Apartamenty Jan

Apartamenty Jan & Willa Jan
Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

More about Zakopane

DELICIOUSDELICIOUS

View from the summitView from the summit

szymoszkowa slopeszymoszkowa slope

Ski jump, night eventSki jump, night event

Is one day enough

by sillaz

i am planning to go to Krakow for 4 night, i was wondering if it is worth going to Zakopane for a day, maybe sleeping one night and then return to Krakow. how long is it to travel there
thanks

by GloriaAndrus

To travel from Krakow to Zakopane by bus will take you up appr. 2 hours. Is it enough one day depends from what you want to see. If just to walk in the city and go to Gubaluvka by cable car - it's enough. If you want to see Tatra mountains closer - it's definitely not enough. I travelled there three times, started from seven days, incresing staying from year to year, but all the time it's not enough for me.

by sihi

Hi!

It is worth to go to Zakopane for one day. Good to walk in the town and on nearby mountains.
Try cheese Oscypek:)

by 68maciek

Many people like Zakopane (not me).I like Tatry Mts. and some villages nearby, where you can find still some wooden houses (a rare thing in Zakopane).
Zakopane (not big but also not small) is a place where some Poles go to show off in the main street (funny), but hopefully majority treat it as a starting point for Tatry hiking.
It's crowded in summer and weekends.

by Jawnuta

Definitly go to Zakopane and stay for the night, so you can have your supper (late at night) in a Zakopane's restaurant with local, live folk music (something out of this world!!!)
It will take you few hours to get there. The fastest is bus from Krakow coach bus station (ask in tourist office), there are also mini-buses more expensive, and a train, takes about 1 hour longer, but I get sea sickness on the bus ;-(
There is plenty of tourist information all over Krakow and in Zakopane you don't need reservation, there is plenty of private rooms to rent.

Travel Tips for Zakopane

Strange things they sell everywhere

by aroundtheglobe

Right after arriving in Zakopane, you will notice that old people sell strange little "things". These things look very nice, to me they appeared like big sweets or candies. It seems like their shape has been carved. I once bought such thing and started eating it, while I thought it would be something sweet, filled with cream or jam. Surprisingly it was salty. The first bite was horrible, because I expected something totally different. Since I knew that the strange "thing" is smoked cheese, I started liking it: I can definitely recommend this Zakopane-cheese!

Second generation of Sculptors

by Pawtuxet

Marcin Rzasa continues the tradition of wood carving which was a lifestyle he knew all his life, having a father who was dedicated to his work. I find Marcin's art very different from his father's, which is more somber, religious, with deep meaning. Marcin's work has sensitivity and a bit of humor. After seeing him around his son and daughter, I could understand that he would create and enjoy children in wood as much as in life. When you don't understand a language, you tend to watch peoples' actions and facial expressions ... and I noticed there was a special bond between Marcin and his son...perhaps the boy will follow to become the next generation of artist and wood carver.
We had a lovely visit... stayed for tea... and I was so glad I had perservered until I met this creative man and sweet family.

Morski Oko

by PaulKirk

Morskie Oko is a lake in the Tatra National Park and a popular destination. It's about 5-6 miles from Zakopane and a bus or taxi will get you up the hills to the entrance to the National Park. From there you walk for about 3 hours to the lake. Alternatively you can get a ride in a horse and waggon. They may have tyred wheels but there is no suspension so it's a bumpy ride. We walked up and rode back. When we visited the car park was virtually full and there were hundreds of people heading for the lake. The path is wide and easy going and later on there are rocky paths that provide short cuts off the track the horse drawn waggons take. The track winds through the woods but there are many fine views of the Tatras. Disappointingly there are no bars or refreshment stops until you get about 30 minutes from the lake so take some supplies with you. There is a trackside bar/cafeteria just beyond the waggon halt and only one hut at the lake itself. It was crowded to say the least. The lake itself was smaller than we had imagined but is very picturesque sitting in a bowl surrounded by mountains. There was still some snow there in July. When we got back to the entrance to the park we thought it would be diffcult to get a space on the bus back into town. We were lucky and there was plenty of room but with all the crowds I imagine it could be difficult at some times. It's a good walk and I think what will surprise people are the crowds of people all heading for the same spot.

Morskie Oko

by queenminka

The Morskie Oko (eye of the sea) is a beautiful, nearly circle-round lake at a high of 1406m, surrounded by spectacular snow-covered mountains. A breathtaking view! There are different routes to go there, varying in difficulty and duration. It is also possible to take the bus from Zakopane to the entrance of the national park. From there you can walk through a beautiful valley with great views to the lake or, if you are lazy for that day, take a cab. As you can see in the picture, the lake was frozen when we went there. We were very happy that there is a cabin where we could warm up with a good soup.

Tatra mountains

by vesna04

Actually, only one 1/5 belongs to Poland the rest is in what at the time was CzechoSlovakia- today Slovakia. The highest peak is in Slovakia and it is about 2500m above the sea level. The highest spot at polish side of Tatra mountain is about 2000m . The winter scenes on the mountain were fabulous, the sun was adding to the beauty.

I was very lucky as it was a lots of snow and sun at the time of my visits.

Comments