Dwor Oliwski

Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Costs 62% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• sindre92's Profile Photo

Finest plave in town

We got a fair deal via the Internt, and stayed for four nights. Simply a top notch place. Everything was great, and the staff was both nice and helpful. On my 13th birthday I got a tray with 13 small, handmade cakes brought to my room from the hotel as a gift.

The stay was a fantastic experience, really.

Unique Quality: The restaurant is outstanding. Nothing less. They also have pool, sauna, steam bath, solarium and a gym. Everything your heart desire, really.

Directions: Oliwa district

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Upmarket hotel at a good price

This hotel is my recommendation for every visitor who can afford to pay about 100 euros per night.

Generally I don't like to stay in luxury hotels expecially when I have to pay the bill myself. I consider that it's a waste of money. However, there are more reasons that I almost never stay in 5 or 4-star hotels. They rarely offer good local food. Usually the meals are small, the atmospere too serious and the staff somewhat anonymous. It's a bad place to make new friends while you are on holiday.

But there are exceptions from my, above mentioned, rules. I'd like to stay in small, pretty designed and charming hotels located in beautiful, relaxing setting, somewhere off the beaten path. The location irself guarantees more relax in peace and quiet Their staff is usually more direct and friendly and. I wish they weren't tip me for everything.

I think that Dwor Oliwski, I haven't stayed in though, fulfills perfectly my requirements and expectations about 5-star hotels. I've visited the hotel and I've had a great dinner in the French restaurant there. Dwor Oliwski hotel is a member of the Small Luxury Hotels of the World

Unique Quality: ADVANTAGES
    1. Very pretty design and setting.
    17th century country manor house (Dwor Oliwski) stands in lovely gardens of Valley of Joy (Dolina Radosci) on the outskirts of the historic city of Gdansk called Oliwa.The complex is surrounded by a pretty lake and the forests of National Landscape Park covering the hills around. Both green space around and the carefully restored manor amazed me. The thatched, gable roof of the hotel buildings looks outstanding. I loved it.

2. Typical facilities for 5-star hotel including multilingual staff, guarded parking lot (8 euros per day) and Fitness Center offering an indoor swimming pool (not a large one but beautiful), a gym, massage rooms, saunas and a tanning salon - free of charge for hotel guests (50 zl per day for the others).

3. Price (not at all for me though)
    Check it here
    Well, 96 (on weekends) or 116 euros for a room for two (parking fee included) is not much for someone who used to stay in 5-star or even 4-star hotels in, say, Western Europe or the USA but... as for Poland it's a lot of money. Maybe I need a sponsor to stay in Dwor Oliwski :-). You may spend 2 - 3 times less for a quite comfortable accommodation (to sleep, not to live in) in Gdansk downtown. Although there are more expensive hotels in downtown Gdansk as well, you pay for the location there.

DISADVANTAGES
    1. Location.
    Staying outside Gdansk downtown you can't easily eat out or enjoy Gdansk nightlife. Well, the hotel offers free shuttle to Gdansk downtown (and to/from the airport and the railway station) but, anyway, it takes time. They offer good tourist information at the reception and tours to Gdansk and other nerby attractions.

Directions: Drive northwards to Gdynia, turn left to Oliwa on traffic lights, pass by Oliwa park (on right), watch out, on the right bend there is direction sign to the left to Dwor Oliwski and Kuznia Wodna (Watershed), follow them, drive scenic road up approx. 2 km.

More about Dwor Oliwski

Don't miss the game

by sindre92 about Dwor Oliwski

The restaurant at Dwor Oliwski is French style. It's one of Gdansk's finest, if not the finest. The game is superb. My dad and I dined there every evening during our stay, and tried something new every day. All of it was just superb. The wild boar is great, but my favourite choice is the deer.

Oliwa Manor from 17th century

by matcrazy1

There is a 17th century country manor house (Dwor Oliwski) which is a five star hotel and restaurant complex now. My recommendation is to get there and to the Watershed on the way, and to explore the beauty of both places. Taste delicious meals in a French restaurant (details in my restuarant tips), stay at luxury Dwor Oliwski hotel, a member of the Small Luxury Hotels of the World, or just take a lovely walk around. I didn't sleep at the hotel (I need a sponsor, do yoy know any? :-). But I've taken a nice walk around and I have got a great lunch in a French restaurant.

The manor stands in lovely gardens of Valley of Joy (Dolina Radosci) on the outskirts of the historic city of Gdansk called Oliwa.The complex is surrounded by a pretty lake and the forests of National Landscape Park covering the hills around. Both green space around and the carefully restored manor amazed me. The most beautiful is the thatched, gable roof of the hotel buildings.

HOW TO GET THERE?
I drove by own car (options: taxi, hotel shuttle) from downtown Gdansk (20 - 25 min.). Take main 4-lane divided highway northwards to Gdynia and Sopot, turn left towards Oliwa on traffic lights, pass by Oliwa park (on your right), watch out - on the right bend there are direction signs to the left to Dwor Oliwski and Kuznia Wodna (Watershed), follow them, drive scenic road up approx. 2 km, on the way stop to visit (on right) the Watershed.

The world's oldest (1592)

by matcrazy1

On the way back from the Oliwa manor (Dwor Oliwski) to downtown Gdansk, I stopped to visit the Oliwa Watershed, which once harnessed the power of the Oliwa stream to power a metelworks factory. Well, it stll operates although exclusively for fun and education of visitors. Built in 1592 the Watershed is the world's oldest still operating structure of that kind.

The owner and the guide to this incredible treasure of 16th century engeeneering lives and runs a small gift shop opposite to the watershed. The sign says that it must be at least, as I remember, 5 visitors at once to visit the watershed. Thus the guide asked us to wait a few minutes. Meanwhile he opened a gate for us and welcomed us to walk around the grounds. There are two wooden buildings on opposite sides of the stream, connected by an enclosed bridge built right on top of the water. Two huge wheels (4 m diameter) dip down into the cool brook, and although the water doesn't seem to be running very fast, the Watershed was engeneered to such an incredible level, that there was enough power to cut through metal!

HOTEL DWOR OLIWSKIHOTEL DWOR OLIWSKI

DWOR OLIWSKI RESTAURANTDWOR OLIWSKI RESTAURANT

LAKE BY THE DWOR OLIWSKI (OLIWA MANOR)LAKE BY THE DWOR OLIWSKI (OLIWA MANOR)

WHAT A THATCHED ROOF! (HOTEL DWOR OLIWSKI)WHAT A THATCHED ROOF! (HOTEL DWOR OLIWSKI)

Comments