Hotel Amber

Costs 31% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Hotel Amber

An Amber Jewel

by TripAdvisor Member marklondon007

What a jem of a hotel in a surprisingly wonderful city.
From the moment we arrived we loved the Amber. The staff on the front desk were welcoming and friendly and offered some great advice on places to eat and drink, of which all were wonderful, and spread over all budgets.
The breakfast was well above the standard for Europe, it was delicious and plentiful.
The rooms were spotlessly clean, an the daily complimentary treats of biscuits or chocolates and juice or bottled water were a great suprise!
I would highly reccomend staying at The Amber!

Such a friendly and charming place

by TripAdvisor Member mikewazowski

My partner and I have just come back from a short break to Krakow. Our stay only consisted of 3 nights of which we had the pleasure of staying at the Hotel Amber, a brisk walk from Rynek Glowny (the main square). My partner booked this hotel online and as it was a surprise I had no idea where we would be staying. I was more than happy come departure time. We both were.

The place itself is located in a somewhat small side street only a brief 5 minute walk from the central point which has to be the main square. This, being the winter, proved an ideal situation. Surrounding it was various cafes, bars, and amenities such as a chemist and bank offering a cash machine.
The room we were booked into was one of the two which have a balcony. Admittedly the view wasn't breathtaking but it was a more than pleasent addition and came in handy when we needed a breath of fresh air. Because of the season we didn't optimise it's use anyway. The room was reasonably small in size but this factor never concerns me when I am travelling as one tends to spend very little time in their hotel room. The most important thing was that it was clean and offered a double bed and en suite bathroom. The bed was small but comfortable, and the Hotel offered square shaped pillows which were more like cushions to rest our heads on which was an odd touch and I would recommend asking for another if you like your pillows plump. When we arrived we had 2 bottles of apple juice awaiting us and the maid replaced these with water everyday. We also had breakfast in bed on our last morning at no extra cost. The breakfast was wide in choice - offering tea, coffee, juice, toast, cereal, frankfurter style sausages, scrambled egg, and a wide selection of Polish cuisine including cold meats and fish. It is served from 7am until 10am which I was thoroughly pleased with.
The staff at this hotel are more than helpful and are very strong English speakers. They are some of the most polite people I have ever had the fortune of encountering and will even stand to your attention. If you need any assistance be sure to make them your first choice as they are so willing to help. They were courteous, patient, polite, and on such a firiendly level it just rounded off my superb stay in Krakow.

Hotel Amber - Highly Recommended

by TripAdvisor Member happy-holls-cj

What a wonderful hotel! My husband and I have just returned from 2 nights at the Hotel Amber. We booked a double standard lux room through booking.com at a converted rate of £78 per room per night bed & breakfast.

The hotel is a 15min walk from the train station but very easy to find. Upon arriving for check in the reception staff were some of the most friendly and informative I have encountered. They issued us with a free map confirming the excellant position of the hotel which is a 3 minute walk from the old town and a 15-20 minute walk from the jewish quarter. We were also given a free guide book "Krakow in your pocket" which had a wealth of information and tips on just about everything you would need.

The room (no 205) was very big with 2 twin beds pushed together to make a double as well as a sofa which can convert to a bed. We had a gift of 2 bottles of apple juice and chocolates waiting on us when we arrived which is replaced with free bottles of water each day. The room also has a tv, desk, chair, tea & coffee making facilities and ample storage as well as free hotel slippers, sewing kit and shoe shine. The bathroom was lovely and modern with a fab power shower, wc and basin, heated towel rail and a hairdryer. There were the usual free toiletries but little extras such as nicer soaps, toothbrush and toothpaste sets.

The hotel has a lovely fresh look in natural colours and everywhere was spotlessly clean. The reception area is small but has various leaflets available as well as a daily weather forecast printed by the hotel. Each afternoon they provide free tea and coffee and wonderful home made spiced ginger biscuits.

