Hotel Apartamento Dom Pancho

Costs 116% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Hotel Apartamento Dom Pancho

Dom Pancho apartments...

by zezebar1

Dom Pancho apartments Portugal,Algarve,Abufeira. A 4 star set up with its private tennis courts and gym,very well located only 5 minutes walk from all bars,resturants,shops etc. The apartments offer 2 pools one with a 3 metre hight and a small pool for the kids,pool side bar and also main bar.Food very good and at a good price.
Between 1500,5000esc per night depending on the time of season Very spaceous,clean and staff are very helpful

Loved the Dom Pancho

by TripAdvisor Member Bluebird18

My partner and I stayed at the Dom Pancho at the end of September for a week. After reading some of the negative reviews left by others we were slighty worried about what we would find when we got there but we were pleasantly surprised. We stayed in a pool view studio apartment which already had one or two upgrades done (new sink and hob in kitchen area, new hand basin in bathroom etc). The only down side was a dodgy fridge (freezer compartment door missing which meant there was loads of ice which dripped when door was opened) but as we only used it for storing the basics (water, wine etc) it wasn't too much of a problem. Yes the apartment needed a lick of paint but as the complex is closing at the end of this month until early next year for a major refit everything will be shiny and new for next year.

We found the staff to be very friendly and courteous even when I complained that the tea towel was missing from the apartment (one was delivered about an hour later). The apartment was cleaned every day and the towels changed once during our stay (as promised in the brochure in the apartment). Also there was no evidence of a smell of sewage or anything else unpleasant in any part of the complex.

We only went down to the bar a couple of times but again the staff were polite and helpful. I have to admit though the entertainment on those two nights wasn't that great but perhaps we chose two off nights.

We found the Dom Pancho really central for shops, restaurants and bars and would disagree about the area "being a bit rough" although the pavements leave a bit to be desired (ladies don't wear high heels!). We had breakfast out most mornings (worst was at the Kilt & Celt, full of grease) and ate out every night choosing a different place each time, mostly those run by locals.

A must is a trip to Albufeira Old Town on the "train" we bought an all day ticket for 3 euros each, went down during the day for a walk about (building work in the square is more or less finished) and then went back down at night for a meal (the atmosphere completely changes at night). One thing not to miss is the sand sculptures on the beach, they're truly amazing and are lit up by candles at night.

All in all we had a fantastic holiday in Portugal and would go back to the Dom Pancho in a minute.

Get what you pay for

by TripAdvisor Member AnnieM1

Stayed at Dom Pancho for 10 nights late August. Very basic but generally clearn accommodation. This was a late deal holiday with Thomson and cost £730 for 2 adults (reasonably cheap). Did not use any of facilites as prefer to be out and about on holiday but noticed large number of families who gathered around pool every day and out very early to claim sunbeds. Had previously been to Algarve in 1984 and stayed at villa on Cardiac Hill at Praia D'Oura (now called Albufeira new town). Have to say very disappointed - too commercialised and the worst of British for us. The Strip is awful and typical of Brits who who want Blackppol with Sun. Pleased to see Albufeira old town still nice and lots of great restaurants - try 'O Tunel' halfway up steps next to tunnel to beach. Taxis quite cheap - 3.9 euros from Dom Pancho to old town.

Never go back

by TripAdvisor Member LLogan

Apartments were disgraceful, I was there with 4 other young people we had 2 rooms, both our rooms were only cleaned twice in the fortnight we stayed, our towels were changes 3 times and our bed sheets were only changed once, when I went to complain the receptionist made fun of me.

This is the worse holiday apartments I have ever been too, Portugal itself was lovely lots of nice bars and restaraunts and the people were very friendly (except for in the apartments) I would not recommend these apartments to homeless people.

Do not go to the DOM PANCHO EVER!!!!!!!

Lingering sewer smell.!!

