Lagos Hotels

Our Members Say

• wilgcoffee profile photo wilgcoffee
  • Reviews: 1
Lagos: sun & busses

I'm newbie so etc. Answer to Tootall - I like your approach re the off-beaten town in Algarve. I am doing the same, avoiding massive towns. Its nicer and sometimes cheaper. I got a place in Sagres for €22 (date Sept 2012). In Lagos I now booked for a short-stay of €40 right on the beach. Place doesn't look like the one in Sagres but there's a pool. Re Tariva (its spelled like this) - I too came to the conclusion that's its a kind of bit off-beaten town, no? There I checked out the youth hostel €12 per night). What do you think are the going prices for short stays(3 days)for a double room. I am 64 and so is my wife. We prefer nice 'typical' towns ubove nice beds although we are doing a couple of pousades at €200 a night as well on this trip. Another question, the busses? Can one just buy a ticket onboard and come and go or do you need to book? At railway stations? Taxi's, expensive?

+ talking about Andalucia ... it a bit far south isn't it? Worth it to go that far down if you don't hop over top Portugal as well? I'm not sure. Then Catalonia in the far north of Spain's better imo ... if you choose a 'quiet' town examp Estartit. There's sun and busses and thank god, not too many English people nowadays, since money is becoming tight all-over.

Oeee, what should I write here?

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written July 30, 2012

• kevin36 profile photo kevin36
  • Reviews: 282

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Porta Da Villa: Nice quiet Location

Nice quiet location at the top of the hill from the main streets of Lagos town center
All rooms have air conditioning although can be a bit on the noisy side.
Self catering apartments with living room downstairs leading up to the bedroom and bathroom, up one more flight of stairs to the roof terrace.TV is supplied although we never watched it ,too much to see and do.
maid service every day ,changed towels etc and cleaned to a good standard.Kitchen was basic ,but again we would eat out every night.

outstanding views can be enjoyed from many areas of Porta da Vila, across the terracotta rooftops of Lagos to Meia Praia beach and the surrounding streets are cobbled and hilly. Porta da Vila has its own superb swimming pool surrounded by a spacious, semi-covered poolside terrace and served by a poolside snack bar. The airy apartments are arranged in three sections of the building and offer comfortable, air-conditioned accommodation. The studios are at ground level overlooking the swimming pool, with direct wheelchair access at street level and alternative access via steps from reception. Most of the larger apartments are duplex-style with the bedrooms upstairs. These vary in layout, some having a balcony or an extra bathroom or shower room

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written January 28, 2007
Tip Photo

Porta Da Villa

• Supers1984 profile photo Supers1984
  • Reviews: 2

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Camel Toe Hostel: Do not stay here!!!

Where to begin?!!! Turned up at this hostel and it was horrible from the start!! I knew I was staying in a hostel and I am a party girl but this was disgusting...condom wrappers in the bed and on the floor, random drunk people trying to go through our stuff, dirty disgusting showers with only one of them working! We didn't even stay the night it was that horrible and we didn't feel safe as we couldn't lock our stuff away! Anyone we spoke to who was living or working in Lagos laughed when we told them what had happened and were not suprised at all as they had many stories to tell about the place!!

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Beaches, Backpacking
  • Written January 22, 2007

• Rwafish profile photo Rwafish
  • Reviews: 7

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Car Park Lagos city walls: Car Park Free and habitable!

When I lived in Lagos I stayed in the car park by the city walls for three months rent free and party central!
You might be thinking what a Gypsy, but this car park had more than a few residents. I lived in my baywindow VW Camper and there were about six or seven other residents in their own vehicles (HEY BRAD!) and lots of transitional vehicles too. We showed repect for the place, did'nt make a mess or trouble and had a great time the locals treated us fine as we were working and not taking the Mick. If you go ask someone about 'THE TREE PEOPLE' as we became known !!! Thatts how to travel! Rent and Care free!!!

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Work Abroad, Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written March 25, 2005

• Faracy profile photo Faracy
  • Reviews: 107

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

quartos vs. pensiao: two different situations

The first time I was in Lagos was in July of 2000, right in peak season. I had not planned on staying until I got a look around and realized it was definantly worth more than a stopover.. everywhere was booked, and we ended up staying in Quartos..
To make a long story short I was forced out of the shower with soap still in my hair because the old lady had found someone who was willing to pay more for the room.
This was only a little part of the disapointing experience we had at this location.

The second time we stayed at Pensiao Caravela. Much better! I knew to book in advance. While the rooms are not fancy, and a little stuffy they have cute little balconies and its right in the main part of Lagos.

I liked to watch people stumble their ways back to bed around 5 or 6 AM from my balcony... its right down the street from the bars.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Written July 27, 2004

• Westbrook profile photo Westbrook
  • Reviews: 13

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Casa Beachcomber: The Old Lagos Country Club

Out stay was great. Definitely recommended. Probably best once the summer has had a chance to kick-in; from May onwards. Hal and Collin own and run the property, and they are always on hand for cheerful and detailed local knowledge if needed.

Beachcombers is a beautiful villa in mature gardens, including a bowling green; a vestige from the property's earlier life as the Lagos Country Club (LCC).

Location is excellent. Secluded, quiet and sheltered. Only a 10-15 minute walk (depending on pace or level of inebriation) from the Avenida, the beach and the marina.

If you're driving; town, beach and marina are between only 2 and 5 minutes away.

Service is self-catering, with each apartment featuring a well-equipped kitchen. Upon arrival. Hal showed us around and even stocked the fridge with some essentials: useful since we arrived on a Sunday, and Lagos' shops shut pretty early on a Sunday.

We rarely ate in the apartment, but it was handy to have the option.

The only fault we could find was that, probably given that it was still spring, the apartment has a distinctly cool and damp feel to it. The bathroom was particularly affected. As the season progresses, we suspect that this will become an advantage instead of a fault.

Before becoming the LCC, Casa Beachcomber was the brainchild of an eccentric Englishman who required a house in which to bring up his kids. His criterion that he and his wife had separate wings, led to a large and unique villa which is now thoughtfully divided into six apartments. This recent conversion was masterminded by Hal and Coll. Two great chaps who run the villa on site.

The pool is the hub of the current layout. Plentiful loungers and parasol tables deck the periphary. There's also a bar area and a huge barbecue.

All five apartments catch the sun. And each is unique and will appeal to visitors in different ways.

Pool Apartment
Where we stayed. Closest to the pool, and featuring a wonderful private terrace which enables you to sit in the sun all day if you can't face the 20 ft walk to the pool. The apartment has a good-sized kitchen, big living area, big bedroom, useful dressing room and a big bathroom. It does, however, feature twin beds which require pushing together and remaking for couples intent on enjoying each other's company once the lights are out.

Balcony Apartment
The smallest, but with fantastic views and the most adorable private terrace. This is such a good suntrap, most guests find that they rarely venture down to the pool. Good for couples (double-bed), but not if one of you likes to spend hours in the bath (shower only).

Jaccuzi Apartment
Huge apartment, huge open fire, open plan layout. Twin beds. Double Jaccuzi bath and immediately adjacent to the Pool apartment. Also boats a piano and a traditional writing desk. This was the location of the restaurant of the Country Club.

Garden Apartment
The most private of the pool-facing apartments. A double bed on one of two bedrooms and twins in the other. Not a great terrace for catching the sun, but looks over the gardens which would be an ideal place to position some loungers.

Cottage
We didn't get a chance to look around this one. Looks good though, and is probably the most private.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Luxury Travel
  • Written April 20, 2004
Tip Photo

Casa Beachcomber from the bowling green

Sort by: Most recent | Most helpful