Hotel Erazm

More about Krakow

SukienniceSukiennice

Square 3D modelSquare 3D model

KFC - KrakówKFC - Krak√≥w

Restauracja Bohema: Forest mushroom soup in breadRestauracja Bohema: Forest mushroom soup in bread

Is cider available

by Rugbymam

My husband is a coeliac & so cannot drink beer. He can drink cider or wine. We are visiting Krakow for 5 days from July 16th. Can anyone please tell me if cider is available in the bars & restaurants in Krakow?

Re: Is cider available

by 68maciek

It used to be hardly few bars with cider.If I remember right there was mainly in 'made in Ireland/Britain' type bars.
I like cider and wine more than beer or vodka (which I drink only due to social reasons) or snobby (here) perfumes like whisky (hahaha).Cider is unfortunately hardly available here.BTW Once I've noticed that British don't respect cider as much as beer and treat it as lower status beverage. Is that marketing?
There are(were) few bars with Hungarian wine- tokaj (famous here) on premise (like Pub Re)and probably many others.

Re: Is cider available

by 68maciek

Cider should be also in 'Nic nowego' bar -sw.Krzyza st.

Travel Tips for Krakow

savor its vibrant Rynek Glowny...

by Pegasus74

savor its vibrant Rynek Glowny - the largest medieval market square in Europe. This beautiful part of the city is dominated by the monumental Cloth Hall fronted by elegant facades, which vaulted ground floor passage houses artisan shops, where you can best look for souvenirs - contemporary paintings, woodcarvings and amber jewelry to name a few. And is where the TIC run by a team of expansive staff is located. In and around the building many locals and tourists searched from one market stall to another; others sat at the pavement cafes or anywhere they could wind themselves down. Classes of kids on vacation filled many parts of the square to have fun in the lively atmosphere. Pigeons flocking towards generous souls filled the rest of it. A quartet dressed in traditional folklore outfit stood close by the Hall playing drums, flute bugle, clarinet, fiddle and double bass; a double trio went from table to table impressing tea time customers. And a rock concert went on beside the arcade - all contribute to the vibrant and contemporary spirit of Krakow. Everyone has got their eyes busy on something, it's just somewhere I knew I'm gonna like it.

BASILICA OF THE HOLY TRINITY

by LoriPori

Located at 12 Stolarska Street, is the 13th century Gothic BASILICA OF THE HOLY TRINITY. The Dominican Basilica was built at the turn of the XIII and XIV century. It suffered a major destrucion in a great fire in 1850 , which also affected a large part of the old city.
A great Neo-Gothic interior makes it one of the most beautiful churches in Krakow.
Of great importance inside the Basilica, is the ornate XVI century Chapel /Mausoleum of St. Jacek.
As you enter the Basilica, on the right side is the XVII century Chapel of Our Lady of the Rosary, with a much loved and well-known image which is attributed with miracles.

PIEROGI

by LoriPori

You just can't visit Poland and not have a PIEROGI. I was sooooo looking forward to tasting some real Polish Pierogis and was not disappointed. At our very first VT get-together at Harris Piano Bar, I had my first feast of Pierogi - 10 all together - with various fillings of mushroom - cabbage - meat.
Pierogi are like dumplings with a filling inside. I like mine fried in butter with onions. At home I buy frozen ones with potato and cheese fillings. In the city I live, on Wednesdays, the local Polish Church sells home-made Pierogi, made by lady volunteers. They are simply divine.
Pictured here is "Pierogi Domowe" a little Pierogi place we passed on the way to the Jewish Quarter.

Krakow Pretzels

by matcrazy1

One of old (as I remember) and unique, real Krakow's tradition is selling local pretzels (called OBWARZANKI KRAKOWSKIE) in such small movable "pretzel stands" as on my picture.

It's a pity that saleswomen are hmm... not always as clean as I wish although they use plastic gloves selling pretzels. believe me, Krakow pretzels taste delicious unless not fresh.

CASTLE MUSEUM IN PSZCYNA

Saturday May 29, 2010
As part of our VT Full Day Tour, we visited the lovely town of Pszcyna. The main focus of our visit was to tour the CASTLE MUSEUM IN PSZCYNA. The Castle is called the Polish Versailles and is no exaggeration, as I have seen Versailles and this castle is very comparable only on a smaller scale.
Your first view is of the Grand Stairs and the magnificent tapestry at the top of the stairs.
The castle contains lordly and lavish living quarters from the 19th and 20th centuries which are richly decorated with furniture, carpets, clocks and paintings.
The most beautiful room has to be Mirror Hall. In this room we were treated to a wonderful concert of three young ladies - the singer, one on the piano and one on the base.
It was known that princes from Pszcyna loved to hunt. The castle was once a center of hunting to which aristocracy from the whole of Europe came. Deer and Bison were hunted. The Castle reflects this, as many rooms and halls display hundreds of hunting trophies.

I am making a separate Pszcyna Page with more detail and information about this lovely town.

Comments