Krakowska 11

Electric tourist car - KrakówElectric tourist car - Kraków

Barbakan Krakowski (Barbican) - KrakówBarbakan Krakowski (Barbican) - Kraków

Tour

by welshlady49

3 of us are visiting Krakow in November and want to do a guided tour to auschwitz, can anybody recommend a good tour company. Thanks

by Durfun

Auschwitz I plays a video as you enter, and it's in English. The site is smaller than Birkenau, so no guide necessary in my opinion.

All the various cabins/shacks have photos, boards, detailed explanations in English too.

For Birkenau (massive site), you could hire a guide from the entrance watch-tower. Again, not really necessary, as unlike the first site, this one is more of a physical experience, i.e. you can understand what was going on just by sight. Walking between exhibits can take a long time, eg reaching the demolished gas-chambers at the rear (ruins remain), burial mounds, etc.

by welshlady49

Thanks for this but we have accommodation sorted.

by welshlady49

Thanks that is really helpful.

by Durfun

Hey, Funny Welsh Lady! You don't have to write "it's helpful", merely click the thumbs-up ;-)

Have a good trip.

by hotpatriot

I recommend you this touroperator: http://www.escape2poland.co.uk/, I was on a trip in Auschwitz with them (http://www.escape2poland.co.uk/auschwitz.html) - reliable company.
Greetings

by von.otter

My recommendation is Andrzej Puchacz at apuchacz@travpol.pl.

We used Travpol in 1998; great service.

by doodybee

I would seriously look at doing this on your own - by train from krakow to osweicien(sp) the nearest town to the camp
we took aguided tour a couple of years ago and it was too rushed for our liking

Hi there,

I just replied on the very same question so I will simply paste the answer here if you do not mind:

There is a small tourist information office at the heart of the main square where you can have your tour to Auswits (as well as to the famous and unique Wieliczka Salt Mine) organized. They will pick you up at the hotel, get you there and back. I do not remebmer how much they charge for the entire trip but it was a reasonable amount of money.
The office is localised in the old Cloth Hall (Sukiennice) which is something of an icon of the city you will stumble across 100%. (Rynek Główny 1/3, Sukiennice). The staff is english speaking and helpful.

greetings
Expat

by expat1980

It appears as though the polish letters in the address were not well-received by the Matrix once again:

Rynek Glówny 1/3, Sukiennice

Rynek Glowny 1/3, Sukiennice

Travel Tips for Krakow

Prices are so cheap

by svoures

Everything is within walking distance, so using transportation is not really needed, unless it's raining heavily. Even then, your best bet is to find a cozy bar and enjoy a few beers, waiting for the rain to stop. I'm not sure if by the time I write this tip Krakow was hit by an inflation crisis, but I could not believe how cheap the place is!!! You can easily drink and eat with less than £10 in most restaurants and I am not talking about cheap/dodgy food, but properly cooked meals. By the second and last day of my visit I was really struggling to spend my currency, so I just decided to buy loads more presents (to the great appreciation of my friends).

VT Webcam + Jumping For Norman Shoot

by Martin_S.

Matt got all the VTers wandering the streets of Krakow during the VT Euromeet 2010 to gather in the central square for a LIVE WEBCAM shoot. My daughter Tal watched us on her computer back home in Israel and then called, she was thrilled.
The photos show:
1) The group photo.
2) What the group photo looks like behind Hansi's video camera.
3) Matt with holding his Polish flag and megaphone.
4) VTers jumping for Jumping Norman.
5) Matt and Chiara trying to answer a simple question from a passing tourist...
WHY IN THE WORLD WERE YOU ALL JUMPING AND WHAT IS VT??
Good luck guys !!! ^O^
As a note, this was I do believe the FIRST time that I, as part of the VT group, became a tourist "attraction". We had literally dozens of tourists passing by and taking OUR PHOTO....

Long-stemmed roses.................

by leics

I don't know if this is a Krakowian custom, or a Polish one, but I did notice how many long-stemmed red roses were being carried by young ladies obviously out on dates with gallant young gentlemen. It's a rather lovely idea actually..........

The poor chap in the picture spent 30 minutes waiting for his date in Rynek Glowny, his rose gradually drooping lower and lower. I did feel sorry for him.........and I didn't see her turn up...........

22nd June - 'Wianki - Floating...

by tojavicky

22nd June - 'Wianki - Floating of the Wreaths'
It's a big cultural event. It takes place every year in June - people gather on riverside near Wawel Hill. Young girls (I mean not only young, just girls) drop wreaths into Vistula River. Then the huge party starts - music, dance, plenty of people, firework - you can see it, just come to Kraków on 22nd June.

Day trips from Krakow

by toonsarah

There are a number of possible excursions that you can take if you fancy a day outside the city, and you’ll see advertisements for tours all round the Old Town. Several were proposed as part of the VT Euromeet and I made the most of these, though in limited time I couldn’t expect to do and see everything. So Auschwitz and Birkenau had to wait for another visit, but I did get to Wieliczka to tour the amazing salt mines, to Pszczyna for its beautiful castle, to Wadowice, birthplace of John Paul II, and to Kalwaria Zebrzydowska. I have created tiny separate pages about the first two of these, and the others are covered in separate tips below.

Comments