Ulica Basztowa 25, Krakow, Southern Poland, 31156, Poland

Booking.com Travelocity Priceline.com

Costs 22% less but rated 13% lower than other 4 star hotels

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Good value hotel near railway station

My girlfriend and I stayed at Hotel Polonia for 2 nights in July 2009 during a weekend break in Krakow.

We reserved the hotel through www.booking.com and paid 219 Zloty (approx. £40) per night for a double room with breakfast.

The prime reasons for us choosing this hotel were two-fold:

i) Location: We knew that we'd be arriving in Krakow in the early hours of the morning (between 2 and 3am) on a bus from Katowice Airport. We therefore wanted a hotel that was within walking distance of the bus station;

ii) 24 hour reception: In light of the above, we obviously required a hotel with a reception desk that would be open to check us in at this early hour.

Location

Hotel Polonia is located on the corner of ul. Basztowa and ul. Pawia, directly opposite the front entrance of Krakow's central railway station.

The bus station is located behind the railway station, so we only had to walk for a couple of minutes when we alighted the WizzAir bus from Katowice Airport.

We made the same short walk in reverse the following morning when we retuned to the bus station to catch one of the frequent minibuses to Auschwitz (Oswiecim). We returned from Auschwitz by train, so again we only had a short walk back to our hotel from the central station.

The Old Town is just a few hundred metres away; it took us less than 10 minutes to walk to the main market square (Rynek Glowny).

There are plenty of restaurants and bars within a few minutes walk of the hotel and the Galeria Krakowska shopping mall is located on the square in front of the hotel, next to the train station.

Bedroom

My first impression of our room was that it was spacious and that the decor was somewhat dated.

The bed was a proper double (not two singles pushed together as we often find these days).

The wooden furnishings in the room included a stand alone wardrobe, a set of drawers and bedside cabinets. There were also a couple of armchairs and a glass-topped coffee table.

The floor was wooden laminate and there was a large Turkish-style rug beneath the window. There was patterned wallpaper on the walls and long dark patterned curtains covering the two large windows. It all felt very 1970s to me; not a complaint by any means, just an observation.

There was a small TV set mounted on a bracket in the corner of the room.

The en-suite shower room was clean, compact and, again, slightly dated. There were few concessions to luxury; simply tiled walls and flooring, a shower cubicle, a toilet and a washbasin.

Breakfast

We grabbed a quick breakfast in the downstairs dining room before heading to Auschwitz for the day.

The selection wasn't particularly extensive, or particularly inspiring, featuring cold cuts of meat, sliced cheese, bread rolls, boiled eggs and various salad items. It served our needs, but it wasn't very memorable.

Good value rooms in the centre of Krakow. Ideally located close to the train and bus stations. Rooms are somewhat dated, but they are clean and comfortable. I'd stay there again if I was ever in Krakow.

• sswagner's Profile Photo

Centrally located

Our choice of hotel was the Polonia, which has an excellent location just outside the old city walls. Within minutes, you can walk to the town square from here. We were able to arrange airport transportation with the hotel and they also helped us with arranging a tour of Jewish World War II sites in Krakow as well as the Auschwitz complex. The hotel also had a very good breakfast and the value was good. For those taking a train into Krakow, the station is a short walk away.

• Jmill42's Profile Photo

Super Location

Arriving to Krakow sick and late at night, I did not want to waste any time finding a lpace to sleep. As I exited the station I looked around and went to the first place I could find. Luckily, it turned out to be a great choice. Located not more than 200 meters from the train station is Hotel Polonia. The person could easily see that i wanted a room immediately, and they seemed to hurry the process for me. I was in my room no more than 5 minutes after I walked in the doors. The room was basic, but nicley done, and really clean. I rememebr thinking that it smelled good for such an old room. So, if you are arriving late, I recommend this place, not only for its super close location to the train station, but because it was an all-around good hotel.

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

a very old building

Hotel Polonia is a 3 star hotel just around the corner from the main station in Krakow. It''s also within the perimeter of the old royal city, next to the Barbican - all the attractions are within walking distance (5 minutes for the Rynek - 20 minutes for Wavel Hill).

Unique Quality: The hotel dates back to the beginning of the century and it''s located in a nice building. Inside one can also find a hairdresser and a beauty parlour. Rooms have satellite TV, which helps when you don''t know Polish. There's a restaurant in there, too - but I never saw anyone eating there

Directions: outside the station. cross the road and turn right. hotel polonia is on the corner

• Maggies's Profile Photo

POLONIA HOTEL

80 $ for a double room

Unique Quality: Located just by the train station, what has its good and bad sides. The bad thing is that it's known as the favourite place of Krakow's 'women' for the night. Some rooms are renovated, the others were not changed since 60. or 70. But still, it's one of the cheapest hotels in the centre of Krakow.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Hotel Polonia.

Room prices vary a lot. Singles can be as much as $65 but my room without private bath in the offseason was under $30, without breakfast.

Unique Quality: Though refurbished, this similar old world hotel has a colder feel than the Europejski and is more expensive unless you can secure one of the rare rooms without bath. Still, great value and indeed fancier.

Comments