Bryne Kro Hotel

Arne EkelandArne Ekeland

Campsites, car hire & beaches near Stavanger

by teamok

Hi all,

Me and my girlfriend will be travelling to Norway in late August/Early September and need some advice!

1) Camping

Where are the most beautiful campsites near Stavanger?

2)Car hire & beaches

Searching online it seems that car hire is very expensive in Norway - average price seems to be about 475NOK/£50 per day... almost double what my local placein the UK costs!) so we will need to limit the number of days we will hire a car for.

We will mainly be using the car to travel from Stavanger to Bergen but would like to have the freedom of a car to visit some of the beaches near Stavanger. Obviously if some of the best beaches are less than 10Km from our campsite and can be reached by public transport then it may not be worth having a car from this part of our trip...

Any advice you can give is greatly appreciated!

Owen.

by adema29

Woww… I have just finished few minutes ago my page about the Camping in Brusand.
Take a look and think about it: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/bf576/362f7/3/#2099741
Anyway, you'll need a car to go there.
If you want to go from Stavanger to Bergen take the boat.
It will be much faster and, if you'll do the reservation for it in the morning, before 9:00 as far as I remember, you'll get some good offers.
Anyway is cheaper than paying all the road taxes, ferries and so on.
For details about the area, and many useful things... check our pages about the area. And ask more specific questions in you need to.
About renting cars... I have rented once a car for three days, only because it was cheaper than it would be for two days ;)

by 2giants

We took a boat between
It was a lot of fun, and great scenery - and you can save your car hire dollars!

by teamok

Thanks for the advice guys!

I think I have looked at a route which will take us from Stavanger to Bergen with an overnight stop in Odda. This way we will take in Langfoss, Låtefossen, Vøringsfoss and a drive along some of Hardangerfjorden.

How does this sound???

This is the Norway we want to see so I think we will make car hire savings in other parts of our holiday.

I will start a new question about other things to see on the drive from Stavanger to Bergen.

Thanks again!

by adema29

It seems that you choose a good solution for this.
That area around Odda is beautiful, especially in May-June. And there is very quiet… too quiet in my opinion :)
If you'll spend the night there, try to find your way up to the Folgefonn Glacier. Take a look at my photos to have an image of what you'll find up-there: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/bf576/35371/1/
You’ll find in your way down to Odda some amazing waterfalls, and all the scenery is breathtaking.
If you want to make some stops, It might be a good idea to plan a trip to Preikestolen, or at least the Boat trip on Lysefjorden. This is more impressive (in my opinion) than Hardangerfjorden.
Another option is Avaldsnes, Norwegian’s first capital: http://www.avaldsnes.org/

Travel Tips for Stavanger

Summer: Just walk around in...

by Humbla

Summer: Just walk around in the centre of town, buy the worlds best (!) ice cream at Finns Konditori or a bag of shrimps in the harbour. Have a cold drink in one of the outdoor cafes, relax, enjoy!
Winter: Many interesting museums and art galleries - and something warming in a cafŽ afterwards. Everything is in a short walking distance, even if Stavanger is the fourth largest city in Norway. Nightlife is great, and there are lots of good restaurants, all in the (partial car free) centre of town. A great variety of shops, I always find what I need (and more).

Utstein Kloster-Utstein Abbey

by adema29

This is one of the medieval monasteries in Norway. It is said that this is the best preserved one and I will believe it, mostly because I haven’t seen any other one yet.
What I can say is that the church is beautiful. It is an early Gothic building and you’ll see this in my photos.
The area is a very typical Norwegian one, the swans are there on the still lake, and the sheep, the old grave and rocky hills, small wooden houses and green pastures.
If you love the nature and you need to spend some time with yourself, this may be a good place to go. And it’s only 30 minutes driving from Stavanger.

They like a lot sports...all of them

by adema29

It was a surprise when I first came here, to see everywhere people running, biking, skying, going to the gym, playing football or simply walking in alert rhythm.
Even the girls are playing football for pleasure.
I am a lazy man and it was annoying me to see people older than my father speeding-up around the lakes around with nice smiles on their ridgy faces...
I admire them and I am always promising to myself that "tomorrow" I will start too
Every single day for more than six months... :(
As a fact, the life expectancy in Norway is 81,5 years, Norway being in top ten at this indicator.

Stavanger's Cultural Centre

by BlackTshirt

Kulturhuset - The culture house has a library, a very comfortable cinema, an art museum, a kids' museum, an outdoor cafe in the centre of town, and a fantastic music library with tens of thousands of cds and dvds for rental, including comprehensive jazz and soul sections. A great resource. Go to my website at www.blacktshirts-stavanger.blogspot.com for my Stavanger Top 10 list and links.

Rosenli

by Rusket

Rosenli is a beautiful recreational area close to the city. It would take you 20 - 25 minutes to get there by foot from downtown. Or you could go by bus no 4A or 4B to the end stop; a roundabout by the buildings on top of the hill. NB check that the bus is marked "Rosenli", or you would end up on the other side of the city ;-) From the roundabout walk between the tall and the lower buildings and you will find the walkway that ends where the two people are. See the linked map and / or check my "things to do" tip about hiking / biking close to the city.

There is a nice walking / biking path here, barbeque areas, lawns excellent for sunbathing and a couple of snug beaches. The path continues to Godalen along Gandsfjorden (towards the photographer), another, or should we say the same, nice recreational area. You could go directly to Godalen by bus no 6.

Comments