Thon Trondheim Hotel

Satisfaction Average

Rated 12% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

• globetrott's Profile Photo

very BAD Service,when I asked for a phonecall

I did not stay in this hotel, BUT I tried to make a telephone-call from their reception because of an emergency :
    I had car-problems in Trondheim and had to phone to Austria in order to inform my insurance about it !
    In Austria and the rest of Europe you can simply go to a big hotel and make these telephone-calls and pay for them afterwards at the reception.
    I tried this in 3 hotels:
    The first was quite small and could not do it,
    the 2nd that I tried was the large THON-Hotel in the centre and the lady there at the reception said first, that is OK, but the other lady next to her insisted that I could make telephonecalls from any room BUT when I am not living there, I also cannot make a phonecall from the reception
    ..................................................
    Not everybody in Trondheim is unflexible, because I finally found a nice person working in a NARVESEN-shop, he gave me his private cellphone and even did not take any money for that great service.
    I spent a long time there talking with him while I was waiting for several calls that came from my insurance in Vienna, from my travelagency etc. who had to book my flights back to Austria and to change my booking for the Hurtigrute-ship, that will start sailing from Bergen on Sunday 13th to Kirkenes and back to Bergen.

Directions: In the centre of town

• knerten's Profile Photo

A great value

I stayed here for business, 3 weeks (3 x 1 week) in the Spring of 2003. I chose an "economy" room, slightly smaller than the average and only a twin size bed, but that's ok with me. I was only sleeping there anyway.

Unique Quality: In the off-season, during mid-week, this hotel offers an evening buffet (supper) included in the price (breakfast is always included at Norwegian hotels).

It's located in the same building as a small shopping mall, which is nice if you're bored hanging out in your room.

• Gard's Profile Photo

Great location in the middle of Trondheim

I stayed at the hotel for one night in January 2003. One of the best thing about the hotel is that it is located in the middle of Trondheim so you are within a couple of minutes to e.g. Nidarosdomen.

The lobby was small but the person behind the counter was helpful. I brought a laptop and it turned out the the hotel had wireless internet (WLAN) and I could loan a WLAN card for my PC at the lobby. I also bought a card that would give me internet access for 24 hours. Well, in the end I never got it to work. I think it is either my PC that is getting a bit old or maybe my PC skills are not that great. But in the morning when I checked out I told the woman in the reception that I had not been able to use this service and I got my money back :-)

As I said the lobby is kinda small and when I got to my floor (I had a room on the first floor) I had to go through a little maze to find my room. The room itself was OK. When I first got it I noticed that the room had a tiled floor to start with and then it went over to a wooden floor. I prefer these surfaces compared to the traditional carpet. The "hall" of the room was equipped with a normal size wardrobe and a little kitchen. There was a a place where you could prepare some food and there was also a little fridge, a couple of small cabinets containing some plates and pots and a sink where you could get some dish washing done.

The bed were two beds that were put together, I had a normal size (for a hotel) TV with the standard channels and pay TV, a couple of soft chairs and a table and a little desk. There was also a mini bar with drinks, nuts and chocolate. But I seldom use this because when you are in a middle of town it is much cheaper to go to the nearest grocery store to get the same stuff. In the room I also found an iron and an ironing board and I guess that can be useful.

Unique Quality: The bathroom was a bit small: there was a sink, a toilet, a bath tub and there was a shower curtain in front of this if you like to just take a shower. On the wall by the mirror there was a hair drying machine. The bath room was tiled by the way. In the bath room I also found small bottles of shampoo and little soap bars but I don't use these to often. I think there was a shower cap and a sewing kit as well.

My room was located in such a way that I had windows towards Kongensgate. There is a bit of traffic here so it was a bit noisy to start with. But in the evening the traffic disappears and it was not a problem going to sleep. The bed itself was nice and comfortable.

The weather is not always that great in Norway and by the door I found an umbrella that I could use when going out.

When I travel I don't really like to go out and eat a big meal. Normally I just settle for some fast-food. And you will find both McDonald's and Burger King within two minutes walk from the hotel. I think there is a restaurant in the hotel but I never checked it out. I had breakfast at the hotel in the morning. It was a standard Norwegian breakfast where you can get fresh bread with lots of things to have on it (cheese, jam, pate, fish and so on). The bread was VERY fresh (still warm). There is nothing like fresh piece of bread with Norwegian brown cheese and honey :-) Try it out and you will see that is a nice way to start the day. Apart from the bread there were different kinds of cereal and on the side there were juice, milk, coffee and tea.

If you bring along a car I think you will have to park it in a public parking house. But the person in the lobby can give you instructions about that. If you take the bus from the airport is basically stops right outside the hotel.

Like most other "small" Norwegian hotels (there is about 130 rooms) they don't have that many other facilities such as a pool. But they do have non-smoking rooms and even rooms for people with problems with allergy.

Comments