Ocean Ville

More about Albufeira

DolphinsDolphins

Audience participacionAudience participacion

Local HousesLocal Houses

detail of the bell towerdetail of the bell tower

christmas in albufeira

by lynpaul1

We have booked to go to albuferia on christmas eve landing just after lunch we will be hiring a car, we are getting concerned that no shops or bars will be open for a few days, are bars in general open even just for a snack, we dont need a traditional english dinner.whats it like there at christmas and weather. any info will be a great help, we will be going home new years eve, i know this is the best night but i have work,.

by Tricky_Dicky69

Hi,
I have been to the Algarve several times but never at X-mas. Some of the restaurants tend to shut down during the off season but I'm not sure exactly what will be open for crimble. Hiring a car at this time of year will be cheap as chips so may be an option to broaden your horizons.

The weather may be a bit pot luck and could range from pleasantly warm to chilly and wet. The days are quite short as the sun will be going down early. Most summer type attractions, i.e. water parks etc. will be closed so this will need to be a chilled out type of break. You should be able to get accommodation for a song at this time of year, even though it is Christmas.

Hope this helps.

by cubsur

On Christmas Eve just about everything closes at 7 or 8pm, even a lot of bars. Some restaurants will be open for a little longer - after all there are 20,000 or so of us living here and we have to eat. But don't expect to go out at 9pm and find much going on. Go shopping as soon as you can!

Christmas Eve is a time for a family get together then it's midnight mass. The Portuguese do observe the religious aspect of Christmas.

On Christmas Day in Albufeira many bars and restaurants are open for business. All shops etc are closed. You won't get a 'traditional' English Christmas lunch/dinner without booking ages in advance as not many places do it.

December 26th is not a holiday but a normal Sunday and you will find things returning to normal.

Pity you are leaving on December 31st as there will be 80,000 people here in town for the New Year's Eve party.

Weatherwise we have been lucky these past few years around that time of year, with only a little rain. It does get cold at night though. If the rain does come, it can be fairly horrible.

by lynpaul1

Thanks for the reply, we will be going for a chilled break and hiring a car so we can go out and about.At least I know now that we are not going to starve or die of thirst.We were going to malaga but thought portugal would be a change, it will just be nice to be away from christmas in britain as its rubbish now, no atmosphere anymore.
REgards lyn

by lynpaul1

Thanks for replying, I will be taking my winter coat with me,We would have liked to stay for christmas eve but I have work at 730 the next morning and don't think I would have made it.
Hopefully we will have a chill out week seeing a bit of the place.
Regards Lyn

Travel Tips for Albufeira

Countryside

by Carmela71

We decided to get lost on the countryside, we did not know very well, where we were heading as we did not had still a proper road map, but it really deserved.

I love the countryside maybe as part of my family had been farmers and always loved to go in summer to help them (of course that was while I was a child, after I preferred to go to the parties instead of helping them hehehe, now only for grape harvest lol)

Open discoteque

by Carmela71 about Libero

Even if noisy, I liked this disco, maybe because we went on a Portuguese bank holiday and there were quite a few Portuguese people around, but at least it was not only brits around (ok ok, I should shut up as I was on the place with a brit but now is half Spanish hehehehe so it does not count ;-) ))))

One day there was a group singing really good, sorry do not remember his name.

Slide and Splash

by bugalugs

This water shute I found frightening. It looks so simple. I watched for a while before I was tempted/persuaded to have a go. When you get to the top and its your turn to sit down with your legs hanging over the side you realise the drop is high and almost vertical!!!!

The man blows a whistle and you must GO!!! Oh my goodness what an experience, I had watched people come down, in a sitting position, well that lasted about one second for me, I ended up flat on my back but going head first and my legs stuck somewhere up in the air!!!

Never again I thought when I got out of the splash pool. About two hours later I was coerced into having another go by my son and husband, and me like a fool went on it again. I must be stark staring bonkers)!!! This time I fell back on my back and was spinning around at the same time. I am sure people watching thought I was performing stunts or a new version of break dancing! :-)))

Comments