Leopolis Hotel

Kosciól Mariacki - St. Mary's ChurchKosciól Mariacki - St. Mary's Church

Obwarzanki vendorObwarzanki vendor

Veterans Football

by MICBCFC

I wonder if anyone could help. We are a group of veteran footballers aged between 40 - 65. Each year we have a tour to a different Euorpean city. We are coming to Krakow June 19th-22nd 2009. If there are any veteran teams out there or if anyone could put us in touch we would like to play a couple of games of football. We have had some great matches and tours so far and i'm sure Krakow will be just as good. We just need a football match!!!

Re: Veterans Football

by 68maciek

There is an oldboy section and leagaue in Krakow soccer organization.
Somebody must speak English there!

mzpn@neostrada.pl
tel. +48 (12) 632 66 00
fax +48 (12) 632 68 00
skype : Mzpn Kraków

The local team from my village at outskirts of Krakow plays in that league (one of the member was a very good player in Polish team in 70/80- ies).I'm not so ivolved in soccer and the club.However if no success with officials and I have a chance to speak with somebody form the club I can say them about it.There is still a bit of time for it.I can't promise anything, as I'm a kind of an outsider- so first contact the officials.
P.S I found on http://www.wegrzcanka.pl/ that you can write directly to j.kot@op.pl (perhaps somebody knows English).On the other hand Polish is widely spoken in U.K nowadays (hahaha).

Travel Tips for Krakow

When I was in Krakow for the...

by ania70pl

Almost every time when I'm in Krakow the weather is very bad. Everything looks grey so my pics aren't too good, they are too dark and they don't encourage to visiting Krakow. But it is a beautiful city. It wasn't destroyed so much during the Second World War so there are many really old buildings which are worth seeing, for example Wawel, or big Market Square with Sukiennice and St.Mary's Church.

Main Market Square - western side

by matcrazy1

Western side of the Main Market Square is the place of many various events like fairs, music concerts etc.

There is the TOWN HALL TOWER in southern part of the square - on left on my picture.

There is magical Palac pod Baranami (PALACE UNDER THE RAMS). Why magical? Welcome to my local customs and nightlife tips.

There is my favourite old Vis-a-vis DRINKBAR in the western wall of the square. Maybe it's not the best but I have great and very funny memories from this place haha.

There is SAD WATER WALL (or maybe I should write pump) in NW part of the square. Why sad? Read in my local customs.

And there are tenths or maybe hundreds cafes, pubs, restaurants underground, on the ground floor and rarely on the first floor.
Why rarely? Hmm... do you like to go up when you are hungry? Better (more healthy) is to go upstairs with full abdomen, I suppose. Am I wrong?
Add police station located in western wall of the square.

So, we have on the West: entertainment and (strong?) authorities - hmm... like in Western Europe? Really?

Vodka anyone?

by Kodi01

Maybe a hour after I landed at a nice cozy and famous Maska restaraunt, we had drinks and dessert.

See the Vodka glass already, I thought is this a start to a wonderful Polish week and local customs. Tak Tak Tak!! :o))

Ok, so it was Coca Cola in a Vodka glass, is that a drink??

Do you think we were drunk when we took this pic sideways?? :o))

Ceilings of old, rich houses

by matcrazy1

Look up at amazing and huge ceiling of Columnar Room of Wierzynek Restaurant.

It's made of numerous, longitudinal, wooden pales. They are manually carved and partly painted. Ceilings of such kind are typical for rich, old family houses in Krakow. Hmm... a lot of work and great effect, I must admit.

The Kosciuszko Mound

by Ben-UK

My photo shows the mound from the entrance, but it's already a good, fairly steep walk through woods to get to this point. If you make it to the top, you'll be rewarded with magnificent views - all the way to the Tatry on a clear day I'm told.

Named after Tadeusz Kosciuszko (1746-1817), this 300-metre high mound stands about 3km west of the city. It was added to the hill on which it stands in the 1820's to remember Poland's great revolutionary hero.
The mound was made up of earth from his battle sites.

You can read lots about Kosciszko elsewhere, but briefly he played a major role for the home side in the American War of Independence against the British - so much so that he was made an honorary American citizen and Brigadier General in the US Army.

In 1784 he returned to Poland and ten years later led the insurrection against the Partitions, gaining famous victories leading an army comprised of mainly scythe-bearing peasants.

He was eventually captured by the Russians, imprisoned then released in 1796. He returned to the USA then France, where his support was sought by Napoleon, but he declined as he couldn't get assurances regarding Poland's future.

He subsequently retired to Switzerland, where he died in 1817 - two years later, his remains were brought home to Poland where they lie in the Wawel.

If you're walking, you can take tram nos: 1, 2 or 6 to the terminus at Salwator. From there, turn right & the second road is ul. Bronislawy - this leads up to the mound.

If you're driving, you can head west along Kosciuszki then turn right at Salwator onto Krolowej Jadwigi - you'll see the mound on your left - it's a good walk up through the woods.

There's a museum and cafe on the site.

Entrance fee: July 2003 was 5zl for an adult.

Comments