Hotel Kasprowy Wierch

ul. Krupowski 50 b, Zakopane, 34500, Poland

More about Zakopane

The TatryThe Tatry

THE TOP OF THE MOUNTAINTHE TOP OF THE MOUNTAIN

Our train going 5 km/h ;-)  "Are we there yet???"Our train going 5 km/h ;-) "Are we there yet???"

....and higher.......and higher...

Zakopane in mid-May?

by travelfrosch

I know Zakopane is primarily a ski/hiking town, but do you think it might be worth it to spend a few days here, or making a day-trip of it from Krakow, in mid-May? Any insights appreciated. Thanks!

Mark

by deniz666uk

personally i didnt think much of zakopane we drove there from krakow parked up and tried looking for somewhere to stay this was in august couldnt find nothing the place was over crowded we eventually went back to another place that we originally stayed in called bukowina which i thought was a lot nicer its a small place but not crowded and not far from zakopane we had a large double room for £9

by mikelisaanna

We spent a day there in September and enjoyed it. The town itself is your typical touristy ski resort town with a lot of bars and restaurants. The key is to get away from the town and up into the mountains, which are definitely worth seeing. There is a gondola car about 2km from town that takes you up to one of the mountaintops, where you get a great view of the Tatra mountains and do some hiking. See our Zakopane page for details.

by evaanna

I think it would be better to spend more than one day there and go hiking in some of the beautiful mountain valleys around the place and also take a trip e.g. to Lake Morskie Oko or the cable car to Kasprowy Wierch.
But in mid-May there may (or may not) be the remains of snow in the mountains or the trails may be muddy. But even then you can go to the lake as there is asphalt all the way there. And there is always something to do in the town itself. Some of the attractions in the area are described on my Bukowina Tatrzanska page. Unfortunately, I don't have a Zakopane page but you'll find a few on VT. Have a great time, it's a very nice place and in May it won't be that crowded.

by sihi

Hi!
I think it is better to spend more time in Zakopane. But visit also Krakow for sure.

by casey128

by all means go to zakopane...its wonderful....and just not for the scenery....go for the highland culture....at night around 5 30 in the warm months the main street and restaurants come alive with the live music of the highlanders....listen while you eat...its unforgettable...make sure you stay over night......take the fernicular up to gubalowka and have lunch overlooking the valley and high tatras..there are alot of holidays in may and it will be packed.....especially if the weather is nice...so book ahead...dont miss zakopane

by evaanna

The holidays are in the first week of May and then from the 22nd. Mid-May should be fine for a visit, although there may be some school trips.

by Jawnuta

YES, YES, YES.
YOU will LOVE it.
Zakopane is always fantastic.

Take a tram on the top of Gubalowka and you will know what I mean.

see my tips

by 68maciek

There are two sides.
Some people say: Zakopane is too crowded,also Krupowki walking is a kind of expression for Polish snobs activity there (perhaps forigners don't see it), is 'made' for tourist .
The others say: Zakopane is fantastic, vibrant and full of fun, and folklore.What is the truth? I don't know.
No doubt it's close to Tatry- for me this is a main feature of this place.
You can also go there for one day by bus/car(as some Krakow inhabitants do)

Travel Tips for Zakopane

When to go there

by queenminka

Plan the time you will be there! This was, I must confess, a fault of my sisters and me: We went there on Eastern, and unluckily it snowed still late the year. So we just caught the ?between-period?: too less snow for good skiing (hate those snow cannons), but still too much snow for high mountain hiking.
BUT nevertheless you have this great landscape to enjoy!!!

Mountain Biking

by Maggies

Biking can sometimes be easier and faster way of vising some beautiful parts of Zakopane and Tatra Mountains. Some of the most beautiful paths go from Zakopane to Morskie Oko and to Chocholowska or Koscieliska Valley. Keep in mind that you're not allowed to bike in the valley as it's the area of National Park. There are some bike paths in the Park too, you should check them when you're on the place. You can rent a bike in a sports store in the upper part of Krupowki Street and few other places in Zakopane.

Rustic atmosphere

by acemj about Karczma Zapiecek

When I first walked into this place and noticed the three man folk group performing in the corner, it struck me as a bit touristy. It goes a little over the top with the folky themes as you can see from the picture, but everyone in here was speaking Polish and the food was great, so I wouldn't hesitate in recommending the place. To start out, I had a cup of Borscht, which I think was actually my first taste of the famous beetroot soup in Poland. It was delicious and perfect for the chilly evening. For only 4 zl, it was also a good bargain. After the Borscht, I had a decent pork steak and a beer and the whole thing was under 30 zl.

Museum of Tatras

by Raimix

Museum of Tatras exist at the main street - Krupowki. This museum represents most things about Tatra mountains - formation of these mountains, the nature and wild animals of mountains, some findings from ancient people camps. Mostly I loved plan of Polish Tatra mountains with all objects shown - like the top hills or small mountain-lakes.

I got to go here for free - probably there is some days people are allowed to go for free. Actually it was ... Sunday, June 25.

Small independant entrepeneurs

by Pawtuxet

There are hundreds of these small retail stores scattered all throughout Zakopane. Many of them sell duplications of one another... no doubt machine made products which are not truly local crafts. You can find wooden, leather, and a variety of other soulvenir products here. The items are not expensive and would no doubt amuse most who wander through in search of a bit of simple memorabelia.
Keep an eye open for buildings with shops which might sell more expensive items... clothing, gear, art and foods. You can find many things to keep the shop-a-holic happy during your visit to Zakopane. Gosia and I found a very good coffee cafe to linger a while...as we always do. It's fun to watch the crowds go by... even when you aren't buying along the street.

Comments