Zamek Korzkiew

Booking.com Priceline.com

More about Krakow

Churches, Krakow, PLChurches, Krakow, PL

pl. Wszystkich Swiêtych - Krakówpl. Wszystkich Swiêtych - Kraków

Koxciól sw. Franciszka z Asyzu - Kraków - AltarKoxciól sw. Franciszka z Asyzu - Kraków - Altar

RESTAURACJA KAWALERIA -Main CourseRESTAURACJA KAWALERIA -Main Course

alan

by alanwilsea

Hi
I will be in krakow for 3 days in july and need some information.
ther is a river raft trip close to krakow any details please cost distance etc
Many Thanks
Alan

by 68maciek

Raba by kayak (~~2 hours) from Gdow (return by bike~~1 hour) costs 40 PLN.
Dunajec -check Retendo page (also in English).
Nida by kayak on weekends (30km) www.kajakiem.pl (120PLN).

by betako3

Hi Alan,
I think what you mean is rafting on the Dunajec river, but it's not exactly close to Kraków, rafting starts in the village called Sromowce in Pieninski Park Narodowy, which is 115km from Krakow. But if you have time it's well worth to see the place, not only for rafting but for beautiful scenery and moderate hiking. Here's a useful link to the official site of the rafting organisation (available in English) http://www.flisacy.com.pl/
It provides the address, info about the route, prices for 2008 etc.
Have fun.

by 68maciek

I've got a link for you.

Travel Tips for Krakow

Wander the old town streets,...

by richiecdisc

Wander the old town streets, day and night, to soak up old world charm and offbeat nightlife. Stepping onto the Cracovia, I was a bit out of breath and weary from a long day. I had just made it and the train would soon pull out of Keleti Station in Budapest and make its overnight journey to Krakow. I had been at the station early that morning, to drop off my backpack, to leave myself unencumbered for one last day of taking photos. With a book of Metro tickets, I whisked around the city to spots I had eyed up during my time there, hoping to capture the city on film as it had captured my imagination during my stay. I also had the fun task of trying to spend the rest of my forint as I had been left with an abundance of the Hungarian currency. This was becoming unusually common for me on my travels around Eastern Europe as I overestimated repeatedly how much I would need. The weather was less than ideal so try as I may, photos became secondary to enjoying some last tastes of the local cuisine and trying to find a good pint of beer. As the day passed I found myself much shorter on time than funds and against my better judgment made my way to a brewpub just slightly out of the way. The beer was surprising good and the food great and ample. I was stuffed as I made my way to the metro and with little time to spare, bypassed a stop in the city center to pick up some local pastries that I wanted to bring on the train. Arriving at the station with just a bit of time to spare, I tried to change the remaining forint to zloty to no avail. No one had enough to make the transaction and all the shops were closing so I couldn’t even buy a bottle of wine for the trip. I was surprised that not one shop owner wanted to make a last minute transaction and in my haste to spend the money, nearly forgot I still had to pick up my backpack. I finally aborted my vain attempts, picked up my bag, and ran over to my platform, unfortunately all the way on the other side of the station. I handed my ticket to the conductor who led me to the sleeping car into which I stepped apprehensively. I had read of the thefts on this run and was not looking forward to having to watch my bag all night. My feelings were allayed when I opened my compartment door and saw two smiling faces, one of which that was obviously North American. We exchanged greetings and soon I was in the corridor chatting with my comrade. It had been over a month since I had spoken with someone from my part of the world and our rapport was immediate. It turned out he was Canadian and I had had great friends from there in my past. He said he was up for some beers and I explained that all I had were forint. He said that it was a Polish train and most likely all they would take would be zloty but tried just the same. Returning with no beer, he suggested he had three bottles of Hungarian wine that he was bringing to a friend in Warsaw but that he would never miss one bottle. It was a nice dry white and our talk and thirst only made it go that much more quickly. He said, “what the hell,” and returned with a medium red that was formidable but not enough to slow us down. Everyone else had gone to sleep and our loud talking and laughter was greeted with cries to pipe down from our neighbors. He was a seasoned traveler, working abroad for over ten years, and could not understand the subdued nature on the train. I for one agreed that having fun and mingling on the overnight trains was too much of an experience to pass up for mere sleep. After very slight deliberation, he produced the final bottle, a very dry and robust red, and this finally slowed our pace but not our laughter and finally a young Irish girl came out of her compartment to chide us for our inconsideration. We nodded politely but laughed like schoolboys after she left and scoffed at how anyone that young could be so pedantic. The wine was done and any sane person would go to bed, it was after two am and the train would arrive in five hours but my cohort suggested we try again for some beer. I handed him my forint, what would amount to $20 and said it was all his regardless of the outcome of his quest. He spoke Polish and returned moments later with a six-pack and said that he had been overcharged but who were we to argue at that hour. We managed one beer in the corridor before our Irish lass came out to finally shame us into seeking refuge in the area between train cars. It was noisy but so were we as we polished off all the beer in what seemed like no time. It was after three and though my newfound buddy said he was ready for an all-nighter and would get some more, I finally said it was time to get a couple hours sleep. A few hours later, we were up with the sun, back out in the corridor, waiting for the train to pull into Krakow. We both felt fine and enjoyed talking about a great, crazy night on the train. Out popped our Irish friend again and gave us a final lashing, saying that Americans are always the loudest and rudest people she met. Finally, my Canadian friend told to just get out of bed, the train would be pulling into Krakow any minute, that she’d missed the whole train ride, and had probably slept through her whole trip. I had to laugh, not so much about what he said, though it was probably true, but at the fact that she had said Americans were always the loudest. Everyone all over the world loves Canadians, they can do no wrong, but in my experience, they are just like Americans, perhaps a tad loud and robust. Indeed, they are North Americans, and I was damn happy to meet one on the Cracovia that night.

