Praia de Alvor s/n, Alvor, Algarve, 8500-904, Portugal

Travelocity Tingo.com Otel.com

Costs 42% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Balam's Profile Photo

A Nice 4 Stars

The Pestana Dom Joao II is situated next to Alvor beach and is a really nice 4 star hotel. It has a nice restaurant and has entertainment at night. Even sometimes it is just a man and his organ or a show by the Pestana entertainment team.

• casa365's Profile Photo

Fantastic Hotel in perfect location

I stayed in December 2009 after the refurbishment of the hotel, very tastefull rooms, great food and very friendly staff. Could not have asked for more.

Unique Quality: Great beach location.

Directions: Torralta, Alvor

• your safe isn't safe with Pestana

We went for 10 day relaxing holiday at the Pestana Dom Joao 2 (Alvor) but on day three it was anything but relaxing as we arrived back from a stroll into Alvor for an evening meal (lots of very good restaurants) to find that our room had been burgled (the door forced open as was the safe which was only held in with wood screws) and all our money , jewellery , camera and wallet had been stolen. The local police are hopeless (we had to spent hours in the station with interpreters to fill out forms which are only in Portugese) the staff were apologetic however 2 months later we are still waiting for Pestana's insurers Generali to get in touch and settle our claim (we're still €1000 out of pocket) and the hotel seems reluctant to do anything to help despite repeated requests. This is not what we expect from a 4 star hotel or from a company of Pestana's reputation.
    So be warned keeping your valuables in the hotel safe isn't always a good idea.
    No photos of this lovely area to post as the camera was stolen ....
    Several rooms were also broken into ours was on the 5th floor !
    Security around the hotel was poor as anybody could bypass reception by wandering in the rear of the hotel as there are no fences to stop them. We won't be using a Pestana hotel ever again.
    And 6 months later neither they or their insurers Generali have been in touch to settle the claim !

• Balam's Profile Photo

Deciving

Set next to the Pestana Dom Jao II Village this apears to be a converted block of residential apartments (there are other residential blocks nearby) but it has all you would expect from a Pestana hotel.

More about Pestana Dom Joao II

Great Holiday

by TripAdvisor Member SuzieB&AndyB

Had a great week at the Pestana Dom Joao II Village. Hotel staff are very friendly & helpfull & the buffet breakfast was fine. The hotel its self had a great location ,right on Alvor beach & a 10 min walk into town. The hotel looked tired in places but overall whe had a lovely relaxing week. Alvor has a great choice of places to eat out & the food & service was top class

Looking for a chill out week with good food & a nice location this is the place

Dont go there

I want to pestana Dom Joao II Village on October 19th for 6 nights. It was the worst holiday of my life.

Hotel

It extremely dated, I felt like I was on the set on Dynasty. The rooms were ok, the dinning room/ bar was horrible. The pool was very poor and looked unhygienic. The best part of the hotel will have to be the beach bar which looked like it was built recently.

The room was clean but that’s it, the air conditioning does not work and there is no tea and coffee making facilities, you have to order everything through room service which was a rip off.

The exterior of the hotel is like a building site (much like Algarve itself). The roads have plenty of potholes which makes is difficult to walk.

Staff

Never met such horrible bunch of people. The reception staffs were stand offish, unhelpful and condescending. The cleaners do not know the meaning of the word privacy and will walk into the room even if you have the 'do not disturbed sign' on the door.

Food

DONOT eat at the hotel, the breakfast and dinner is horrible (dinner in particular is very over priced.)

Town

The town is actually about 10 minutes walk away from the hotel and it is quite nice with plenty of Bars, pubs and restaurants. But if you stay at Alvor for a week there is very little to do and Alvor village will become extremely boring.

Summary

I would not recommend this Hotel and resort to anyone under the age of 40 the hotel is dated and overpriced. There is nothing really to do and people are rude. If you are over the age of 40 and like just laying on the beach or beside the pool and can tolerate rude people you may enjoy this holiday. A week there felt like a life time for me and my boyfriend and was a waste of money, we will not be returning.

Happyness is not a Dom called Joao

by TripAdvisor Member youngchap

Firstly I would like to point out that I do not have a problem with spending money. When it comes to buying a quality item or a good restaurant, it is all about the enjoyment of owning the item or the memorable meal. I do not miss the money or wish that it was still sat in my bank account. However, the excessive amount of money which I spent at the pestana dom joao 11 (who I can only assume was the patron saint of laughing all the way to the bank) is now sadly missed.

