Willa Amfora

Misciewicz StatueMisciewicz Statue

Frieze on house in Old Town SquareFrieze on house in Old Town Square

I have helping hands

by kikaj121

Will be in Poland for two weeks in November. Looking for cultural,language experience. Would like to work with people in need or could benefit from any thing I can help with. I am USA dentist, and college instructor of anatomy and periodontology. I am adaptable, dependable and happy mature individual(50)
Have volunteered in Cambodia for one month sessions over last ten years.
Looking for any help or direction.

by 68maciek

There is a lot of NGO organistions perhaps these links will be helpfull.

by Jawnuta

This is one of the oldest organisations in Poland, opened by a single man Marek Kotanski during the comunist times, where it was almost impossible to do such work.

by bjakobss

Also Caritas in Poland, don't know much about their work, just a little, we had a little contact with them in Warsaw:

Travel Tips for Warsaw

Street Performers

by M.E.R.V

These kind of street performers you see them in also every major city in the whole. In Warsaw, most of them are in the Old Town and there was this bloke who was singing to absolute rubbish, there wasn't a melody to his songs, it was hilarious! I took a clip of it but I can't download it on VT, what a pity!

Look out for the info plates!

by gzal

As Warsaw tries to become more friendly for tourists also the municipal government makes some effort to promote attractions that you can experience wandering around streets of Warsaw.

One of the major activities was establishing plates with bilingual information (PL + ENG) on more interesting buildings downtown. So look out for for transparent plastic plates on some buildings since they may give you some more information on life and history of Warsaw.

At the link below you can find all of the plates (tresc modulu - content) that were hanged in Warsaw together with their location (lokalizacja) in the city:

The information is sometimes really interesting even for locals:-)

Entertainment at the Barbicon

by Pawtuxet

2001: Some fun guys at the wall around Old Town.. available with axe... for the crazy tourists with busy cameras.
The area around the Barbicon usually has some entertainers offering a variety of song and musical instruments. My trip in 2006 included more of this. An interesting couple sang old folk music to the crowds that gathered.

Could I get marry younger sister of Rasmus?:-)%

by matcrazy1

There were a lot of jokes and both amusing and funny talkings during the meeting. Let me share just one. Hopefully Rasmus (Razmatec) from Copenhagen, Denmark will not ask me to delete it.

Well, somewhen between x and y bottle of beer :-) I got to know from Urszula that Rasmus proposed to Urszula, that is my wife... me to get marry his sister. Hmm... Urszula agreed and justified it telling me that Denmark and Copenhagen were so beautiful and Rasmus so nice (right!) that it would be not a bad idea :-). I asked Rasmus about it and he sustained the proposal and told me that his sister was younger than him. Well, is the idea still relevant, Rasmus? Lol! A bit more seriously: could you invite and bring your sister to the next VT-meeting, please? Thus maybe she would find someone from VT-gang by herself :-). VT-marriages and VT-couples are happy, as I know.

At the beginning, I couldn't learn that, a bit complicated to me, name: Rasmus. But I was shortly explained that there was an abbrevation: Ras. It was easy to remember for me as "raz" means "once" (one time) in Polish language.

Be polite - it helps

by adin

Be polite! Don't behave like you own the place. The Polish people are usually very polite, even when they argue emotionally. Shouting out in public is NOT appreciated as good manners...
If you are contacting any official/city/government worker, ask for whatever you need, don't demand even if it's his/her duty to serve you. Believe me, you'll get more this way.
When trying to speak in the Polish language, don't forget they address each other using the 'third person' forms (pan, pani) unless they are very good friends.

Comments