Sitio da Lapa Zona Ribeirinha de Alvor, Alvor, Algarve, 8500, Portugal

Chicken Piri PiriChicken Piri Piri

Restaurante O Alcaide, AlvorRestaurante O Alcaide, Alvor

car parking

by crips

We are visiting Alvor in October and according to the details for our apartment there is no parking. Can anyone give us an idea of where we might be able to park our hire car whilst we are there. We are staying at the Apartments Alvormar, Rua D Sancho. I would be very grateful for any information you can give. Thanks.

by Balam

You can park on the road, when i drive into Alvor i usualy park near the School at the top of Rua D Sancho or on one of the side roads. There are lots of places to park and no charges. It is quiet in October so you will not have to search for long to get a space.

When in October will you be there?

by crips

Thanks so much for your reply, much appreciated. We will be in Alvor towards the beginning of October. Any more tips you can give us please?

by Balam

Alvor is a lovely place, have a look at my Alvor pages for some tips and info

I think you will really like Alvor, most people that visit end up returning.
Any questions please send me an email or post it on the forum and somebody if not me will help you out. I don't check the forums as much as i should.

Welcome to virtualtourist, you will find that it a great website with a fantastic helpful community made up of the nicest people you could ever meet.
I look forward to hearing your opinion of Alvor and hopefully reading some of your tips.

Thanks

Gareth (Balam)

Travel Tips for Alvor

Water and such

by TinKan

We always bring a backpack when we go to the beach as it affords us a place to store the camera and extra water out of the sun.
It even makes a good pillow. Good sturdy shoes if you are going to climb on all the rocks here or if you are going into the hills. Bring some sandals or buy some at the local market, as the sand gets real hot during the summer. Most meds can be found at the local Pharmacies and can be had without a prescription.
You will also find that meds are very cheep here. You will pay more in the tourist towns but it will still be cheaper than at home. You are better to use a disposable camera, as the sand is everywhere. Always bring a towel and something to block the sun. WATER WATER WATER... I can never say it enough to people that are traveling.

An Old Wine Celler

by Balam about Restaurante O Alcaide

Down a side street in an old wine storehouse this Restaurant is not big but it has had and continues to get some really good reviews in the local tourist papers, The food was good and the portions large but it did seem slightly expensive compared to some of the other restaurants in the area.
When we visited there was only us and another couple in it may have been a better experience if there had been more people in and more of an atmosphere.

I am planning on visiting again later this year,

The Owners also own the Cinco Quinas Restaurante on the beach and have just opened a Snack bar called Estrela Do Mar which is near the Alisuper.

Update October 2008:

We called in again and i had Shrimp Cocktail followed by fried Cod Algarve style and it was delicious, Service was ood and the restaurant busy so had a great bustling atmosphere, totaly different than my first visit, I would certainly recomend it.

Corner Bar

by Balam about Albar snack bar and restaurant

This is a great place to sit outside and have a coffee and indeed you will see a lot of locals doing just that.
They have a Juice bar with some interesting drinks on the menu, from Hangover cures to energy boosters, Cocktails to just plain fruit juices include mixes of ginger, cucumber, beetroot, orange, lemon's, apples and many more.
The menu is extensive with a wide choice of dishes, and the restaraunt looks really nice.
I had a Mixed Kebab with BBQ sauce, The Kebab's (2) were a mix of pork and chorizoe and would have been better if it did not have the BBQ sauce as it was a bit sickly after the first one. My son had Spicy chicken Kebab with a Yoghurt and mint sauce,
It consisted of 2 chicken Kebabs with a bit of a spicy sauce poured over and a seperate dish of a kind of mint Raitaand he liked his. Both were served with Chips and salad.
My mum had fish and chips and said it was horrible and was the worst food she had ever had in all the years she has been comming to Alvor, My Father had a chiocken sandwich and said it was ok.
A Woman sat behind us sent her food (something in a bowl) back because it was cold.

I would probably go back and have a coffe or a fruit juice there but would certainly think twice about eating there again and with so many other bars and restaraunts around it will be a long time before i do.

Ria De Alvor

by Balam

To one side the sea, to the other the liquid mirror of the vast estuary stretching inland, and between them a long, broad dune. This beautiful setting is the chosen nesting place of dozens of species of migratory bird. The salt marshes also support an interesting variety of animal life, while the local fishermen still use traditional techniques to catch fish and gather shellfish.
The Ria de Alvor is one of the most significant coastal wetlands in southern Portugal. The mixture of habitats to be found, including sand dunes, mud flats, salt and freshwater marshes and salinas, allows it to support a huge variety of plants and animals, some of which are important on a European scale. The area comprises a headland and surrounding wetlands that are boardered on either side the Arade and Alvor Rivers, which become the Alvor estuary and is protected from the sea by two sand dunes bars that guard the mouth of the Ria a Alvor. Due to the wildlife value of the wetlands the site was designated as a RAMSAR site in May 1996.

Fishing boats

by Balam

Near the old fish market and along the front to the new fishing huts there are many boats pulled up onto the sand or anchored just off shore. They are all very colourful and a great photo opportunity.

Comments