Praca D Francisco Gomes 2, Faro, Algarve, 8000-168, Portugal

Booking.com Expedia.com Priceline.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• gsd_1965's Profile Photo

A good hotel in Faro

A good 4 stars hotel, in a very central location of Faro and convenient from/to the Faro airport. Very clean and spacious rooms. Good breakfast buffet on the 4th floor terrace.
    Staff very friendly and helpful. Taxis are parked just outside the hotel.

• AnnS's Profile Photo

Adequate but Lacking In Atmosphere

I chose Hotel Faro purely for convenience and because it's one of only two 4* hotels in the centre of Faro. From details available on the Internet, there didn't look much to choose between them but the Faro advertised WiFi availability so that's why I chose it. And as it turned out, it was lucky I did.

The hotel is right in the centre of the town, facing the harbour, right beside the shops and close to the railway station and airport bus stop, so the location couldn't be better.

The reception staff were helpful and friendly but even though I'd booked a WiFi enabled room, and they'd confirmed it in writing, there wasn't one available when I arrived so I had to spend the first night in a room without it and change rooms the next day.

There's a bar and restaurant on the top floor and the prices were reasonable but the service, although efficient, didn't come with a smile.

However, they did come up trumps when my last day's activities were cancelled due to torrential rain. Although check-out time was midday, they allowed me to keep my room until it was time to leave for the airport in the early evening and I kept myself amused on the Internet.

All in all, I would recommend it for location and as a clean and relatively comfortable base for exploring the region, and the price was very reasonable, but it didn't win any prizes for atmosphere.

Directions: Facing the harbour, about 100m from the airport bus stop.

More about Hotel Faro

Faro Airport: nearby hotels and buses to centre

by Pau365

This is a tip for people taking a flight out of Faro, who are looking for a hotel near the airport.

The nearest hotel is Hospedaria Frangaria (http://www.booking.com/hotel/pt/hospedaria-frangaria.en.html). It’s actually within walking distance of the airport, about 1.5 km. I presume the bus that goes to the airport also stops somewhere close to the hotel.

Faro airport is located between the city centre and the beach, so another hotel that’s not too far from the airport and with easy transport is the one right on the beach: the Aeromar (http://www.aeromar.net/en). It’s also well-connected to the airport by bus.

Here’s the bus timetable between the beach (Praia de Faro or P.Faro), the Airport and the city centre (the stop in the centre is “Avenida”: just opposite the bus station, and also close to the train station). The main bus is the nº 16 (first link below) and the nº 14 (2nd link) also goes there.

Other good hotels quite close to the airport are the Hotel Mónaco and the Hotel Ibis, but Frangaria’s the closest. All 4 can be booked through booking.com.

A Quick Taste of the Algarve

by AnnS

"Algarve Without A Car"

I chose Faro for my first trip of 2006 because, having already been to Lisbon and Oporto, I wanted to see the Algarve. Also, I hoped that the weather would be better than in the UK. I wanted to get some sun on my face... and... I wanted to get a supply of cheap cigarettes (Portugal is the cheapest of all un-restricted EU countries).

As early January is not a popular time for travel, I was able to get an extremely cheap flight with EasyJet - £37.83 return!

I didn't want to rent a car and my flight was arriving late in the evening so Faro town was the obvious place to stay. As most tourists don't stay in Faro, heading instead for the Algarve resorts, there isn't a wide choice of hotels in the town... in fact there are only two 4* hotels, Hotel Eva and Hotel Faro. I chose the the latter, purely because their website advertised WiFi access.

It's an easy journey to central Faro from the airport by bus and the hotel was only a short walk from the bus stop so, for convenience, I'd made the right choice.

"Faro Town"

Faro is not a big town so it's possible to see everything of interest in one day. Having said that, it is full of charm and in winter, when everywhere is deserted, it's a good place to experience the Algarve for Portuguese, rather than the Algarve for tourists.

It's also possible to visit other towns from Faro... either by bus or train.

"Rain Stopped Play"

I had planned to use my third and last day in Faro, visiting another town in the region but torrential rain scuppered my plans completely. It had started to rain half way through the previous day... and hadn't stopped. Neither was it showing any sign of stopping and it was TORRENTIAL rain... the kind that soaked you to the skin in minutes and it was gushing down the streets like rivers. So unfortunately, my sightseeing was cut short and I spent the last day holed up in my hotel room until it was time to leave for the airport. It was even too wet to get to the bus stop so I had to get a taxi but it wasn't expensive.

So much for Algarve being a winter retreat for sun-starved Brits! But I think I was just very unlucky.

Faro hotel or Eva?

by janicejf

Does anyone have an opinion on which is better for a w/e stay?
2 friends, no car, travelling from the Airport then on to Tavira.
thanks.