The breakfast room was straight accross from reception and offered a wide choice including tea, coffee, juices, milk, smoothies, breads/rolls, cereals, pancakes, frankerfurter sausages, scrambled egg, toast, yoghurts, fruits, cheeses, ham as well as a more local style of food ranging from fish to salad! Breakfast is served from 7am until 10am.

The breakfast room becomes a bistro in the evening which although we never used the menu did look very nice. A varied choice of local and international meals averaging approx £5-£7 for a main course. A 10% discount card is also available at reception.

All in all this was a wonderful friendly hotel which I would highly recommend. As we were checking out on Valentines Day we were also given a free tin of Lindt chocolates and it is all these little extras which make Hotel Amber stand out from the crowd. It is in an excellant location on a small side street with a bank and a supermarket on the same street. There is a wealth of good eating places within a 2 minute walk from the hotel. If you plan to travel by local bus or train the location is fantastic. Please see my general review of Krakow on trip advisor forum.

Awesome and amazing Amber!!!

by TripAdvisor Member HolidaySaaj

The Amber has it all - honestly. It is well situated, very comfortable, extremely friendly and small enough to feel like a home from home. The hotel is chic and the decor and cleanliness superb.

We stayed for 3 nights and booked directly with the hotel - communication was efficient and thorough and any queries we had were well answered.

The check in was smooth and the reception staff could not have been more helpful. The room was a larger than average double with very powerful shower, very comfy beds and it was very clean. Breakfasts were filling and typical of european style eating.

The hotel is also closely placed to the square (well worth a visit day and night) and right oposite a bank - very useful. A walk from the station will take 10 minutes (platform 1 is the Krakow to airport express every half hour for 6zloty each) or a tram (2.50 Zl) will drop you right at the end of the the road.

Top tips:
Walk from the hotel to most places - central situation.

Eat at Grodsnok restaurant - next door to the Spinx. (Cheap yet atmospheric and nourishing food)

Try the Smalek and bigos - it is heavenly.

Arrange your own trip to Auschwitz and the salt mines. The buses and trains are so close and it is much cheaper (you also see more because you can go at your own pace). A bus trip to Auschwitz will last about 1hour and 30 mins but cost about £4 return. A tour costs £35!!! Read the signs and follow them - it's that easy! The bus station has clearly displayed signs and the Tourist Info place at the station provides you with a list of bus times to help you.

Stay at the Amber - we LOVED it and would recommend it to all of our friends and family - excellent value for money in every way. The warm rooms are a real welcome after a cold Polish day.

We have reviewed lots of world hotels and rarely give a full 5/5. This is the real deal in EVERY way. (see other reviews)

warm welcoming Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Bambrick

We have just come back from a two night stay in the Amber Hotel;From the moment we landed in Krakow and were met by a taxi booked by the Hotel we knew we were in for a treat
The receptionists are friendly and their English is excellent
The room we had was a Deluxe
My only criticism and it is small one was the bed was like two single beds put together -and there was a gap between the two I am used to the one Matress
The breakfasts are fantastic and loads to eat try the Pancakes beautiful
We would stay here again as it is located close to everything

Derek

Can't wait to return

by TripAdvisor Member Jahy

Have just returned from a fantastic 2 night stay at the Hotel Amber.

I have to agree with previous reviews - the rooms, the staff, the location, everything about this hotel was great.

Our room was a lux room and was large and spacious, with twin beds, a sofa, a writing desk, and well-stocked tea and coffee making facilities (free apple juice, bottled water, chocolates and a selection of teas).

All the staff on reception and the restaurant staff were kind and efficient and happy to help. We ate in the restaurant and enjoyed a wonderful meal at great value.

The hotel is located 2 minutes from tram and bus stops, and a leisurely 5 minutes from the main square. The surrounding streets has ATMs, cafes, restaurants, chemists and other conveniences. A good base for exploring the whole city.

