Kyriad Prestige

Booking.com Travelocity Priceline.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Warsaw

Mosque in WarsawMosque in Warsaw

Indonesian sculpture in greenhouseIndonesian sculpture in greenhouse

Iskender kebabIskender kebab

It dwarfs everything around itIt dwarfs everything around it

6 hours in Warsauw / Dec. 28

Hi all,
I will have a layover in Warsaw on Dec.28 from 4 PM to 10 PM and would like to make a quick visit of the city (I've never been before).
So, if you have an idea.... let me know.

by yvr

There is a direct city bus that will take you into the city center. It takes about 30 minutes if I remember correctly. Be sure and punch your ticket once on the bus as there are many bus inspectors on this route, and be very aware of pick pockets on the bus.

Thank you for answer.
I can take a taxi but may you tell me some nice places to visit?

by Dabs

Most places will be closed or closing by 4pm but you can still have a walk around the Old Town or New Town and then find a nice place to have dinner. I'm not sure how cold it gets in Warsaw as I've only been in the summer but that might be a consideration as to how much time you want to spend outdoors. It also might be getting dark at 4-4:30pm

We really liked Zapiecek, there are at least a couple of locations in Warsaw and it's good hearty Polish food.

In Your Pocket is a good free guide, you can download here and maybe find some other things that might interest you

by sphynxxs

I would recommend you to deposit your baggage and take the bus into the city center, the bus will take the route towards Nowy Swiat, which is leading to the castle and the old town. at end December, it will be dark by the time you land in Warsaw, but the christmas illumination on nowy Swiat will make it less glum. there are lots of cafes and restaurants both on Nowy Swiat and in the old town/market square where you can warm up when it gets too chilly (Polish winters can be really cold) If you want to hang out at a less chilly place, there is also a big shopping mall (Zloty tarasy) right behind the railway station

by sihi

Hi!

Do downtown (skyscrapers, modern city) and walk to old town through street Nowy Swiat.
Try Polish soups and pierogi:)

by zstrucki

Take the bus 175 from the aiport to the "Uniwersytet" stop, from there you can walk the Krakowskie Przedmieście street to the Old Town, or take another bus which will take you to "Pl. Zamkowy" (Castle Square) stop. In the Old Town see the Market Square, St. John's Cathedral and the Royal Castle. In Krakowskie Przedmieście such places as the Presidential Palace. Then you can take the bus 175 back to the airport. Remember about the facts already mentioned: it will be dark after 4 pm. (but streets are illuminated) and could be quite cold.

Travel Tips for Warsaw

a wonderful week

by uglyscot

It had never crossed my mind to visit Poland, even after meeting Ewa, and teaching children who had Polish fathers in Scotland and Sudan. I'd never felt the inclination to visit Eastern Europe at all, but Fate decreed otherwise. My husband had to go to the FiCEE exhibition as he was the only person with a valid Shengan visa, and I was to help him. He talked of hiring someone to help out, and as I knew Ewa had recently retired , suggested her. He jumped at the chance, and so , although my sight-seeing chances were reduced, I was able to renew my friendship with Ewa whom I 'd met two years previously when she visited Britain.

She advised us that with so little time for sightseeing we had to go the Old and New towns. We took her advice and really enjoyed the chance to stroll around this beautiful area.
Then she suggested we spend a few hours at Lazienki Park before she and her husband could come to take us to Wilanow. This we did.
I have since read on the Travel forum messages from people asking if it is safe to visit Warsaw, and is it worth going. I'd give a resounding YES. I think it must be visiting the Old Town, but making such a decision is hard. Wilanow is lovely, but the presence of the digging equipment spoiled the visit. And , of course, the chance of seeing Ewa in her home environment was an added bonus.

Warsaw

by ania70pl

Warsaw was destroyed during II World War but it's rebuilt and it's big and interesting city. So you're welcome to visit my hometown.
You can't miss Old Town, Royal Way with Royal Castle, Krakowskie Przedmiescie Street, Nowy Swiat Street, Lazienki Park, Wilanow. Palace of Culture and Science. The Tomb of Unknown Soldier. Museums. Churches. And many, many more.

Can you see them all?

by evaanna

There are many churches in the Old Town. Their towers topped with crosses punctuate the skyline and can serve as signposts once you know which is which. Walking along the town walls in Podwale St, we found it really fascinating watching the changing panorama of the towers as they emerged, disappeared hidden by others and re-emerged again. We simply loved their colours and diverse shapes. We tried to count them but the number kept changing all the time as we walked on, a game that your children might like. The photographs present the changing panorama, starting with a picture closest to Castle Square and progressing along Podwale St. The triangular church top is St John's Cathedral's in Swietojanska St. Not all the Old Town churches are visible from this point though and you must magnify the pictures to see all that are there. In the foreground you can see the reconstructed town fortifications with people walking on them.

Center of Old Town...fountain

by Pawtuxet

From the area of the fountain you can observe all the great buildings which have been rebuilt since the war. (can't imagine how they accomplished that) We ate in a couple of the restaurants outside on the square. Don't think we had a bad meal anywhere.

Language Difficulties

by cheekymarieh

Remember to always carry the name of the street in which you are staying. It may be unpronouncable and you may need it for the taxi driver. I learnt this important detail when I went to a party with my brother one night. He got a little drunk and was in no fit state to tell the taxi driver his address. Big sis had to step in and get us back to some unpronouncable street with an amazing combination of szcs in.

Comments