Abracadabra B & B

ul. C. Godebskiego 4A, Warsaw, 02-912, Poland
Abracadabra B & B
Priceline.com eDreams Booking.com

More about Warsaw

Lazienki Palace viewed from Theatre on the WaterLazienki Palace viewed from Theatre on the Water

Validation boxValidation box

Building at Warsaw U.Building at Warsaw U.

Sign of a bookshopSign of a bookshop

4 days in Warsaw - highlights?

by Fourka

Me and a friend are going to Warsaw next week for four days to attend the Beethoven's festival at the Royal Castle. We will be staying at a youth hostel in the Old Town.

I would be greatful if you could help me with the highlights of Warsaw? What places/monuments should we absolutely not miss? What are the traditional dishes of Poland? Any drinks?

Since we will be staying at the Old Town we will surely go around there, but what other areas are worth seeing? When it comes to the restaurants, are there any specific areas that we should try?

How about bars and nightlife? We are not into heavy clubbing, but nice cosy, maybe jazz or even disco bars would be nice to know of. Also are there any bars to avoid, we're gonna be two girls at late 20s..

Thanks in advance!

by embi40

Don't miss the Royal Park at Lazienki
The Royal Route
The Royal Palace
The Barbican
The Palace at Wilanow

Our fav restaurant when we were there was Pod Samsonem not too far from the Barbican. Great roast duck and red borscht soup with dumplings. Yummmm. And don't forget to drink some vodka!

by evaanna

You should definitely see the Lazienki Palace and Park with Chopin's monument. Walk along Aleje Ujazdowskie - the street of embassies and former well-appointed residences of Polish aristocracy. Wilanow is also worth seeing. I think the Palace may now be open and you can have a look at the park, although there are archaeological excavations going on there so you won't see it at its best. Also the spring is not here yet so it may be a little gray. You could go to the opera (Teatr Wielki) and see Plac Teatralny (Theatre Square) not far from the Old Town and walk along Miodowa St and Krakowskie Przedmiescie, with their aristocratic residences and the university. If you are interested in the history of Poland, you should visit the Museum of the Warsaw Uprising and see the area of the former Ghetto with its monuments. For more details, please read my Warsaw page. Of course, the restaurants in the Old Town are worth trying, but they are quite expensive, though perhaps not if you compare their prices with those in Sweden. I suggest that you read the restaurant tips on VT to find out which are best. Polish national dishes: pierogi - dumplings with all kinds of stuffing (I love those with strawberries), bigos - fresh and sour cabbage cooked with meat and sometimes also wine, barszcz - beetroot soup - with croquettes with meat filling, placki kartoflane - potato cakes with mushroom sauce (just super), and for dessert - szarlotka - apple pie, sernik - cheesecake, makowiec - poppyseed cake. For more details, see my and other VT-ers' pages and if you have any specific questions, just let us know.

by 68maciek

Mind you also some interesting museums.
Check a good article in Wikipedia about Polish cuisine in English.
Some tourists visit the manor in Zelazowa Wola where Fryderyk Chopin was born.It's ~~50 km from Warszawa but the transport there might be a problem.

by sihi

Hi!

Visit also downtown, see huge skyscraper Palace of Culture and Science.
Park Saski.
You can do daytrip to old city of Lublin, Plock.

Polish food is very good. Try Polish soups. Traditional Polish alcohol drink - Mead (miod pitny). Polish beer is also very good.

by 68maciek

What will the neigbours (guess which one) say about polski miod pitny?

Travel Tips for Warsaw

Nie Mowie Dobre po Polsku

by stakhanov

Although most younger Poles speak English, there are many Poles, especially among the older generation who don't or don't want to. Even the majority of the police do not speak it.
There is no doubt that Polish is a difficult language to learn. However, it is worth learning a few basic greetings and mannerisms to get by. The Poles also appreciate it when foreigners try the language.
Dzien Dobry (jeen dobree) - Good Day
Czy Pan (i) Mowi Po Anglielsku? - Speak English? The fondest memoryt of Warsaw was walking through the old town on a crisp, October day. As the buildings are relatively new, the place never fails to capture one's imagination.

Monuments and Memorials

by HORSCHECK

Warsaw is packed with monuments, memorials and commemorative plaques relating to World War II. The most famous ones are the Warsaw Uprising Monument and the Umschlagplatz Monument, but there are many lesser known places all around the town. Just keep your eyes open when wandering around the city.

Warsaw Uprise Monument

by Cool-123

In the Krasinski's square, you will the Monument of Warsaw Uprising. This huge monument was built in 45 anniversary of Warsaw Uprising. It was to commemorate the heroic riot against Nazi's occupation. That bloody uprising broke out on 1st August 1944 and lasted 63 days. Since the enemy was much stronger the fight was not equal, consequently 200,000 Polish people died in the battle-field.

Marcin, Ali, Krzysztof, Marzena and others

by matcrazy1

When I came to Warsaw for the meeting I had already known 5 other VT-ers (including my wife :-) and shortly I met a few more VT-faces in Okidoki hostel. Lucky me, many of the meeting's participants had never met anyone in person before coming to Piwna Kompania restaurant.

1. I remembered Marcin (Marcin75) from his VT-pages on the Balkan countries, especially on Bosnia and Herzegovina. And I was asked to pass him greetings from Janet (Pawtuxet) from Rhode Island, USA. We both met her seperately during her visit to Poland in 2004. I was very lucky to meet you Marcin in person and to have a short but very interesting conversation with you, not only on travels. Where next?

2. Well, sorry folks if I did wrong. In the middle of our meeting I decided (or maybe forced?) half of participants to change seats. I wanted we to mix up and not to be forced to talk to the same people all the time.

3. I already met Ali (sachara) during the first official European meeting in Italy in 2005. We both, Urszula and I, liked a lot Ali and Co (co48) and wanted very much they both come to Warsaw. Unfortunatelly Co couldn't come but we were very happy to see Ali again. Thanks a million for coming, giving us a lot of fan and welcome back to Poland with Co :-)

4. Krzysztof, a friend of Tom (koala_bearPL) was the first time among VT-ers. I wonder whether he liked it. Thanks for coming and for great conversation on football.

5. Wow, it was great to meet you Marzena (kikalena) both in Kompania Piwna restaurant and during the sightseeing the next day. Haha, we only exchanged a few sympathetic e-mails on the days before the meeting and despite many difficulties, I guess, you decided to come for the meeting from quite far Gdansk and what's even more important to meet us again the next day. Thus we could talk more and get to know each other better. We have to meet again, no doubts. You are always welcome to Tychy :-).

Keep off the grass

by evaanna

Some Western travellers might assume that what is permitted in their own country applies to Poland as well. In London you can see people having a picnic in the park or just lying down on the lawn. If you do that in a park or on any lawn in Warsaw, you will meet with raised eyebrows or even, if the City Guards see you, have to pay a fine. Luckily, they did not see my friends from New Zealand who had sat down on the grass to have their packed lunch somewhere near the Old Town. It is true that most of our lawns are not as beautifully tended as those in Britain but it is also true that the grass does not grow so well on our sandy and often arid soil.

Comments