Stayed at The Dom Pancho just last week.! When we arrived the reception area was not too bad apart from needing updating and a good air out from the sewer smell that greeted you. Lifts a bit dodgy and corridors very dark have to keep turning on the push button for light every so often.The room was overlooking a dirt track road with no views, the sun did not hit the balcony at any time through the day also. Room could have done with gutting out it was very dated, the furniture was grubby and as said before on another review the once white balcony furniture was grey with dirt. The bathroom had a constant smell of sewerage. This was so bad a very very quick shower was all could be managed each day as it smelt so bad. The extractor fan did not work. The light in the main part of the room was also hanging with a wire across to the side of the wall. Staff did have good English but don't take to complaints very well so Beware..!! The pool and bar were ok with limited snacks and needs more sun loungers without doubt..! We managed to get a lounger each for the 1st time on our 2nd to last day.
Aside from those problems.. it was quiet of an evening and was only 5 mins to the strip which was perfect. Taxi only 10 mins and 4 euro to the old town which although a bit of building work going on would definately recommend visiting. Great bars and lovely Restaurants.. (Liza's was best, good service and immaculate inside). The beaches are very nice too.. The old town beach the best.. although the Oura beach only 10 mins walk away. Would definately go back to Albufeira but would have to find somewhere else to stay.. ....

well used but clean

by TripAdvisor Member yarisdoll

My partner and I have just returned from the Dom Pancho, I was unsure before we went as I read the reviews on this site. The apartments are well used and worn but we found them to be clean and have everything you need. I was glad we paid for a sea view as this gave us a nice outlook to sit on the balcony and have a drink and lunch. We stayed for 9 days and our apartment was cleaned every day, we had 3 towel changes and the bed was changed twice (this may have been due to the fact we had a new mattress while we where there). The pool was cleaned every morning! (the pool didn't open until 9am and the pool man would not let you in early). The grounds are pleasant to sunbathe in and are well looked after although a few more sunbeds wouldn't go a miss! (be warned although it's against hotel policy to reserve them you need to be up pretty early to get one). We found all the staff to be very helpful and pleasant. Although quite basic it is situated in a good location and is quiet, and like someone reviewed earlier you get what you pay for. If we can get as good a deal next time we will certainly go back. Just some extra info if your into dolphins like we are you may like to know you can swim with dolphins at zoomarine! it's best to book before you go as it's very popular but well worth it, a fantastic experience!! Happy hols.

Awful Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Lubin68

My partner and I were looking for a cheap last minute holiday for a week in the sun and all that was left was the Dom Pancho..and now I know why!

This hotel badly needs to be updated as mentioned by previous reviewers but unlike other entries we did not find the rooms clean.

The smell of damp and must was over powering from the moment we opened the front door of the hotel.

We had a one bedroom apartment and while it was spacious the lingering smell in the apartment did not encourage us to spend any time in the room.

In the bathroom there were dark hair balls on the floor (from previous guests) and spillages on the doors and walls into the bedroom. The kitchen was so shabby the cupboards did not close and generally felt dirty.

The weather was wet and cold while we were in Portugal and so we had to use the extra blankets stored in the room. The dust and smell from them had us sneezing all night. We tried to air the blankets during the day but with the rain it was not easy.

The hotel pool area looked nice although we did not use it due to the weather.

The bar and health club are located on the lower floor and which was not a nice place to be at all. Again the smell of must and damp was present. We did not try the resturant as there were so many places to eat nearby that looked a lot more appealing.

While we booked our holiday late we had no real expectations of what we would get but as this is a 3 star hotel we did expect 3 star standard accomodation but this was more like a poor 2 star.

If the hotel invested some money in the place then I could see why people would go to this hotel but until then avoid at all costs!

clean enough, good location

by TripAdvisor Member ayrshireburd

not a bad place, in need of some upgrading but clean enough. Good pool area, plenty of loungers (maybe not in high season). In an ideal location aswell. About 200 yards along the road is a place named The Zoo, if your going out for a meal this is the place to go, absolutely superb!! Its cheap aswell and kids under 12 eat free! All in all we had a good holiday, would recommend if your on a budget.

