Sol E Mar

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Sol E Mar

Wonderful Sol e Mar

by TripAdvisor Member BarryIslandman

Wife and I stayed here at the Sol e Mar in January 2006 - will never forget the views and sound of the waves gently breaking on the beach - very relaxing, fantastic holiday in the hotel and touring the Algarve. Enjoyed it so much we are going back to the same room in Feb 2007.

This hotel was supposed to be 4 star

by rob-craig about Sol e mar

The Sol e mar hotel in Albufeira old town, this was advertised as a 4 star hotel in the airtours brochure,and at first sight I thought it was.however it was poorly faciltated with the same limited food each day(which was pretty awful)with only 1 bar and 1 bartender for a whole hotel the entertainment staff were rude obnoxious and basically insulting i will never return to this hotel on its good side I did have a room wich looked directly out to the sea.

Loved the beach!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member margr1et

In june I stayed at the sol e mar for a week with my family. I had a terrific time. The location of the hotel couldn't be any better. It's in the centre of the old town and it's located on the beach. The guest are a little older that makes the hotel nice and quiet. The beach infront of the hotel is great and the service there can't be better...I booked my rooms already for june next year. Then I'm going with 5 of my friends. I can't wait!!!!

wow fantastic hotel

by TripAdvisor Member hello64

We stayed at the Sol E Mar hotel for one week starting 8th October and I must say what a fantastic place it is. It was spotlessly clean and the staff were superb. They couldnt do enough for us. The food was second to none. A different menu every night and wow the food was so fantastic that my partner wanted to bring the chef home with us!! The location, on the beach, is just fabulous. Absolutely breathtaking. Waking up to that beautiful view every day certainly put a huge smile on our faces. The weather was gorgeous. We are very suntanned, which in itself makes you feel healthy and refreshed. And going to sleep at night to the sound of the ocean is so romantic. We will definitely be going back there very soon. Loved every minute of it. Thankyou 10 out of 10 for everything.

Perfect Holiday Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Ellen2108

The Sol e mar Hotel is in the centre of Albufiera Old Town next to loads of restaurants.

The hotel is a fantasic one. All 74 rooms have a view of the beach and all the balconies are totally private. No one can overlook you from the front or either side.

The towels (2 bath, 2 hand and 2 guest) were changed every day and the bed linen was changed every 3rd day.

The rooms were very spacious and could, if required take a third bed with no problem. The TV was free although only 2 English Speaking channels.

We were only bed and breakfast and the food was exceptionally good. EVERY morning the food was the same, but instead of (as is usual in hotels you either have boiled or fried eggs) at the Sol e Mar you had everything every morning. The breakfas was:-

3-4 kinds of bread, 3-4 kinds of rolls with crousants also.

Fresh Fruit - apples, bananas, oranges and plums.

A large bowl of mixed fruit and tubs of yogarts

6 different types of breakfast cerial including museli

Fresh Orange juice
Fresh Peach juice
tomato juice
fresh milk

The staff are very very friendly.

The evening entertainment is a bit dated More suitable to people in their 60's. My husband and I are only 49 and 50 but we were out every night but occassionally came back to the hotel bar for a last drink and the entertainment was alright but a very good standard if you are over 60.

The hotel's Rainbow Bar is lovely and can I advise you the drinks are cheaper than in the bars in the Old Town and you are getting named drinks, i.e. Scotch Whisky, Smirnoff Vodka, Gordons Gin etc. There is no local versions and the measures are also better than in town. The bar does close at midnight but you can order a drink and take it to your room we did this quite a lot and sat out on the balcony.

The hotel is well maintained and not ultra modern but not old fashioned either I WOULD say it deserves its 4 stars.

Perfect Sea View!!!

by TripAdvisor Member LLogun

This hotel cannot be beaten for its view - every hotel room faces the sea & what a sight first thing in a morning!
The hotel is situated on the beach. It is clean, friendly, with a lift as all the rooms are below reception. Staff are friendly, rooms are kept clean. It has an amazing bar with a glass balcony where you sit out and just look at the sea. We would go for the happy hour - the cocktails are just gorgeous!
The breakfast was great - buffet style but had everything on offer, eggs, bacon, fruit, yogurts, you just help yourself.
We loved being in the Old Town - the restaurants were all wonderful and it was so quaint and picturesque.
We will definately be going back!

Good Value

by TripAdvisor Member tootsl

We enjoyed a nice relaxing holiday with friendly and helpfull staff and plenty of various types of music in the hotel and the surrounding area.The food was very tasty although we would have preferred a better sweet selection ( no icecream ) the hotel was very clean and you just had to ask and the staff would see to your requests. The hotel is right on the beach with good sized private balconies and having hired a car and visited all along the the Algarve sea front i would say it is situated on one of the best locations that we saw. The only sound we heard late at night when the balcony door was open was the sound of the sea as sometimes it was a bit choppy.The weather was great ( not too hot ) which meant that you could walk about the various shops and eating places without having to hide in the shade. I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for the laid back type of holiday.

