3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Travelocity Expedia.com Booking.com

Costs 66% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• berenices's Profile Photo

Good choice!

We just spent 3 nights in this hotel and found it very good value for what we paid. For just slightly over 50 euros, we got a large double room with a balcony with views of the pine forest and the sea. The hotel was clean, I could not find anything, from the public areas to the room facilities, to fault in terms of cleanliness. The decor and layout of the public areas are somewhat dated, but at least everything functioned in this hotel. We had wifi in the room, so there was no need to use the computer in the reception area, which cost 4 euros per hour. The only thing I didn't like in the room was the lighting -- it was too dim for reading. The lamps are really dim, and with the high ceiling, it made reading a pain. TV channels are in different languages though not that many to choose from.

The breakfast buffet is varied, and they change the menu slightly everyday. The coffee (all types from the machine) was bad -- a big surprise as Portugal is coffee country and bad coffee here is almost unthinkable. The juices were also so-so. But the breads and cakes are quite good, and there are plenty to choose from. They serve buffet dinner every night for 11.90 euros, which is not a bad deal as you get everything from soup and starters through fruit and dessert, and different salads. And they refill them so quickly and with so much, I was wondering (we usually came in later than most and always were among the last clients to finish dinner) what they did with still so much newly refilled hot food left. Service is fast and friendly.

We were surprised to find the hotel with plenty of clients, and were told at the reception that they had 40 percent occupancy which is very good considering the time of the year, and the crisis now being felt in most of Europe. Majority were Dutch retirees, and apparently the hotel has clients who stay here for the winter months as it is cheaper (plus the bonus of better weather) than spending for gas back home.

There is free parking within the gated compound of the hotel.

Overall, great value for money. Recommended to elderly couples and families, though not too interesting for those looking for a romantic getaway who would need more luxurious and intimate surroundings.

Unique Quality: Very clean, close to the beach, gated parking

Directions: A block behind the towering hug building called Yellow hotels

• solopes's Profile Photo

A new look

I stayed in Alcazar in 1990, and I must confess that I was somewhat disappointed - the hotel was worse than Eurotel Altura (where we spent a week in 1989), and much more expensive. It rated then 4 stars and, clearly, needed refurbishing.

I didn't enter this time, but from outside it's clear that the needed works were done. The hotel looks nice, and downgraded from 4 to 3 stars, the prices seem to be... nicer too.

Not being a beach resort it is at very short distance from the sea.

More about Alcazar Hotel

With views over Spain

by rob-craig about Hotel Alcazar

I booked a stay here for two weeks over the easter period as a package deal with my childern,I was a little dubios staying in a slightly more "grown up" surrounding with them, but as it turned out my kids being them are on the whole well behaved and are more than happy with a swimming pool and a stroll to the beach.service was ok however Sonia the manager was a miserable C@# but that was her loss.I would stay here again however one big peice of advice is DO NOT EXCHANGE MONEY AT THIS OR ANY OTHER HOTEL in this resort .We only got 1.30 euros to the Pound,when the rate was 1.47 ,we went to another nearby resort and got 1.42 euros to the pound. The room was on the 7th floor so we had superb views to spain and the surrounding area it was massive 2 twin rooms both with tv and a one with mini-bar. the pool area was spotlessly clean had a covered snack bar area ,meals were good lots of choice. With an internet point and a games room to keep the kids happy we also had bikes for hire, tennis court,volleyball net and a playpark

Monte Gardo / Alcazar hotel

by trolidoli

Hi can anyone give me some details of what monte gardo is like and what there is to do? i'm a single female travelling...so please let me know if you feel its safe etc for me...and do you know of any karaoke bars?
Also if you know this hotel please advise me what it's like(and what the food is like)..thank u in advance x

Comments