ul Haffnera 59, Sopot, Baltic Coast, 81715, Poland

Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Costs 63% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

4* hotel with indoor pool and sauna

My girlfriend and I stayed at Hotel Haffner for 2 nights during a visit to Sopot in January 2010.

We booked our stay directly with the hotel via its website and paid 240 Zloty (about £50) per night for a double room with no breakfast.

I had visited Sopot a few years earlier and stayed at the Zhong Hua hotel on the beach. This time, we were attracted by the indoor pool and sauna facilities at Hotel Haffner (given the cold wintery conditions outdoors!) and the attractive off-season room rates.

Location

Hotel Haffner is located on Jana Jerzego Haffnera, a street that runs parallel to the seafront, but some 400-500m inland.

A 5 minute walk along this street brings you to Bohaterow Monte Cassino, a pedestrianised street lined with restaurants, bars and shops which I have come to think of as the centre of Sopot. A further 5 minutes walk towards the sea then brings you to the "Molo" pier.

Alternatively, from the junction of Jana Jerzego Haffnera and Bohaterow Monte Cassino walk inland for a little over 5 minutes and you will find Sopot's train station which has frequent trains to the neighbouring cities of Gdansk and Gdynia.

We arrived at Gdansk airport some time after midnight on a cold January night (temperatures plunged to minus 28C!) and thankfully we had the foresight to pre-arrange our taxi transfer to the hotel. We booked this directly with the hotel at a cost of 85 Zloty (approx. £17) and they arranged for a driver to be waiting for us outside the arrivals gate.

Bedroom

Our room was well furnished, comfortable and everything I'd expect from a 4* hotel.

The double bed (a proper double, not two singles squeezed together) was large and comfortable.

Furnishings included a desk with a stool, a coffee table and two chairs, a cupboard with a TV on top of it, bedside tables, a set of drawers and a large wardrobe. There were also plenty of lamps to give the spacious room plenty of light.

The thing that I most remember about the room is that it was toasty warm! The outside temperature was the coldest that I'd ever experienced (minus 28C), but the room was delightfully warm. It was so warm that it lulled me into a false sense of security that I could go outside with fewer layers on. It was so warm that I would occasionally open the window for a blast of fresh air, before slamming the window shut a few seconds later as I remembered just how cold it was out there!

The en-suite bathroom was rather elegant; a mixture of ornate tiling, polished wooden panels and large mirrors. It was spotlessly clean and contained a bath tub with shower attachment. Fresh towels and complimentary toiletries were provided.

Breakfast

We paid extra for breakfast on one of the mornings of our stay. It was exceptionally good, but somewhat expensive at 70 Zloty (£14) per person.

The buffet consisted of cereals, fruit, yoghurt, pastries, cold meats, cheeses and a number of cooked items such as boiled eggs, bacon, sausages and mushrooms. There was also an egg station where you could get a freshly prepared omelette or fried eggs. There was a selection of fruit juices, teas and coffee.

An excellent breakfast – but I wouldn't pay that price every day!

General

The main reason for us booking this hotel was the indoor leisure facilities – namely the swimming pool, jacuzzi and sauna.

With the outside temperatures so cold, it was great to be able to retreat into the warmth of the sauna and hot tub after a chilly day of sightseeing.

The swimming pool was a good size and ideal for swimming lengths. It also contained various power jet settings; I found it good exercise to turn on the jets and attempt to swim against them.

We enjoyed a nice meal at the hotel's restaurant and then retired to the plush bar area where we sampled Goldwasser vodka (vodka with pieces of gold leaf in it) for the first time.

A warm and comfortable retreat from the harsh Polish winter. Stylish rooms, an exceptional (but costly!) breakfast and indoor swimming and sauna facilities. Highly recommended!

• johnkebab's Profile Photo

Excellent hotel with great value for money

I've stayed in the hotel Haffner on 2 separate occasions, for about a week each time. The whole experience makes it one of the nicest hotels I've stayed in, which was great, as I wasn't expecting it.
    The staff are young and enthusiastic (which always helps if you're looking for a good place to go on a night time) and they speak English, the bar is well stocked and cheap (for westerners), they have a REALLY cool art collection in the main lobby with some very original and interesting pieces of sculpture and paintings that you can buy, I wish I had a photo to show you guys, but believe me, they were really really well made and showed excellent craftsmanship.
    The hotel rooms are modern, clean and very relaxing to be in, the hotel is located about 10 -15 minutes walk from the centre of town, literally walk out of the door, turn right and keep walking, you'll get there.

Unique Quality: The morning buffet is exquisite, a very large spread, omellette chef with grill ready to make the omellettes of you choice, again, friendly waiters and a really nice restaurant too.
    The food in general at the hotel is to a very high standard, I can't remember how many stars the hotel has, but it really is very good.

Directions: If I were you, I'd look in my transportation tips and phone Marion, he'll pick you up from the airport and bring you there.

Comments