Marten

John Paul II statueJohn Paul II statue

The basilicaThe basilica

Church, Wadowice, PLChurch, Wadowice, PL

Church, Wadowice, PLChurch, Wadowice, PL

Is Wadowice the same as Katowice?

by jasonbur

I may be passing through there and spending 24 hours in Katowice. Is there anything to do there or will me and my friend be completely bored??

thanks!

Re: Is Wadowice the same as Katowice?

by Ben-UK

No, they're not the same place, although they're not all that far apart geographically. Wadowice is the birthplace of the current Pope John Paul 11.

I've never been to Wadowice, but if it's Katowice you're going to there is some information on my Katowice page -- it's not a tourist destination at all, but I like it.

Regards,
Ben

Travel Tips for Wadowice

Where pope was born

by matcrazy1

I am not crazy about any religion but... it was great and moving for me to see a house when pope John Paul II (Karol Wojtyla) was born. He was elected the head of the Roman Catholic Church on 16th October 1978 and took the name of John Paul II. He is the first non-Italian pope for over 300 years.

To see the family house of pope John Paul II.

I remember that day

by matcrazy1

Looking at the house and courtyard of former papal house I thought about that day he was unexpectadly chosen a pope.

Haha, I remember that day: 16 Oct. 1978. All church bells started to ring in Krakow that day. Next day there were long queques to buy newspapers although the communist mass media put exclusively small official info on that event. Fortunately we could hear (although it was forbidden) the Voice of America and Radio Free Europe that time. All people around Poland were talking exclusively about it that time.

Commemorating plate

by matcrazy1

There is a commerating plate on the wall of pope John Paul II house. The inscription is in Polish. My translation:
In this house Karol Jozef Wojtyla was born on 18th May 1920 and he lived there, pope John Paul II.

It's the most popular place of taking pictures in Wadowice, I am sure. Even at night :-).

Oscypek

by jo104

On the street corner we found a lady selling smoked cheese I bought one sheeps milk and the other made with cows milk. We also saw them grilling these cheeses on an open fire in Krakow. These cheeses is made from salted unpasturised sheeps milk and pressed into spindle shapes and stored in brine.

Papal flags

by matcrazy1

Natives are proud of Wadowice most famous citizen - pope John Paul II. No wonder. You can find a lot of white-yellow papal flags around town. Add portraits of pope sometimes put in windows of private houses. I saw even a banner on a city hall building: City Hall of Wadowice trusts in Holy Father.

Comments