Gotyk Hotel

Gotyk Hotel
Booking.com Tingo.com Priceline.com

• acemj's Profile Photo

Great place

I arrived in Torun without any hotel reservations, but when I stopped in the lobby of the Hotel Gotyk, I was greeted by a beautiful blonde receptionist who informed me that the rooms were 150 zl per night. For that price (around $50), I figured I didn't have much to lose and so I traipsed up the stairs to the top floor to my little, attic-like room (room 31). I was pleasantly surprised to find a beautiful, cozy space with a view out to the steeples of the main square. The bathroom was spotless and towels and soap were provided. There was a couch with a television, a small desk and a comfortable bed. The staff was friendly and helpful when I asked a few questions about the town. Their restaurant recommendations were perfect!

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL!

Unique Quality: Breakfast is included in the price and there is an on-site restaurant, which I didn't try, but it looks good (a little too fancy for my taste).

More about Torun

An oak stall from the 15th century.An oak stall from the 15th century.

This pic is actually from Bydgoszcz, but anyway...This pic is actually from Bydgoszcz, but anyway...

My father enjoying his lunch ;-)My father enjoying his lunch ;-)

Santo in TorunSanto in Torun

Visiting in August - Need a good reliable and resonable Taxi-Mini Bus

by SRCookie

Hello

New to the site. I am visiting mid August for 2 nights and need a mini-bus transfer for 6 to Torun from Bydgoszcz airport. Can anyone please advise?

Also, any recommendations for nice hotels, maybe with a pool in town for me and my colleagues?

Thanks in advance

Regards
Steve

Re: Visiting in August - Need a good reliable and resonable Taxi-Mini Bus

by sihi

Hi!

Maybe hotels Solaris or Bulwar

Taxi bus you can find in Bydgoszcz airport, i think.
If you will have a time visit also town of Chelmno.

Have a nice time in this beautiful city!!

Travel Tips for Torun

Copernicus heritage

by sihi

Torun is the town where world famous astronomer Nicolaus Copernicus was born. There are lots of monuments remaining about Copernicus in the city. The house where was born, chapel in cathedral where he was christioned, great statue of astronomer near old town hall, house of his uncle, Copernicus university etc.
Torun has also atmospheare of copernicus.

Copernicus mania!

by acemj

Yes, the famous astronomer Nicolaus Copernicus (the Latin derivation of his name, Mikolaj Kopernik) was born right here in Torun in 1473. He attended the University of Krakow and was said to be a master of mathematics and other sciences in addition to astronomy. He is most famous for his heliocentric theories (sun-centered). To get a small glimpse into his insights, here are seven axioms published in his book "Little Commentary" are as follows:
1) there is no one center in the universe.
2) the Earth's center is not the center of the universe.
3) the center of the universe is near the sun.
4) the distance from the Earth to the sun is imperceptible compared with the distance to the stars.
5) the rotation of the Earth accounts for the apparent daily rotation of the stars.
6) the apparent annual cycle of movements of the sun is caused by the Earth revolving round it.
7) the apparent retrograde motion of the planets is caused by the motion of the Earth from which one observes.

But . . . enough of all that science stuff! The best thing about Copernicus is the Copernicus themed gingerbread you can buy all over town. You gotta try a sample of this stuff.

A lot of bureaucracy

by matcrazy1

It seems that we have a lot of beaurocracy in Poland, more: I am sure about it.
Just one small example. Look: there is a 6-story, big administrative building of Nicolaus Copernicus University = NCU (over 34,000 students). How many people work there? 1000? More? Don't they waste our taxes?

Students (citizens of Poland) don't pay for their studies in Poland if they pass entry exams for day, regular studies. Each university earns some money but the rest is paid by central Polish budget = tax-payers. Surely students must pay for food, accommodation, books etc. - usually not so simple for most of them.

One of the best universities!

by matcrazy1

I was on business in Torun last time - on my professional convention which took place at Nicolaus Copernicus University (NCU). I didn't have much time but I surely escaped hehe to visit and take pictures for VT. So, my itinerary around Torun started just at the university.

Etnographical Museum

by Kinia

The Etnographical Museum in Torun is one of the greatest such a museums in Poland. It is located close to the city center. One of the permanent exhibitions they held is "Architecture and village culture of Northern Poland". They have completely equipped farms and cottages in there. And they own great collection of folk art and the village handicraft.

Comments