Lezno Palace

Lezno 45, Gdansk, Baltic Coast, 80-298, Poland
Lezno Palace (Palac w Leznie)
Booking.com Expedia.com Hostelworld.com

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Lezno Palace

Made by Fabergé.Made by FabergĂ©.

Hitler on balcony of Main Town HallHitler on balcony of Main Town Hall

Solidarity monument at the shipyardsSolidarity monument at the shipyards

Ancient and Modern in GdanskAncient and Modern in Gdansk

Birdwatching in Pomorskie

by DAHTangara

I will be travelling to Gdynia in early May and want to do a little bird watching while I am in the area. I will have a car for a couple of days and would like to know any likely places to look for wild birds since I have never birded in Poland before and very little birding in Europe.
Thank you.

by evaanna

First of all, you could go to the Hel Peninsula and look for birds in the forest there and on the beach. I've seen some birdwatchers there. Then you could drive south-east to the Mazury region, where you will find plenty of birds (I know there are lots of interesting ones around the Krutynia and on Lake Sniardwy.) If you could hire a kayak, e.g. in Babieta or Krutyn, there will be lots of interesting birds along the route. You could also go as far as the Biebrzanski National Park where many birdwatchers come specially to watch the birds on the marshes. May would be great to see them. See my Hel (& also Chalupy, Kuznica), Mazury and Osowiec pages.

by evaanna

I have just checked and there are places closer to Gdansk, where you can do birdwatching. First of all, there is a nature reserve called Birds' Paradise in Gorki Wschodnie near Sobieszewo. There is an ornithological station of the Polish Academy of Sciences there. It's a place which is very good for watching migrations of wild birds too.
Another bird reserve can be found near Oslonino north of Gdynia but south of Puck. It's called Beka. Wish I could tell you more about the birds to be found there.

by DAHTangara

Thanks evaanna, I will try to check them out when I get there and let you know how I do.

by evaanna

I am staying in the area at the moment and yesterday we met a birdwatcher in Kuznica (on the Hel Peninsula) There is a camp of birdwatchers from Gdansk University in the forest between Chalupy and Kuznica. They are watching migrations of birds. They are going to stay there till end of May.

by mona28

if you like birdwatcheng - some day you can visit Lower Silesia area.
Barycz valley River is great place for it.
I'm photographer and i love that place!

link:

have a nice time in Poland!

by DAHTangara

I have returned from Poland and had a wonderful time. I went birding in Gdynia, Gdansk, Rewa, Beka Reserve, The Hel Peninsula, Rozewie, Gdansk Oliwa, Lake Druzno, Wejhayowo Park, Sopok, Westerplatte, Szymbark, and Lezno. I had a lot of help from an ornithologist from Gdansk who took me around to most of these places and I was able to see 130 species of birds. Most of the people I met were wonderful. Poland was a pleasant surprise and as one of our commercial advertisements here in the USA used to say, You've come a long way baby.
Keep up the good work. I will certainly recommend Poland to other folks.
Thanks to everyone.
Dave

Travel Tips for Gdansk

St. Catherine Church....

by coceng

My camera is cheap I know, the flash is not strong.
I wouldn't expect the night photo, in this case the dawn photos; to turn out okay.
Nevertheless I managed to capture the sight of St. Catherine Church at this hour.
I didn't manage to capture this church known as 'The Mother Of Gdansk Churches' during light hours, so I could only present this for my own memory & also what you could see in Gdansk, if you spend more times exploring this beautiful city.

Check out the shops...hang out in the cafes

by Pawtuxet

The promenade along the waterfront is lined with shops and cafes for casual browsing..or serious buying. You could wander by day and decide where the evening dinner will take place. There are as many photo ops as there are buildings in Gdansk. Nearly every direction you look in could be considered a worthy photograph. Mostly amber jewelry is sold along this strip, but there are other items as well....and soon you don't really care about the merchandise cause it's just so pleasant walking there. You could take a break and ride one of the tour boats, or drop in to a cafe for a beer or cappuccino.

Jim & Jam (Bolek and Lolek)

by matcrazy1

I've found this picture painted on the wall of fake grocery store (reconstruction from 1970' or 1980') in the Roads to Freedom exposition. Do you know these two cheerful and imaginative boys (brothers)?

Well, the picture depicts a scene from the very popular Polish cartoon series for children, I used to watch on Polish TV in 1970'. At least two generations of kids grew up watching these cartoons. The cartoon was sold to many countries all over the world and was named "Jim and Jam" in English while "Bolek i Lolek" in Polish. I liked especially the series "Bolek and Lolek in the Wild West" and "Bolek and Lolek on vacation". Well, it had something to do about travelling.

Sopot...

by coceng

When in Gdansk, a visit to Sopot is a must ! A seaside town with plenty of activities on the beach & around the town.
Swimming, walking, hiking, shopping aplenty in Sopot !
An amazing place I can tell you !
It is on the north of Gdansk, just 12 km away.
The commuter trains run every 10 to 15 minutes only.
It is after all Gdansk's sister town...My Sopot Page

Sztutowo - formerly Stuthoff -...

by vilkas

Sztutowo - formerly Stuthoff - was one of the largest Nazi death camps of World War II, where large numbers of Jews as well as Poles and Lithuanians were gassed and cremated. Many of the original barracks were destroyed by the retreating Nazis in 1945 but quite a few remain standing, and the exhibits are a sobering reminder of the horrors of that time. Curiously, few guide books even mention the place. To get here you will need to take a bus from Gdansk's main station. It is about a 30-45 minute ride but you can combine it with a visit to the beach, which is about a 15-20 minute walk from the camp. Suggested reading: _Forest of the Gods_ by Balys Sruoga, a Lithuanian inmate of the camp.

Comments