Sticking out his tongue at you ;-)

by gosiaPL

This is just one of the beautiful architectural details and there are more! Be sure to climb the stairs to the old galleries to find some more surpises :-)

Actually keep your eyes open for them all over Krakow... Sometimes it takes walking and staring upwards! [Ooops, mind your step ;-)]

Such small details always make me think of how poor modern day architecture is. I guess there's nothing bad in "modern", I just wish there were more varied ideas in it :-)

See also my Must-See tips about the university.

The Hejnal Bugle Call

by mikelisaanna

Every hour in central Krakow, you will hear a bugle call, also call ed the "hejnal". What is unusual about the bugle call is that it is always interrupted midway, ending abruptly in silence. The reason for this is that the hejnal commemorates the bugler who was fatally wounded (with an arrow) in the 1200s while blowing a bugle call from the tower of St. Mary's church to warn the citizens of Krakow about an approaching army of Mongol invaders.

For men or women?

by matcrazy1

This restroom/toilet/WC on my picture is surely for men. But you should know it before you enter. Hmm... not so easy unless there is a symbolic picture (pissing boy or a lady usually) on doors. But often there isn't.

Pay attention how do we often sign restrooms/bathrooms/toilets/WC for men and women in Poland:
- a triangle on a door means for men
- a cirle on a door means for women
Try to guess why? :-)))

Tour of Nowa Huta with Crazy Guides

by Dabs

Visiting a Soviet funded socialist realist suburb probably isn't at the top of the average Krakow visitor list but my husband was sold by the idea of traveling by Trabant, a teeny tiny car popular in communist times. We were picked up at our hotel and I was the lucky one who got to stuff myself in what appeared to be a backseat for the ride to Nowa Huta, about 15-20 minutes by car from the old town in Krakow.

Our 1st stop was the town square to show us what the original scope was for Nowa Huta and what would have been there had they continued. They started work in 1947, just after WWII, but never fully realized their grand plan. You can see a photo of the giant statue of Lenin that once stood in the central square, a 1979 bombing attempt only dented his foot, but he was successfully removed in 1989 and sold to a Swede and now lives somewhere outside of Stockholm.

Then it was back into the sardine can for a tour of some of the more significant spots-the lake that never was, Arka Pana, the church built in the shape of an ark; and the steelworks that gives Nowa Huta it's name, for a time it was named after Lenin and employed 38,000 workers but is now owned by Arcor Mittal and employs a mere 5,000.

While not impossible to tour Nowa Huta on your own, you'd still probably want to use some form of public transport to get around or do as we did and go on a guided tour. Our guide was very young and not terribly crazy and they had prerecorded information that he stopped and started as we passed by the important sights in Nowa Huta. We did the basic tour but didn't stop at a communist style restaurant as listed in the brochure. We booked the tour from our hotel the day before we went.

Comments