Willa Nalecz

snowcondition

by skyer

hello,

I want to go skying next week (22 january) in Zakopane,
can anyone tell how the snowcondition is (wiil be).

Thanks!

by TallTravel

Have not been yet, but a couple just returned last week to Krakow. I spoke with them, asking about snow levels, and they reported snow only at 1500 meter level, no lower. Sad winter so far, from their report, for us snow folk. This couple comes to Zacopane every year.

by 68maciek

There are only few reasons visiting Zakopane (not my favourite place itself, but with beautyfull surrondings indeed): main in winter is Kasprowy skiing (only Gasienicowa route is opened at the moment with only up to 40 cm of snow).Otherwise there are much better places for skiing in Poland (and definitely in Slovakia).I think that also Szymoszkowa is opened (probably artifficial snow is made everywhere due to the right temeperature here at the moment).But Szymoszkowa shouldn't be a reason of traveling there should it?
BTW: due to school holidays season not only you consider heading to Kasprowy/Zakopane at the moment- which means crowd and queues probability (generally avoid weekends).

by YaronSvoray

Travel Tips for Zakopane

Respect and enjoy

by Maggies

Some locals are trying to earn extra money by entertaining tourists. This one is playing violin on Krupowki Street and very often you really should listen to them as it's the real folk music. Well, as real as it can be.

Very special treasure

by Pawtuxet

Not only is Antoni's work not for sale, but son, Marcin is also reluctant to part with some of his work. As we reviewed his studio and all the wood sculptures scattered throughout... I went straight to my favorite. . . an angel seated on a chair. Well, that is not for sale. Next I chose a figure...and again, that is a favorite and not for sale. And so it went until I finally pleaded for him to duplicate one of my favorites. He was reluctant to do the same thing twice, warning that no two can ever be exactly the same. I mentioned that I liked the way some of his figures were what we call "pigeon toed" (an expression which they had never heard). The toes turn in toward one another. It was agreed he would try to do one before I left Poland and have me approve it by email... then sending it with the bus driver down the mountain to Krakow. Well, that's how things are done around Zakopane.
A few days later we got the call and email and as luck would have it Magda had to make a trip to Krakow, so we met for another lingering visit over coffee and I received my treasured sculpture created by the man with my gr.father's name... a true Polish naive wood sculpture. I will treasure it always.
When it was time to leave the gallery, Marcin walked us out to our taxi and waved a last good-bye. Charming people. Wonderful visit. Very, very special for me.

Superb views of the Tatras

by stakhanov

For superb views of the Tatras check out the ski lift from Kuznice near Zakopane to Kasprowy Wierch. This will take you 1982 metres above sea level for fantastic views. However, you should get up early as people have faced queues for up to 5 hours! It may be worth going early on a Sunday when most Poles are at Mass
Alternatively, you can get advanced tickets from the Orbis Travel Agent in Krupowki street.

Gubalowka

by ZiOOlek

Gubalowka (1123 m. above sea level) is the most popular part of the Gubalowskie Range. The ridges that form it are of even height, however the highest part which insignificantly towers over the surrounding is Butorowy Wierch (1160 m. above sea level).

While being in Zakopane you should take a ride on a cable and ground railway on Gubalowka, from where you can admire the panorama of the Tatra Mountains and clearly visible, situated at the bottom Zakopane. There may be a queue downstairs during winter holidays in Poland (January/Fenruary) and during Christmas.

"Famous" is a relative term

by acemj

At Villa Atma, you'll get to see all kinds of personal effects of Karol Szymanowski. "Who's Karol Szymanowski?" you ask. Well, apparently he was one of the greatest Polish composers of all-time and he lived in this house (which is oh-so typically Zakopane-style) during the 1930s. His compositions were often inspired by highland motifs.

Even if you're not familiar with Szymanowski (I had never heard of him until I visited), the museum is interesting for the building's architecture and for 5 zl, it's worth a quick look.

Comments