It really does begger belief how a christmas day buffet can cost a staggering 98 euro's per head. You may now be thinking what excellent delights were on offer at such a feast, did the waiting staff have an exemplary eye for detail, was nothing too much trouble?? It was rubbish.

The first course featuring badly de-frosted prawns, was served at the table, we knew this because the waiter informed us with the same vigour as if he had just been asked out by Elle Mcpherson. When I asked if I could have some bread to accompany my starter I was told to walk, or perhaps catch a cab, to the buffet table. This was followed by a short train journey to collect the soup course, a cycle ride to gasp at a turkey stuffed with pate and an evening stroll with the family to look in marvel at the selection of freshly defrosted gataeux's. Some of you may be thinking, hmm...98 euros, seems more like a 20 euro meal to me and you would be spot on. Dont forgot to deduct 10% as you have to do the lazy waiters job for them too.

Christmas was not a one off, it got worse. Cheap, bland, tasteless offerings stewed up on a hotplate for 3 hours while people poked at it with with tongs. If this is what you call good food then please stay here, trust me, you will not want to leave. They even charge 50 euros a night, every night, for such pitiful offerings all washed down with a 1970s wine list. New world wines is what I asked for, this place hadnt even been told columbus had set off yet!

The Indoor pool is like a giant petri dish in the middle of butlins dance floor. The gym is 3 exercise bike's looking at it. The tennis courts are un-used, they are lovely but at 20 euros an hour, come on, there is nothing else to do. Apart from call home that is. I tried this as my mobile had no reception but I could have re-fitted the Sultan of Bruneis Yacht for a similar price. I was charged £6 per minute from the phone in my room, a 20 minute phone call set me back a whopping £120. This is the hotels charging I was told, not the telephone exchange. The hotel do not like providing you with change and actually refused to give me change so I was left with literally no alternative.

As I said, I do not mind parting with money. But how many of you would like to spend over £220 on christmas day on a low quality buffet, an hour of tennis and a 20 minute phone call home. Try doing this in a 70's throwback hotel nowhere near a decent restaurant, shop or bar. Then throw in the worst liesure facilities in the town and you have the Pestana Dom Joao 11, the patron saint of laughing all the way to the bank. Just make sure it is not your money making him smile.

loved dom joao

first time for us at dom joao hotel and thoughly enjoyed it, location is fantastic. ok may need an upgrade but generally it was clean and tidy.Alvor itself is a lovely village and well worth a visit, food is second to none. Walking from the hotel was no trouble and made a nice change to feel safe out on the streets. If anyone visits this hotel for a nice relaxing holiday they wont be disappointed.

Nice but dated

We picked the one week where there was non-stop rain however the party of five including a 4 year old child were kept entertained by staff and facilities by this hotel and its local partners. There is a choice of an outdoor pool and an indoor one at the 'sister' hotel. Both are filled with sea water and when we stayed were very cold. We were told they had just been filled up and needed at least three days to get warm. The staff were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble for them. The hotel is slightly dated but is simple and clean. The restaurant and food is good, drinks at the bar are slightly expensive. The local town is only a 10 minute walk away and for a week, there is plently to see. The beach is excellent and in good weather this would more then make up for any negatives. All in all a nice relaxing holiday for a week.

Perfect

My Partner and I have just come back after 7 days of TOTAL PERFECTION. I have been to the Algarve before (in a different region)but this was the fist time for my partner and he was totally amazed at the beauty of Alvor. The hotel was excellent in every area and the staff were so helpful, they couldn't do enough for you, WE WILL GO BACK NEXT YEAR IF NOT SOONER. The location is so pituresque its hard to believe you are only 2 1/2 hours from home. If you want a totally 'chilled out' holiday then you'll have one hear. We are both in our early 40s and would recommend this place for all ages. THANK FOR SUCH A MEMORABLE HOLIDAY.

Wheelchair user in Alvor

by scully1952

I am thinking of staying at the Pestana dom joao in Alvor, can anyhone tell me if there is pavement access into Alvor. Thks

Re: Wheelchair user in Alvor

by cubsur

I can confirm that from Dom Joao II into Alvor is flat but the centre of Alvor is about 1 mile away and although I cannot say for sure that there is a pavement all the way it may at times be difficult.

Re: Wheelchair user in Alvor

by Ttaxi.pt

There is no special pavement into alvor, but the distance is not that big only 700 meters from the centre and the road is very new. I think it will be no problem for the wheelchair.

Comments