Polonia

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 36% less than similarly rated 2 star hotels

• bonio's Profile Photo

Hotel Polonia

Large, clean and comfy room for us, good location close to the railway station and a short walk to the city centre. A decent buffet breakfast included in our price.
    Very happy to stay here again.

• Airpunk's Profile Photo

A glimpse of former glory-good value for the money

Personally, I like this kind of hotel you find in many countries of the former eastern block. It is the kind of hotel which was a prestige object in the communist era, but has not seen many changes since the 1970s. These hotels offer a good accommodation for a good price as well as a time travel back to the era of Brezhnev and Gierek.

Unique Quality: Hotel Polonia is well located, very close to the central station and within just a few minutes' walk from the market square. The rooms were clean, but as I said not really modern anymore, sometimes in real need for renovation. It was quite basic, but at least en-suite with TV. However, not only price and location were good. The staff was friendly and the breakfast (warm, eastern European buffet style), which was served in a neighbouring restaurant, was excellent.
    I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a little more than a hostel room, but is happy with a basic hotel room with eastern European flair. Nothing comfortable, but worth its money.

Directions: Take the train station exit towards the old town and turn left into Pilsudkiego street. After a five minute walk, you will see the hotel on the right hand side.

• alectrevor's Profile Photo

It will be nice when building work finished.

I knew building work was taking place so i am not too critical, all i can say is the work is needed. I was budgeting at the end of a long holiday, having paid 470,230,157 zolty etc,this at 129 zolty was a bargain. I was asked to view hotel and room before saying yes.

Directions: 400m left down main road from rail station., passing the Europejski hotel now newly named which i cant remember.

• Turska's Profile Photo

Like a jorney back in time

We wanted to get as cheap rooms as possible,so we took a room from"not renovated"side of hotel.Whole hotel was like a jorney back in time.I haven´t gone to eastern-Europe in communism-times,but I can imagine,that the style was this.Very long hallways everything terrible old brown,cut clas chandeliers,and breakfast-room was like old russian style night-club(as we´ve seen on photos).But it was all fun,and everything was quite clean,even if the toilet felt like it was antique from 1940´s or something.
    Only thing I really didn´t like for real,was the breakfast.There was allmost nothing to put on your sandwitch,all was very greasy ham or similar and there was NO TEA!!!I got"angry"(I´m a terrible morning-person!),when I didn´t get tea for breakfast!I don´t drink coffee.I allways have teabags with me,but there wasn´t even hot water-only thing was some red herbal-drink,that was hot,if you don´t drink coffee.I hate herbal"tea",so I had only cold juice.We had to stop on gas-station to get me some tea after leaving.I allways had very dry throat at morning,and nothing cold helps for it.
    But even so,I might go here again,if the price is o.k.And maybe to renovated side.

Unique Quality: Short walk to old town.24h open shop behind the corner.Security-parking place over the road(not hotels own,but not expensive)

• evona's Profile Photo

in city`s centre

Unique Quality: 145 single and double rooms and appartaments.
    In the hotel there are a restaurant for 80 persons and a banquet hall for 100 persons. 50 m from hotel there is a parking.

Directions: In the centre of city. About 500 to the Wroclaw Glowny ( train station) and 600 m to the bus station.
    500 m to the Main Square.

More about Polonia

Krakow: 1 address

by call_me_rhia about Hotel Polonia

Hotel Polonia is a 3 star hotel just around the corner from the main station in Krakow. It''s also within the perimeter of the old royal city, next to the Barbican - all the attractions are within walking distance (5 minutes for the Rynek - 20 minutes for Wavel Hill). The hotel dates back to the beginning of the century and it''s located in a nice building. Inside one can also find a hairdresser and a beauty parlour. Rooms have satellite TV, which helps when you don''t know Polish. There's a restaurant in there, too - but I never saw anyone eating there

Great value, great place.

by altizachen about Hotel Polonia Krakow

I was a little skeptical when I made an online reservation for Hotel Polonia in Krakow. Not to worry, it’s a fine hotel for its price and a great location too. A short walk from the train station, right across the street from The Old City, and a 5 minute stroll to all the nightlife.

They have a fantastic Polish restaurant in the hotel. Unbelievably cheap! You can eat a full meal with drinks for about $15 U.S. The staff is very friendly too. You won’t go wrong with this hotel for the price that they charge. Great dining, if you like real Polish cuisine. Nice views. Friendly staff.

if you decide to visit the...

by hanspeter_W.

if you decide to visit the cultural town of Krakow I would recommend Hotel Polonia in the center, comfortable and reasonable price

hotel poloniahotel polonia

katowice - any opinions?

by cafi

Hi
I wil be flying from katowice to Budapest next week and have the option of going to katowice a day or two before. is there anything to do there? can anyone recommend a hostel etc? i don't seem to be able to find any information on it.
Any opinions or advice?
Thanks
cafi
x

by bjakobss

We also wanted to stay in Katowice once, as we were flying to and from Katowice (to Stockolm), but as it seemed to be impossible to get any information about a youth hostel there we gave up and we decided to go directly from the airport with bus to Krakow instead.

Birjak

by Ben-UK

Katowice is not a tourist destination -- I worked there for a while in 2000 and always enjoy going back but I have friends there and for me it's a bit like going home. The city centre is fairly small and there are not many shops and also the city doesn't have a historic Rynek like most Polish cities. From a tourist point of view there's really just the museum (Muzeum Slaski) and the theatre (Teatr Slaski) which are both right in the centre and the enormous Chorzowski Park is a tramride away.

I don't know of any hostels there but the Hotel Katowice has cheap rates on Fridays and Saturdays (it's just a 10 minute walk from the train/bus stations)and there's the Hotel Polonia also near the stations.

Details of all the above on my Katowice page (except Hotel Polonia).

So, you might enjoy a brief visit to experience a non-tourist Polish city but you wouldn't fill 2 days sightseeing.

by adventurerjk

How about flying to Katowice and spending a day or two in Krakow? It's not too far from Katowice, and you'll probably find more to do.

James

RE: RE: katowice - any opinions?

by cafi

Thanks for all the advice, i'll probably jsut travel from krakow to the airport.
x

RE: RE: katowice - any opinions?

by LouCypher22

well,frankly speaking Katowice is rather industrial ***hole comparing to other polish cities,it is really close to Cracow from there,U can even borrow a car and take highway to cracow
good luck!:)