Vincent Apartaments & Restaurant

SpiochSpioch

Opera houseOpera house

Rotterdam to Wroclaw

by JackieMcCarroll

Can you travel easily by train from Rotterdam to Wroclaw? If so, what connections need to be made? How/where can I find website info to plan for this trip? Typical cost?

Re: Rotterdam to Wroclaw

by qaminari

Yes, it takes between 16 and 19 hours, with a minimum of 2 changes (Utrecht and Poznan or Brussels and Berlin).
You can look up timetables on http://bahn.hafas.de/bin/query.exe/en though it won't give you costs, you might find that on the seat61 website, or just phone the Dutch Railways or try their website, www.ns.nl.

Re: Rotterdam to Wroclaw

by Claude2255

There should be a direct night train from Amsterdam to Poznan where you can change for Wroclaw.

It is best to buy the ticket for Poznan-Wroclaw upon arrival in Poznan.

Travel Tips for Wroclaw

Visit the Spiz brewpub for...

by richiecdisc

Visit the Spiz brewpub for some of the more adventurous beers in Poland. I had a few days to kill before a newly planned rendezvous in Prague so I hatched a plan that would take me to Wroclaw, and then south to Brno and Telc in the Czech Republic before walking across the Charles Bridge. It all looked great on the map until I tried to sync it up with the train schedule. Getting to Wroclaw was not the problem, there were ample trains, and so I took an early one to ensure a full day there. It was the stretch to Brno that would lead to lack of sleep. There was only one and it was part of the Berlin to Budapest run and hence arrived at Wroclaw at the odd hour of 11:00 pm. To make matters worse, it would pull into Brno at 4:15 am! I decided to put the money out for a sleeper as it was very inexpensive and figured a few good hours sleep would be worth it. I arrived about noon to a drizzly Wroclaw, and headed right for the local brewpub. It was an upscale affair and must say, I feared the beer would be bland at best, but was pleasantly surprised with it. I had my fill and decided to venture out for some photos but it was still raining. I did a walk about for a couple hours, taking some dismal pictures and went for a tasty fish dinner. With very little zloty left, I went to the train station early and waited in the cold, dank reception hall for some time before spending what little money I had on a small snack and some water for the train. Though it was on time, it seemed like I was there forever and was quite happy to hop aboard and not have to look for a seat. I hoped my compartment was not too full and was ecstatic to find it empty. In fact, the conductor told me, my entire train car was empty! What luck. He said that I could just sleep and he would wake me ten minutes before we pulled into Brno. I stretched out and felt like a rich kid on a stipend but far too excited to sleep. Of course, no sooner did I nod out and I was being woken up by Polish border officials asking for my passport. A half hour later and it was the Czech border patrol doing their best to keep me awake. I may have managed an hour and an half after that, but needless to say, I was none too happy to be nudged out of my hard but private bed at 4:00 am. The Brno station was a lot nicer than I expected and actually there were quite a few people milling around but knew nothing would be open at that hour, so I set up camp against my backpack and waited for the sun to come up so I could look for a room. It was late October in a non-tourist town; I knew I would find one easily. I was in Brno, the Czech Republic, so I knew I would find a great beer too.

Ostrow Tumski - not only churches

by magor65

Ostrow Tumski is a place with very special atmosphere. This enclave of peace and quiet makes you forget for a few moments about the noise and haste of the city. Of course, what attracts the tourists are mainly the churches with their exciting history and splendid architecture. But I would suggest walking aimlessly along the streets, especially at dusk when the gas lanterns are lit by probably one of the last lamplighters in Poland. What a romantic moment... It may be interesting to know that the first gas lantern was lit in Wroclaw on May23, 1847. Soon, there were lots of gas lanterns all over the city. This system was still very popular after the war. I remember when being a little girl I was waiting for a lamplighter to come with his long pole and light the lanterns in our street. The last gas-lanterns disappeared from Wroclaw streets in 1960's. Luckily the ones in Ostrow Tumski survived. You should also take a walk along the embankments or just sit on a bench and listen to one of the street musicians playing some classical music (somehow rock or pop don't seem to suit the place).

Packing List

by richiecdisc

Bring a tripod for night photos, you can't always find a convenient substitute and they are better than rainy day shots. I obviously did not but this is still the best photo I got of the Old Town Hall.

Sleza Mountain

by magor65

Sleza (718m) - a mountain in the Sudety Highlands is a popular weekend destination for inhabitants of Wroclaw.
In the past Sleza used to be a place of mysterious pagan cult. What remained from those times are the ancient stone sculptures, for example this bear that can be spotted on top of the mountain.
But today people come here to spend some time walking or cycling rather than solve the puzzles of the past.

Wroclaw on foot

by dhina

I started my walking trip from the main train station. It took me 20-30 mins to reach the market square with limited map from my travel guide book..and also because I was busy taking some pics along the way :-P. After spent some time around market square, I continued my walk to the direction of Cathedral Island, passing through the beautiful University building. I walked along the Odra river, visited the Cathedral. Then crossing the river again to the direction of National Museum and Panorama Racklawicka...it's a nice one-day walking trip :-)

See my pics during the walking trip from the main train station to the market square.

Comments