Hotel Aureus

re train travel to Gdansk

by gdgranny

We are going from Warsaw to Gdansk on Sept 21. We are looking at the 10.50
departure from Warsaw and the train only stops in Gdansk for 3 min. Is this
long enough to get off the train with luggage, especially if there are people
in front of us? Also this train has a coach that doesn't show what class
it is or the seat arrangements on any except one. There is only 1 min
stop in Malbork.
Is any food available on these trains that doesn't show the knife/fork sign?
Can anyone give me info on this.
Thanks

by henrykkanada

This shows the train details for EX 6510.
Coach 5 is the bar coach. It will serve only snacks.
Note first and second class coaches and which are non smoking.
Yes, train waits for all to get off, or as at Warszawa Centralna, to get on (10 min).
Note that the PKP timetable, updated 6 Sept, shows new times: departure 11:43 from Centralna, and arrival at Gdansk Glowny at 16:05, not 15:14.

by gdgranny

Ha,ha, Kathy76. I thought we would just push anybody in front of us off
the train, throw our luggage off and land on it so we wouldn't break a leg.
Yes, we are planning on going to Malbork. I thought about getting of there
and seeing the castle and going to to Gdansk the next day.
Hendrekkanada, thanks for that information on the train schedules. I never
thought about checking it again. I'm not too excited about spending very
long in the train station.
Thanks to both of you.

by Pawtuxet

Made the trip by train and found it restful and pleasant. We brought some food and drinks...a few snacks offered on a rolling cart. We snapped a couple of photos of Marlbork as we passed...train travels slowly in that area. You will want to have a main meal when you arrive in Gdansk. So many wonderful restaurants on the waterfront which you are sure to enjoy. Have fun!
and please don't push when disembarking the train....:-)

Travel Tips for Gdansk

Gdansk's Maritime Museum

by Pawtuxet

At first I didn't think I would have an interest in the Maritime museum...there are so many other things to see and do outdoors. But now in retrospect I wish I had taken the time to tour the many collections of boats of non-European Peoples, traditional vessels and sailing boats from around the world. It's just across the river on Olowianka Island, along with three renaissane granaries.
Moored alongside is the first coal-carrying steamship built in Gdansk after WWII. There are mannequins in vintage uniforms and a display of Swedish cannons recovered from the Swedish-Polish War in the 17th century. Such an enormous collection would take the better part of a day to investigate, but perhaps one day I'll return to Gdansk and give it the attention it truly deserves.

Street Musicians

by gale.blog.pl

Gdansk is one of Poland's major cities. It is very often visited from tourists and businessmen from both Poland and abroad. That is why it is also one of street musicians' favourite place.

Should you find their job useful and fun drop a coin :)

German versus Polish

by matcrazy1

There are odd numbers of houses along a city street and even ones on the other side probably in all countries I have already visited. Well, there is one exception: Berlin, Germany.

In the old town of Gdansk it works just like in Berlin. The houses are numbered one by one on the one side and back from its end on the other side. Simple but quite different I used to see. Does it prove strong German influence in Gdansk? Maybe. In the other cities in the western part of what is Poland now, I mean the cities which belonged to Germany before WWII, houses are numbered in almost typical Polish order. The difference is that in Gdansk, each old house usually has two consecutive numbers.

Take a boat!

by penny_lu2005

On my trip, since we had the afternoon we decided to take a boat over to a place called, Hell. A wonderful idea if you have alot of time. The boat ride took about 3 hours, but was well worth the journey. And Hell itself was great! A must see!

Trip to Koscierzyna

by HORSCHECK

Koscierzyna is a small village with about 24.000 inhabitants. It is situated in the Kasubia region about 50 km west of Gdansk. The main attraction of Koscierzyna is an outdoor steam train museum, where many old Polish steam trains can be admired.
The Kasubia region is a popular nature region with small villages, forests and lakes. The region is best explored by car, although some villages can be reached by train.

Comments