Cracowrent Apartments

BikeOne - KrakówBikeOne - Kraków

Galeria Krakowska - EntranceGaleria Krakowska - Entrance

Krakow to Strzyzow, Podkarpackie

by novillero

I will be traveling next July to Krakow. I would like to travel to the Strzyzow area, as this is the region that my mother's family was from (100 years ago). I have a few questions...

How much english is spoken in the Strzyzow area and generally outside Krakow?

Is there a guide that can be hired for the Strzyzow area?

What sort of weather can be expected? I will be in Poland from July 12-July 18.

RIght now, I was planning on renting a car, and staying in Krakow on the first couple of nights and the last nights. Therefore, as of right now, I will be outside of Krakow half of the time. Will I need to book in advance when traveling in the country, in July?

Thanks.

Re: Krakow to Strzyzow, Podkarpackie

by henrykkanada

Even in villages, persons under 25 are likely to speak English. Unfortunately not bus drivers or ticket sellers.
Krakow average July weather:
July: 7 average hr sunlight; 15 ave low; 24 ave high; 9 record low; 35 record high; Moderate discomfort from humidity; rel humidity 83% am, 61% pm; 111mm rain; 16 days with more than 0.25mm. The last is meaningless. My experience is about 7 days of much rain.

Travel Tips for Krakow

Places to see in Krakow

by tommar

When in Krakow, you should see the Czartoryski Museum which displays the famous picture by Leonardo da Vinci - A Lady with an Ermine.

Also visit an old abbey in Tyniec

And pay a visit to one of four Krakow`s mounds

Wawel Castle is a must

Wawel castle

by tini58de

The second big area to visit is Wawel castle. It is a hill with a fortification around it, the actual castle (with different exhibits and tours available) and the Cathedral. You have to buy tickets at two different places (one is only for the Cathedral and the other one for the rest). There is a socalled Dragon's grotto, which is only open starting in May.

PORTER beer.

by breughel

Usually I write on VT about museums and monuments. That might give a wrong idea of my real personality. Actually I'm more close to the peasants drinking and dancing as you will see them on the paintings from Pieter Bruegel.

I'll therefore start my comments on Krakow with one of my best experiences there:
the gorgeous dark beer called PORTER from the Okocim brewery.
It tastes like a somewhat sweet Guinness or one of these dark Belgian Monks beers.
They serve it in bottles of 50 cl and it has 8,6° alcohol content!

There is also a PORTER beer from the Zywiec brewery. Has a slightly bitter taste and 9° alcohol.

I'm going to tell you a little...

by DrewV

I'm going to tell you a little story. My friend and I were tired and hungry, so we popped into a little sidewalk Italian place on the rynek. Now, I know that the worst food found in any city is to be had at the sidewalk cafes on the main square. I've had pizza in Florence near the Duomo that should be illegal (the pizza, not the Duomo). I've had Île de la Cité sandwiches that would make a prisoner of war weep for mercy. So I know the pain.

But we were, as mentioned, tired and hungry, so we popped into said Italian restaurant. My pizza was pretty bloody weak, though not bad for main-square food. What is noteworthy was my eating the pizza. Like any patriotic American, I ate with my hands. The gasps from the Polish schoolgirls two tables over were audible. Every person in the restaurant gaped in dumb horror. That's when I knew I loved Krakow.

You see, every city that sees lots of tourists becomes jaded by them. Over-exposure to Americans brings a certain lackadaisical attitude to their table manners. Even Parisians would scarcely bat an eye over your eating pizza without a fork. I mean, they wouldn't invite you over for dinner, but they have become accustomed to Americans and tolerate our offensiveness. What truly amazed me about Krakow was that here was as beautiful a city as any in Europe, yet so few Americans have traveled here that they have yet to accept our table manners. Bravo!

KS Cracovia

by kolabor

Cracovia is the oldest football club in Poland (dating back to 1905) and one of the most distinguished as well: 5x Polish Champions says it all...
Here the club and it's supporters are most well known as PASY (the Stripes) or Craxa (Polish phonetic for Crash) and as far as fans are concerned- have a rather notorious opinion.
No successes in Europe YET, but is known to many because it was always the favourite club of John Paul II who even used to play here (not proffessionally though). Recently after years of third league level the club has recovered thanks to the new sponsor and advanced two leagues in two years- quite impressive way almost to the top as it is already among top clubs in Poland.
Games have rather big attendance in Polish scale, but recently their stadium capacity decreased due to safety problems. Now it's harder to get in, but you shouldn't regret when you do! The clubs symbols are red-white stripes so bringing anything with this theme is a good idea!- not a US flag though as it has also white stars on blue background and White Star is the alternative for Wisla Krakow- the most antagonistic team here :)

Comments