SPOTLESS & FREINDLY

by TripAdvisor Member PaullT

Lovely hotel spotessl clean, very helpfull and freindly staffcant do enough for you, great location 5 mins walk to old town, great value for money brand new condition. We stayed 4 nights 4-8th march 08.
Tip try out a bar called Pod Wevelem, down the end of town by the Wevel castle, breat food great beer, very nice staff, ask for the home made lemon vodka WOW

Spot on!

by TripAdvisor Member Amber9

I chose this hotel on the basis of the reviews on here, and I have to say, I am so glad I did. Everything is spot on, the friendly and welcoming staff, the spotlessly clean comfortable bedroom, the lovely bathroom, the great location, the tasty breakfast.....
Would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone, and Krakow is a fantastic place to visit.

Good choice

by TripAdvisor Member Valbeasixties

We have just returned from a 3 night stay at this hotel, chosen due to its great reviews. We were not able to book it through the hotel website, but managed to obtain a room through a polish website already mentioned on a review.
We had room 106 - a standard double - which had a huge bathroom as it was wheelchair accesible and is situated at the back of the hotel.
The hotel is spotlessly clean and, as mentioned several times already, the staff are friendly, helpful and professional. The breakfast is varied and I especially enjoyed the pancakes with sweet cream cheese and cranberries.
The hotel has a free guidebook - 'Krakow in your pocket' - which was far more useful than the Lonely Planet guide we had taken with us; the honest restaurant reviews were especially helpful.
Although coffee, tea and biscuits were available in the reception area, a kettle in the room would have been appreciated, and if I am to be very picky, the towels were a little thin.
We spent time pottering about the old town, visiting the jewish area - if you like real hot chocolate, visit the 'Buena Vista' bar in this district as it is wonderful! - and took trips to the Wieliczka salt mine and Auschwitz, which was deeply moving.
We had an excellent meal at Mamma Mia - Karmelicka Street in the old town; I had wild mushroom soup served IN a bowl made of bread, zander (fish) in a delicious sauce and traditional cheesecake. You have to book. For snacks, such as dumplings, or a full 3 course meal, we enjoyed the friendly atmosphere in Gospoda U Zdzicha on the main square; the starters are huge and my bowl of 'bigos' would have easily served as a meal in itself course with bread.
I would recommend finding a bar which specialises in flavoured vodkas served in ice cold shot glasses - the honey one was my favourite!

Pleasant

by TripAdvisor Member Londonlover7977

The hotel is about a 10 minute walk to the old town square which is why I chose this hotel. We had a large room with 2 beds and a sofa bed. There was apple juice waiting for us in our room. Clean and comfortable. Bathroom was a nice size.
Staff was very friendly and helpful and spoke very good English.
We walked from the train station but took a taxi back when we left because it was a little too far and the cobblestone sidewalks do not make it any easier.
We paid 120EUR a night.

Car Museum, Krakow, PLCar Museum, Krakow, PL

Trash in the trashcan!Trash in the trashcan!

Bazylika Bozego Ciala w Krakowie - InteriorBazylika Bozego Ciala w Krakowie - Interior

Gillybob and HansiGillybob and Hansi

Mid April in Krakow.

by Jayarep

Hi!Everbody.
What would the day and night temperatures be around the second week of April.Would we expect rain.Also the weather conditions in Warsaw.
Will welcome all inputs.

Low 37f / 3c
Rain 1.30in / 33.0mm
Cloud cover (out of 8)4.9

by 68maciek

Who knows it?I even can't be sure about nearest weekend.
It will be between such extremum as:
dry and sunshine and wet (or even snow- rarely and for short period)even in one day and between 0C (rather at night) and +20C.
So something in the middle.

I think that this is the honest answer.

by leics

Weather forecast (up to 14 days in advance)for both Krakow & Warsaw on this link:

A very reliable site, I have found.

Krakow climate tables here:

Warsaw here:

It won't be particularly warm and yes, you should definitely pack for possible rain (it poured when I was there in August 2006).

Comments