Willa Zbyszko

ul.Slaska 64, Gdansk, 80-388, Poland
Priceline.com HostelBookers.com Booking.com

More about Gdansk

Passing the famous shipyards.Passing the famous shipyards.

Saint Maria paintingSaint Maria painting

local pirate shiplocal pirate ship

Just inside the Green GateJust inside the Green Gate

Meeting Place

by JakSiemasz

I plan to meet some friends from Poland in Gdansk when we stop in Gdansk on our Baltic Sea cruise. What is a convenient, well known place in the Old Town at which to tell my friends to meet? Is there a main square with a monument, church, building, etc. which will work as a meeting place??? We're only there for the day and I want to meet somewhere unmistakable so we don't have to spend time looking for each other.
Thank you very much...dziekuje!
Stan

by Aly3012

The Golden Gate, a large decorated archway at the top of Długa St, or the Neptune Fountain, near the other end of Długa St., are probably the best meeting places in the centre. Everyone knows them & they are very easy to find.

by Aly3012

Sorry, it should read "Dluga St."

by casey128

neptune fountain

Travel Tips for Gdansk

Long Street (Ulica Dluga)

by matcrazy1

The main and the most representative street of the old town of Gdansk is called Ulica (abbrevation ul.) Dluga which means Long Street. The street is closed for traffic and crowded with pedestrians. Although it's only about 400 m long, it took me a few hours to see, visit and taste some of its attractions: food, museums, architecture etc. It's probably the only street in the old Gdansk without any church put along. Commerce of the wealthy city instead of any religion had to rule between the Golden Gate in the west and the Long Market (Dlugi Targ) with the Green Gate in the east.

For details on what to see and do walking along Dluga Street read my what to do, restaurants and shopping tips, please.

ARCHITECTURE
Renovated recently, high and thin front facades of the burgher houses remind me some other old Hanseatic cities like Tallin (Reval in the past) in Estonia. I amazed numerous roccoco portals, gothic mouldings, decorative statues and original porticoes.

MUSEUMS
There are two, I recommend to visit:
- the Uphagen House (# 12)
- the History of Gdansk Museum (# 47)

FOOD
There are a lot of restaurants, pubs, patisseries etc. with tables put along Dluga Street. It's the best place to watch both locals and visitors, both from Poland and from all over the world. I heard English, German, Spanish, Russian, Ukrainian and once, a surprise, Greek there.

SHOPPING
There is an unique mix of really local and kitchy, touristy shops and boutiques along Dluga Street. Local business is fast growing and changing mostly in good direction, I do believe.

My Last Photo...

by coceng

This was my last photo taken by me in Gdansk.
The sight of the train station.
I had to leave, I wish I could stay longer.
Gdansk is so beautiful that you guys have to find ample times to chart yourself around this beautiful place in Poland !
I took the night train to Wroclaw.
Sharing the same compartment with an old lady who's afraid of thieves.
Wish I had taken her photo....
I couldn't even find a time to capture myself in Gdansk because I was too busy taking the sight photos....
I will be back for sure.
When ?
Only the time will tell...After Gdansk, I Would Continue My Journey To Wroclaw...[Click on the word 'Wroclaw']

Welcome back German language

by matcrazy1

Forbidden previously (1945 - 1989) German language started to come back to Gdansk in the early 1990' when Poland regained independence from the Soviet Union and when official relations between the two states: Germany and Poland started to normalize. Nowadays, there is information for visitors put usually in three languages: Polish, German and English, sometimes in French and Russian, too. This language change reminds me similar change in Vilnius, Lithuania, formerly the Soviet republic and Poland before WWII (less Russian, more Polish).

A few young (up to 30yo) citizens of Gdansk, I was talking to, have nothing against coming back German writings, as a part of Gdansk heritage. I am not so sure about the older generations.

Travel books

by matcrazy1

I had bought two books on Gdansk before I decided to visit the city:
1. "Gdansk od srodka. Kieszonkowy przewodnik." - Gdansk from the inside. Pocket guidebook. This great, 96-pages, illustrated travel book contains detailed description of a few tourist walks for visitors, each with a good map. Add some practicalities, a few proposals of trips out of the city and a seperate pocket map of Gdansk.
2. "Gdansk oraz Gdynia i Sopot" from the series Dookola Polski - 248 pages full of text and comprehensive information on the Tricity and surrounding area of Poland. It include a lot of practical information but not good maps.

Good news: both books are available in most bookstores in Poland and both are not expensive.
Bad news: they are published exclusively in Polish language.

Gdynia...

by coceng

If you are in Sopot, you have to go to Gdynia as well !
About 20 km from Gdansk & a further 9 km from Sopot.
Gdynia is smaller than Sopot. Although it doesn't have the historic splendour of Gdansk & the tourists activities are less than Sopot, Gdynia is part of the Tri-City of Gdansk-Sopot-Gdynia.
There are some good museums in Gdynia & also a small forest with good hiking trails...
My experience was walking along the beach from Sopot, seeing the beautiful sea sights.
Although about 7 to 8 km I was walking, it felt like an idle stroll all the way !...My Gdynia Page

Comments