Kilinskiego 14, Gliwice, 44-100, Poland

Wieczorka StreetWieczorka Street

Travel Tips for Gliwice

Zapiekanki

by GlobalSoul

Zapiekanki is the plural of zapiekanka, a Polish street food that I first tried in Gliwice. It is very simple and fortunately I was able to recreate this treat when I got home! There is a choice of vegetarian zapiekanka or non-veggie zapiekanka, available from your local late-night take-away! I only tried the vegetarian one, but can highly recommend! Somewhat similar to a pizza, it is essentially a baguette sliced length-wise, then layered up with first a layer of grilled/fried mushrooms, then a layer of BBQ sauce, and then a layer of cheese melted on top. The whole thing is then finished off with generous amounts of fresh chives! It makes for a juicy, delicious post-beer-garden snack!

The main street

by katmag

Zwyciestwa is the main street in Gliwice. It begins at the train station and ends at the main square. On this street you can do all your shopping at the mall (ul. Zwyciestwa 52), or at the market (where you can buy just about anything, and really cheap). You can also see the tram in this picture. There are only two tram lines here, so the best way to get around is the mini busses which can take you all over.

750 Year Anniversary

by katmag

I guess i can't recommend for anyone to go to this particular event, because it will never happen again. It was the 750 year anniversary of the city Gliwice. It was held in front of the Silesian University (in Gliwice of course). We almost got kicked out for bringing beer onto the main event area. Can you imagine my disbelief? This is Europe! And we're talking beer here! We continued drinking our beers, however, on the sly, out of brown paper bags. How very cosmopolitan :).

Gwara

by katmag

There's a dialect of Polish spoken here that's called Gwara. Whenever I meet someone from Gliwice, and they find out that I'm from here too, they try to talk to me in Gwara, and I have no idea what they're saying. It's like a different language.

Diabelki (Little devils)

by katmag

Don't miss these little guys! They are a fountain that has become a sort of symbol of Gliwice. Diabelki are a fountain in front of what used to be one of the most glamorous and expensive hotels in this region. Unfortunately, this beautiful building burned down, and today an ugly communist thing stands in its place. Diabelki is one of the two meeting places in Gliwice. If you come here, you will hear the young people make plans to meet either at Diabelki, or at the Neptune (which is a fountain of Neptune in the main square).

Comments