Dlugi Targ Street 33/34, Gdansk, 80-830, Poland

Westerplatte MonumentWesterplatte Monument

The Dominican FairThe Dominican Fair

Mid November for 4 days

by greenoak

I am visiting Gdansk - Sopot for 4 days from 15th November as a solo traveller.

I expect it to be quiet, but how quiet quiet. Is it a ghost town.
Is there any life at the weekends in pubs and clubs.
Are there tourists this time of year?

What are the best bars - nightclubs for a late 30's traveller?

Is there a football match that weekend, or one I can go and watch. I try and go to a game wherever I am in Europe.

Any ideas for day trips, esp on train and a little further afield thn the tricity.

Finally is there a place that runners go, as I am training for a marathon, so wont be up all night drinking. Too old for that.

thanks

by ghosthunter

Certainly won't be like a ghost town. I'm of a similar age & have been twice to Gdansk alone, in March last year & also October last year. I took the train to Sopot & i can tell you it's a lovely place & weather permitting well worth a walk to the end of the pier. Also some lovely restaurants along the main street in Sopot. There's a couple of Irish pubs in Gdansk that were quite lively all the time i was there & importantly for me offered something other than lager. The local football team is Lechia Gdansk. Could not find any fixture details for them but you may do nearer the time on http://polishsoccer.net/. Although not so popular with the locals i found westerplatte a great trip out. It's where the first bomb of World War 2 landed so if you have any interest in that kind of thing well worth a look around there. An interesting monument marks the spot. http://www.gdansk-life.com/poland/battle-westerplatte has details.

by evaanna

You could go on the train to Hel on the Hel Peninsula and do some running there. There is a cycle track all along the peninsula that should be quite empty at this time of year so you could run along the Pucka Bay. For ideas what to see on the way, see my Wladyslawowo, Chalupy, Jastarnia, Kuznica and Hel pages. The train goes all along the peninsula so you can take it back at any of the places I mentioned. Just check the timetable as there are not many of them in November. But there are many small private buses that you can take instead. The restaurants on the way will probably be closed at this time of year except those in Hel and one or two in Wladyslawowo, and perhaps Jastarnia or Jurata. See the cathedral in Oliwa and of course the Old Town in Gdansk.
There are lots of paths on the hills lining the Tri-city from the south, good for running too, but beware of cyclists there (my husband's uncle is one of them):))I've seen some runners in the forest going along the coast near Jastrzebia Gora too.

by zaffaran

Running along the beach from the beach of Gdansk-Stogi to Gdynia Orlowo is not a bad idea.
In Sopot I can recommend two clubs- Mandarynka (Bema 6 street- on the right side of the main walking area Bohaterow Monte Cassino) and Sfinks, which is close to Grand Hotel.
Have a good time in Tricity!

by Pawtuxet

On my trip to Gdansk we stayed just outside the city and travelled on a day trip to Sopot. Altho it was lovely, it struck me as a seaside playground and I wished I had stayed in the city of Gdansk. See my page for the hotel I would stay in if I were to return. Lots of good restaurants and clubs and things to see and do. Gorgeous city.

Travel Tips for Gdansk

Royal Chapel

by bscott1

The Royal Chapel was built in 1678-81 and was the temporary house of worship for Catholics when St. Mary's was held by the Protestants, on the initiative of King Jan III Sobieski.

Behind the Royal Chapel lies St. Mary's Church.

Polish beer

by HORSCHECK

Poland is famous for a vodka-drinking tradition.

Nevertheless, there are some popular Polish beers. One famous brewery is Zywiec which was founded in 1852 and nowadays owned by Heineken.

Another well known beer brand is Okocim; an old-established brewery (founded 1845), which is now owned by Carlsberg.

Both Zywiec and Okocim lager contain more than 5 % alcohol.

Besides these two beers, I also tried Lech beer. It is brewed in Poznan and nowadays owned by SABMiller.

I'm healthy. I collect money for beer :-)

by matcrazy1

I've found the above advertisement quite funny. It was written on a piece of cardboard by a young guitarist who didn't look like a drunker but like an underground poor (but healthy :-) artist. He gently refused me to take the picture of his face and asked me from which newspaper I am :-). When I replied that I was from none, he disclosed that he hated newspapers and even more television as they, in contrast to him, had given people only bad news. I gave him a coin. Was he a rip-off artist or a creative beggar? Maybe both. By the way, Polish beer is addictive. If you have no money and can play a guitar, welcome to Gdansk :-).

Views from the train....

by Pawtuxet

The landscape looking from the train seems quite peaceful. There are little farms, and quiet hamlets...people going here and there on a bicycle, kids playing, interesting shapes to the houses....things I haven't seen before. I'm an observer of human behavior and the simple things of life when I travel, so I thoroughly enjoy these train rides.

Trip to Hel

by HORSCHECK

The Hel peninsula is a 35 km long small strip of land which protects Gdansk Bay from the sea.
There are a few seaside resorts situated on the peninsula, of which Hel is probably the best known, as it is located at the eastern end of the peninsula.
Hel has a big fishing habour, some beaches, two churches, a lighthouse and a Fokarium with up to 6 seals.
In summer Hel can be reached by ferry from Gdansk; during the rest of the year you should catch a bus or train in Gdynia. The trip by bus or train takes about 2 hours, whereas the ferrytrip is much quicker.

Comments