Rica Hotel G20

Nobel Peace Center, OsloNobel Peace Center, Oslo

Aker Brygge, OsloAker Brygge, Oslo

The Vigelandspark, OsloThe Vigelandspark, Oslo

monolittenmonolitten

Accomodation in Oslo surroundings?

by PerAsperaAdAstra

Hi guys, I'm planning to spend some days in Oslo in August, but I noticed that hotel room fares are quite high, at least in the city centre. Are there any alternative places a bit off Oslo to stay that are not so expensive with a resonable quick and cheap connection to the city?

Tobias

by hexelein

You could try Haraldsheim Vandrerhjem (youth hostel) in Oslo. It's not very central, but it's fairly cheap and the standard is okay.

You could also try Holtekilen Vandrerhjem, which is just outside of Oslo.

by adema29

We have been there for few nights and, two years ago, the best option we had was the Bastion hotel:
A bit "oldish" but cheaper than the average ones and, most important, clean and reasonably close to the center. Actually it is at walking distances to most of city's attractions.
During night the place is going crazzy but for us it wasn't a problem. For more details: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/bf576/3462a/3/
If you need even more details, just ask us ;)

by hexelein

The Bastion is around 1000 NOK pr night for a single room in August, so I wouldn't really call it inexpensive. It is central, but in a rather shady part of town (prostitutes, junkies, bankers and E18). I'd rather go for Cochs Pensjonat in that case, just as central (without the company) and about half the price.

by adema29

I haven't said that this is a cheap Hotel, but cheaper than the others and, most important, it is an Hotel at least ;)
For a cheap accommodation (especially in Norway) you may choose a bench in a park or in the Central train Station (which is-by the way-only few hundred meters from Bastion Hotel :))
I have mentioned also that the location is not the best but if you sleep on nights (as we use to do) is nothing bad to sleep at Bastion.
And, don't forget that not all of us likes "cheap" places.
All the best!
PS. I am not saying that this is the best one but the best we could find at a reasonable price.

by hexelein

The OP asked for something "not so expensive", hence me naming cheaper places to stay. The Bastion is indeed less pricey than I thought it would have been, but 1000 NOK is not what I think of as "not so expensive".

I am well aware of the possibilities of spending nights on benches (though the central station is not an option, as it closes at night), but I would not recommend doing so in that particular area :-P

by adema29

It depends of course on the meaning of "expensive" for every person.
I am dealing more with comparatives. Like "less expensive", "more expensive", "most expensive" and so on.
Than, when I am traveling I am looking for some cheaper-less expensive options but not under a certain level. And my lower level is 3 stars, mainly because I have a kid and I cannot risk too much.
If a place is too expensive for my pocket I would reconsider the need of going there, instead of sleeping in a room without bathroom.
And... I didn't know about the train station.
Shall we consider than sleeping "cheap" in Vigenald Park then? :-)) At least there you can enjoy the "cool" environment :)

Travel Tips for Oslo

Gledespredern

by littlesam1

I have no idea who or what this statue represents. I came across it walking from the Royal Palace to the City Hall. It stands in the middle of the sidewalk in front of a movie theater. I found the tall lanky fellow quite interesting. Don't ask me why because I don't know. Jim, the other guy in the hat, asked me why are you taking a picture of that strange statue. My answer was I don't know I just like it. I tried looking up Gledespredern on Google and received all kinds of links but none in English.

If you are in Oslo and you are walking to the City Hall and see this fellow, think of me and perhaps give him a smile.

Visit the world's largest THX...

by Christer81

Visit the world's largest THX cinema (www.thx.com) The sound and picture is the most important factor when you see a film, so why not see it with the best technology in the world? =) You find this cinema at Majorstua - Metro #1 - #5 westbound

Norwegians rock!

by bpwillet

My favorite memory of Oslo is hanging out with some really awesome people! I know I have made friends for life and they are incredible people. I was able to see Oslo, and Norway for that matter through their eyes as they see it. In my opinion that is one of the best ways to see a new city/country. I feel blessed to have had the opportunity.

a pharmacy open all days and nights

by Hildeal

So if you need to go to a pharmacy in the middle of the night this is the only place in Oslo where you can get it

it's quite busy in there. So if it's not urgent I would go to another pharmacy.

You'll find it out outside of Oslo city or just follow the drug users.

if you want to save money don't by meds without prescription here. you might end up paying two or third as much you would do in ordinary food stores.

The Viking Ship Museum. ...

by CandS

Visit the Viking Ship Museum. It has three wonderful old viking ships inside, two have been restored to show what they were really like and the other is in 'original' condition... There are also other items discovered at Viking burial sites...

Huk aveny 35, 0287 Oslo