Kobierzynska 47, Krakow, Southern Poland, 30-363, Poland
Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Krakow

Matt and Chiara "explaining" VT to a touristMatt and Chiara "explaining" VT to a tourist

Car Museum, Krakow, PLCar Museum, Krakow, PL

Kraków Main Train Station - Kraków GlównyKraków Main Train Station - Kraków Glówny

Jama Michalika SignJama Michalika Sign

Train question

by Vickey69

Hi,
This may sound a bit odd, but does anyone know if the train from Krakow to Auschwitz (Oswiecim) has a toilet facility on board?

by sufr54

There are typically four types of service in Poland. Most have facilities at least on the train in one car or another. The bottom category is called the "Osobowe" and there it is sketchy as it stops everywhere and takes a long time to get over any distance.

Try a travel agent.

by cubsur

I would not bet on it. I have just invested in a copy of the Thomas Cook European railway Timetable. This shows the Krakow to Oswieceim service as 'Regio' trains taking 77 - 90 minutes for the 65km journey, but no additional information.

The main Polish railway website says nothing.

Unfortunately the website of the Polish Regional Railway operation (http://www.przewozyregionalne.pl/) is only in Polish (which I don't read) and without knowing the type of train(s) actually used on the route I can't see how anyone can help unless they have actually done the journey!

I hope someone comes along.

by 68maciek

Oh come on. I don't travel by train so often lately.Hopefully even under harmful latest changes in Polish train system some things remain as they have been for ages. The loo is only not always spotless clean- I'm afraid, but it can be also ok. That is a subject of travelling adventure. I would write (rather as a joke than being offensive) that before we joined EU there wers no toilets in cars, but I didn't want to lie you. Just kidding hahaha.

by 68maciek

But I can imagine that if you see the enormous speed of the train, you can think about many other things. The fast or odinary train speed don't differs much unfortunately on this route. The last improvements of gauges could have been made on this route by Deutsche Bahn for very different purposes in 40-ties.

by casey128

oh come on...you cant be that naive!

by Vickey69

I know some of you think this is a joke, but there are still trains in the UK that run on local service routes that don't have this facility. I may not have mentioned this but I needed to know for medical reasons.
Thanks for the responses

by 68maciek

I'm extremely sorry. I'm sometimes oversensitive. There are always toilets in trains in Poland for my money.

Travel Tips for Krakow

General confusion at the start of a VT meet!!!

by Suet

You can't really pin this down. VTers were all over the place, losing one another, squeaks of joy when we spotted one of the crowd, battling with the word blind language, trying new foods and meeting new people, where are we, who the hell, what are we supposed to be doing, has anyone got a map, where is my hotel, what time are we meeting, do you know what time the train to Lviv is, how do you say thank you in Polish, did you give Mattcrazy a throat lozenge, how do I buy batteries in polish, can you please order me some chicken.... it went on and on.

One thing I did not expect were the mosquitos. Present all over the city and ready to bite you once the sun had gone down. No malaria as far as I know but those itchy lil bastids made their presence felt. If I go back, I will bring DEET insect repellent. I had never wanted to visit Poland. For me, Poland meant Polar, so cold that my joints would freeze over. I would be word blind, no real recognision or pronunciation of words. I was pleasantly surprised. The Poles have a deep and genuine affection for Brits. Something, I believe, that was due to our Tommies rushing in to defend them in World War II. I certainly found that Polish people really liked me when I said I was English.

This is a really *young* town in that the general population are young people and students. The girls are astoundingly attractive and the young men pleasant and polite to old ladies like me. If I ever got into difficulties with language or direction, they were quick to rush to my help.

I found Polish people to be amazing workers. If they had a job to do, they got stuck in and did it, no matter how heavy or difficult it was. Would that our people in Scotland did the same instead of asking for handouts. I deeply admire the Poles.

On our travels by car around the country I was amazed and gratified at the big and elegant houses that people lived in. Some parts are rural in that they have horses and work the land, but for the most part the houses seemed to be impressive and beautiful and I saw no great poverty.

sit lazily in one of the many...

by miromi

sit lazily in one of the many charming cafes in the old town (staroe Mesto) and drink coffee. Sometimes these restaurants can be a bit contrived, as you run into yet another place playing scratchy old records and done up in 1920s decor for the tourists, but that is OK, sometimes it's ok to be a tourist. people watching in the main town square and chasing pigeons; dancing at a punk rock show and talking in body language and broken English, my bad Russian and some Polish to the hardcore band members offering to protect me from the fascist as they fed cheap wine they had snuck into the bar; rocking out to drum and bass at the club Strefka, where a tattooed, shaved headed Polish boy almost carried me away before he passed out in front of a speaker! ; being blown away by the incredible interiors of the multicolored Catholic churches; pondering life and resting at Hawel castle

Town Hall Tower

by Ash59

the Town Hall Tower dominates this area of the square; its basement contains a very well preserved medieval torture chamber, a theatre and a cafe. It really doesn't look big enough for all this, does it?

For a nibble on the hoof - Obwarzanek

by johngayton

You'll see dozens of these vendors around the city, usually babushkas, selling bread rings from a cart or even from a basket. This is the local's snack of choice and so if you fancy a nibble on the hoof, do indulge. These come flavoured with either salt, sesame or poppy seeds and usually cost about 1 Zloty.

To give you an idea of their popularity - if you wander round first thing in the morning you'll see that some of the carts are stacked with literally hundreds of them!

Maps

by matcrazy1

Don't forget good maps of Cracow (Krakow). For drivers: with restricted parking/driving A, B, C zones; parking lots and one-way streets marked.
If you forget them no worry: there are tenths various maps sold in many points in Krakow.
Get a map of environs as well if you are going to visit them.

Comments