Clarion Hotel Bryggen

Booking.com www.choice.no Hotels.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• toonsarah's Profile Photo

Harbour-side in Tromsø

We booked this hotel through a UK tour operator, Simply Sweden, and chose it for its location, which was very near the harbour and only five minutes’ walk from the Hurtigruten ferry terminal. On the whole we were very happy with our choice, though it had both pros and cons.

In addition to the location, the pros included a very good-sized room with a comfortable bed and large bathroom with walk-in shower and under-floor heating (very welcome in this climate). The room was nicely decorated although the photo on the ceiling immediately above the bed, which appeared to be of seaweed, was slightly odd. When we returned from our Hurtigruten cruise we had another room in the same hotel and found exactly the same photo in the same place, so it’s evidently a design feature but one that was lost on us! The room had a TV (which I don’t recall ever turning on) and hairdryer, but (and here are the cons) far too little storage, with room to hang only a handful of items. There were also no facilities for making a coffee or tea, which I would normally expect in a room of this general standard.

Back on the positives, we had a friendly welcome and one receptionist was especially helpful, organising a late check out for us at no extra charge and answering our questions about buses etc. She took an interest in how our Northern Lights tour had gone, and when we returned from the Hurtigruten cruise remembered us and asked about that too.

Breakfast was included and was very good. As meals here are expensive we made the most of it, and only had a very small lunch to save money. There was a choice of juices, coffee (from filter or machine espressos, cappuccinos etc.), cereals, dried and fresh fruits, various yoghurts, good rolls and bread, cheeses, cold meats, fish, jams and a selection of hot dishes. It was served in the ground floor restaurant which, if you can get a window seat as we did most mornings, has views of the harbour.

The hotel has a small fitness centre on the top floor and an outdoor Jacuzzi, also with a harbour view. We went up to look at this but never got round to using any of the facilities here.

Overall I would recommend the hotel but only for a short stay, as the lack of storage could be rather irritating if staying for any length of time.

Next tip: lunch at a nearby restaurant, Kaia

Directions: If arriving on the Flybussen from the airport, get off at the last stop (Rica Ishavshotel), walk through the parking area by the harbour, and turn left past the hotel’s restaurant. See location on Google maps

• shugoey's Profile Photo

Close to the harbour

Nice hotel close to the harbour. My room had no view, but the harbour is just outside the door. They have a nice reception area and a good breakfast.

Unique Quality: Location and price

Directions: Close to the harbour

More about Clarion Hotel Bryggen

Advise on hotel in Tromso - can you help?

by zaharrah

Can anyone recommend a good hotel to stay in Tromso?

I want to be sure that I get a good place to stay as it's my 40th birthday, so I want comfort, warmth, and good service!

I have two hotels reserved, and almost veering towards staying at the Radisson Blu for safety's sake as it's a hotel chain I know.

Price is not really the issue, although needs to be within reason. I seldom go on holiday, and I want this to be a memorable experience for the right reasons (ie a good time rather than rubbish hotel!)

Any advice is very much appreciated. I'm going in January 2011.

by Durfun

I'd go along with Rad Blu :-)

by henry14

I had a good stay at the Clarion Collection With. If you ask for a room with a Harbour View you get fantastic views across the harbour, to the bridge and the Arctic Cathedral.

by KakapoTheParrot

We stayed in the Rica Ishavs Hotel Tromso. Right on the key side, one of the best hotels we've used anywhere in the world. The coastal steamer pulls up outside the hotel. When we arrived they receptionist apologised and said it would be leaving shortly. I couldn't have been more excited to find a ship parked outside the hotel for an hour. Tromso is gorgeous, just gorgeous.

by ArcticNetski

I would go for either Rica Ishavshotel or Clarion Hotel Bryggen.

RIca is where most of the 'high flying guests" in Tromso stay, and has - as mentioned earlier - a great port side location.

Clarion Hotel Bryggen lies just nearby - and I say this because of their outdoor jacuzzi - which is a big bonus :)

Radisson is also nice, particularly now that they have refurbished it.

All these hotels lie bang in the middle of town, more or less right next to each other, although Radisson lies behind Rica, so does not have the port side location.

Good luck :)

by rjsol

With doubt, I'd go for Rica.

Comments