Horrible hotel

by TripAdvisor Member kxa

We stayed at this hotel after we read the reviews about the see view. And the view was the only beautiful thing about this hotel. The staff was not polite or helpful (and Im portuguese!). The decoration has not been touched over 30 years!!!!!The beds were uncomfortable. We were not able to get a double bed (we had 2 seperate single beds ) and we had to ask at least twice for the staff to put them together. The rooms at not clean.

We asked 2 of our friends also stayed in albufeira to meet up with us after diner the staff told them: it was not longer visiting hours and that they had to leave!!!!!!!!!!HORRIBLE...HORRIBLE HORRIBLE. If you want a nice beach go to Albufeira but forget about this hotel. U better sleep outside then here!

Great Holiday

by TripAdvisor Member Hannahsmum

My sister and I stayed at this hotel for a week in early November and we couldnt be more happy with it. Comfortable, clean, spacious and friendly with amazing views and good choice of food. I dont know what the person who found it such an awful place was talking about. Yes, there are 2 single beds that were pushed together and we wanted them apart so, guess what, rather than instruct someone to do this simple task for us, we did it ourselves!! Simple. There is a mixed age range from quite elderly to mid 30's but we did go in November which I think attracts the older client, but dont let that put you off, they are certainly young at heart and visit year after year! The weather was wonderful and I didnt expect to come back with a tan. All rooms have balcony which is a real sun trap and not at all overlooked. Drinks were quite cheap and the beach is that lovely fine sand and slap bang infront of the hotel. Stay here. You will not be sorry!

Albufeira

by ososkint

"Hotel"

Enjoyed a weeks break in Albufeira in March 07, staying in the old town at the Hotel Sol e Mar, nice hotel, nice staff, sea view from every room.

"The Town"

We enjoyed our stay in the old town, it is a nice place to sit down and enjoy a beer and watch the world go buy, picture of the wife proves it.

"The beach"

In March the beaches are not crowded a very pleasant place for a walk, however as the summer arrives no doubt the beach would be crowded, I am not a beach person but the beach at Albufeira in March was a pleasant place to be.

sol e marsol e mar

Puppetmaster and live 'puppet'Puppetmaster and live 'puppet'

TaviraTavira

albufeira portugal beachalbufeira portugal beach

sunbeds costs

by gedconnor

Hi
Can anyone tell me the true costs of sunbed hire on beech near hotel sol e mar where we are staying ist week in june, also hows the construction problems now in the old town, just one more thing is there any sort of guide on eating in the old town.
Any info would be appreciated.

Regards
Gedc

Re: sunbeds costs

by cubsur

Construction work in the old town - please take a look at my webspace http://thomasallen.spaces.live.com where you will find pictures taken on Monday and Tuesday of various work going on. Work is supposed to be suspended for the holiday season starting 1st June.

If I recall correctly (don't use them myself) the sunbeds were €5 last year.

I don't know a 'guide to eating' as such.

Re: sunbeds costs

by rochellebaker

Sub bed hire is average -- 5 euro per bed and 5 euro per umberella

lifts etc

by allanref1957

can any body tell me if ther his a lift or his it steps down to beach from the casa mitchel apartments in albuferia

Re: lifts etc

by solopes

Yes, it is located west of the historic part of Albufeira, in a steep hill. You must consider 10 to 15 minutes walking down to the beach, because the stated 400 meters are true but... for a bird.
There's a new lift to the beach, but in its opposite side, east od "Pescadores" beach, not in "your" side.

Re: lifts etc

by cubsur

There is a lift under construction at the western end of the beach by the rock pinnacle, although when it will be operational is anyone's guess!

Take a look at my photo albums at http://thomasallen.spaces.live.com for some recent pictures.

Meanwhile it's the 120 steps or a walk of about 200 metres to the tunnel under the Sol E Mar hotel but even there are about 20 steps.

At the other end (Largo 25 de Abril) there are escalators.

April in Albufeira

by nettyfitz

We are visiting Albufeira at the beginning of April. Will places be open then? Can you tell us about the local buses from the Sol e Mar Hotel please. Where do they go at that time of year and how often do they run? Do we need to bring warm clothes?

RE: April in Albufeira

by SWFC_Fan

Hi

Most places will be open in April. I visited Albufeira in February a few years ago and even at that time of year most places were operating.

I don't know anything about the buses I'm afraid. However, if you fancy a few daytrips, there are regular trains that run along the full width of the Algarve. Lagos is a busy resort, Faro and Portimao are reasonable sized commercial towns, while Sagres and Cabo de Sao Vicente (the south-westernmost point of mainland Europe!) are also worth a visit.

You should be fine in short sleeves in April. You might want to take a light coat just in case it rains. During my visit in February it was warm enough for shorts and t-shirt during the day, but cold after dark. In April it should still be mild in the evenings.

Enjoy your trip!

Jonathan

RE: April in Albufeira

by vauaddict

Look on www.algarvebus.info it is in English and will give you all the info you want about transport.Also look on www.algarveweather.com you can see what it has been like in April for the past 10 years.But I must tell you that like England April is known as the Showery month.Everything will be open by April so no worries there

Comments