3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

More about Monte Gordo

Tips about Portugal, Monte Gordo

by larina210272

Hello everybody!
I'm going to Portugal this summer, Monte Gordo town is most popular tourist place, therefor I would like to get some info about it if anybody were there. Thanks in advance,
Tatyana.

Re: Tips about Portugal, Monte Gordo

by cubsur

Monte Gordo is a small seaside town with a nice wide sandy beach. It is in the east of the Algarve, only about 5km from the river that makes the border with Spain. There are no hills, the area is flat land.

It is a smaller resort than many so there will be not such crowds.

I am not sure what else I can really tell you!

Re: Tips about Portugal, Monte Gordo

by larina210272

Cubsur,
I've read before that information, but anyway thanks for your reply.

Travel Tips for Monte Gordo

Long stay

by solopes

Monte Gordo is only a beach, with nothing more than a good sea, a large and long stripe of sand, hotels, apartments and camping for thousands, and many restaurants that in August don't seem to be that much. I spent there two weeks.

I hate to stay under the sun.

I survived.

Small and peaceful

by nrone

"Athletes and pensioners"

It seems that the people you meet in the streets of Monte Gordo are either athletes in training camp or pensioners on a beach holiday. Of course there are exceptions, but that's the picture I got when I visited this place. In January this place is quite peaceful and the weather is around 17 degrees centigrade.

Monte Gordo - away from Algarve's tourist traps

by WanderingFinn

"Monte Gordo is a small place near Spanish border"

When we chose the place to stay in Algarve, we did not want to go to the Albufeira area where nearly everything is only for tourists, some streets are full of drunken foreigners all night long every night, there is a lot of noise. Also daytime those areas and beaches are full of tourists. For me it is nothing original and that is what I am looking for and not other tourists.

Monte Gordo is located in the south-eastern part of Portugal, just a couple of kilometres from the Spanish border. With a rental car you can see many really lovely small real original fishermen villages and beautiful houses. Monte Gordo is good "base" to do many things.

There are many small (ex) fisherman villages and small towns which have their original feeling left. Some of them are the most beautiful towns of whole Algarve. I recommend to rent a car.

"Monte Gordo is beautiful and peaceful"

Monte Gordo was beautiful with its palm trees and beaches. Though I have to admit the majority of the restaurant area was a tourist trap and I was a little disappointed. Then we found one street nearer the sea, that was more for nightlife. There were both tourists but mainly local people.

"The beaches"

The hotel area beaches of Monte Gordo were nice too, but for us there were too many tourists. Luckily we had a car, and luckily we had studied the Internet beforehand well enough and remembered to go and find one or two other beaches with are more for locals and even much more beautiful and peaceful. (Please see my tip "What to do" - "Beaches") for some great pictures.

Comments