Fantastic! Great Hotel - will definately go back!

by TripAdvisor Member Ms_NP

After reading other peoples reviews of this hotel I was a little worried!

I was so wrong to be worried it was a brilliant hotel!

The Location
A 4-5 minute walk to the strip with a couple of good pubs on the way! Really thought the location was brilliant, the walk to the beach is about 10 minutes.

Pool
The pool is really nice and clean and a great size. Really enjoyed going in the pool. We tended to get up to put out towels about 8am just to be sure. But I always saw a few spare sunbeds in the afternoon. Really like the pool area as there is a large grassy area where you can get away from the kids and have some peace and quiet. Spent almost every day round the pool as thought it was fab! The pool bar is good everything you need!

Room
Rooms were nice and clean which is most important!
Please see my pictures although they don't do it justice!
They were nice and large rooms I was very pleased with them. We had a double bed which is unusual when you are abroad! Lots of wardrobe space for your clothes! I was pleased also as there was a dressing table for me to get ready on a night, with large mirror and sockets for the all important straighteners! Also another long mirror by the door.

There is a small kitchen area with cooker, fridge, microwave etc. (Didn't use them). There is a dining table and sofa also.

The bathroom was nice and bright and clean. The shower was fine, nice and hot and reasonably powerful. Not like you get at home but it did the job and I was happy!

The balcony was great, plenty of room to sit down with a drink. There was also a washing line on there which came in handy. Great view too!

Cleaners came everyday - although they did tend to come about 4 or 5 pm. This wasn't a problem as we'd just sit on the balcony til they had finished.

Please make sure that you hand your keys in at reception before you go out on a night- as we lost ours and was informed it was a 50 euro charge! Although thank our lucky stars we found it the following night - we'd left it in a bar! oops.

All the staff were friendly. I am already planning my next trip there. I can honestly say I can't find a fault with the hotel we had a really great holiday!

Places to try:

Diamond bar on way to strip - Has lots of large screen telly's for football (which my boyfriend loved), also pool table and games. Cheap beer €3.75 for a pint and half.

Senor Frogs italian - near la bamba pub! - Absolutely fab fresh made pizza. We went 4 times.

Rumours- Next to the hotel, great breakfast!

Wild and Co restaurant - Gorgeous place, very modern place and contemporary food. Rather expensive but good!

We really enjoyed old town - take the train €2 each for the laugh.
Taxis are only €3.90!.

Hotels not Bad but the Area is rough

by TripAdvisor Member toon_tigger

Got to say the hotel itself is not bad..........but they are closing for a re-fit so it will be all shiney and new.

the area surronding it though is a bit on the rough side and a few of the local bars would be worth avoiding after midnight as they fill with locals who are not to friendly

the strip is about 10mins walk away and is the usual brit area cheap bars side by side.

its worth getting the bus to the old town 1euro about 70p the beach is clean and spacious with plenty of bars and resturants

Should I come to Albufeira?

by leeegglestone

Ive found a cheap flights to Faro - £90.
And also cheap accomm, narrowed it down to these places, as the are cheap, have what I want and have had consistent good reviews

Dom Pancho Apt
Casa Mitchell Apts
Solferias.
ranging from £71-£110 for the accom for a week, so its a cheap weeks trip at £200.

Im looking to come here for 1week. starting this saturday (26th if im convinced) I will be coming by myself.

Ive noticed theres mixed weather going on. Do you think if i come it will be pretty warm weather, sunbathing weather? The 5days forecasts show its gonna get cooler.

I was after a nice warm, quick break, and so some warm sunshine would make my stay better.

Oh also how long would you say the flight is from Newcastle? 3hours ish?

RE: Should I come to Albufeira?

by warlike

Hey
As far as i know, it's been kinda rainy lately.. not too could though. if it was in october probably you would've enjoyed some hotter days.. but it has been getting colder, as we're getting some cold north coming winds :P plan your summer and just come over, and have fun :)

best regards