Praia da Rocha, Praia da Rocha 8500, Portugal

Booking.com Travelocity Priceline.com

Costs 30% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• Mirachoro Hotel II & III Portimao

Making a booking I was totally aware that this hotel was 3 star rated but I must say, I expected some more.
    What's most important, the room we've got was simply dirty. Hair and sand on the floor, sticky furniture surfaces and smelly wardrobe. But the bathroom was even worse! Black coating in the bath tube corners and the mirror together with the underneath shelf made me sick. They both seemed like they haven't been touched after previous guests! And I'm sorry but I consider that unacceptable!
    The whole room looked like it was built and equipped 20 years ago. I don't think they did much when renovated that place in 2004 (as description says). One can say I'm very demanding but the shabby sofa bed in the living room and worn out kitchen cupboards really need to be changed. Not to mention about extremely creaky beds! Nothing in that room worked properly - from howling pipes to burnt-out lightbulbs.
    Overall - the hotel is a good location, not very far from the beach with nice multilingual staff. They are cheap, it's true but I know something about hotel standards and I know how 3 star hotel should look like. And you wouldn't call not having a phone in a room a standard, would you ;) Or no air con in such a hot place (well, maybe that's what the balcony is for)?
    If only they clean better and think of some refurbishment and I would say they're good value for money. But believe me, I can't!

• johnsakura's Profile Photo

Hotel Algarve Casino Praia da Rocha

5 start hotel right on the Avenida da Rocha in Praia da Rocha, Portimao.

Unique Quality: Situated beside one of the Algarve's loveliest beaches - Praia da Rocha is considered Europe's most beautiful coastline and just 2 km from the bustling fishing port of Portimão. 65 km from Faro airport. Limousine service available.

prices:
    89.00 EUR INCLUDING BKFST STANDARD DBL ROOM/TWIN BEDS/MAIN STREET

info taken from the hotel homepage:

Directions: Nearest Airport:65 km from the Faro Airport
    Directions from Airport to Hotel
    Drive to Junction Road 125, turn left direction Portimao, leave Road 125 and follow the signs Praia da Rocha.

More about Hotel Algarve

Hotel Algarve Casino Praia da Rocha

by johnsakura about Hotel Algarve Casino

5 start hotel right on the Avenida da Rocha in Praia da Rocha, Portimao.
The Hotel Algarve Casino offers its guests a rare combination of stylish Portuguese ambience and traditional continental luxury. Surrounded by 7 championship golf courses and offering elegant conference rooms and a gambling Casino Situated beside one of the Algarve's loveliest beaches - Praia da Rocha is considered Europe's most beautiful coastline and just 2 km from the bustling fishing port of Portimão. 65 km from Faro airport. Limousine service available.

prices:
89.00 EUR INCLUDING BKFST STANDARD DBL ROOM/TWIN BEDS/MAIN STREET

info taken from the hotel homepage:

Algarve Casino

by johnsakura about Casino

This is the perfect place to cheer with some life music, gamblimg, loosing money, watch life shows of dancers. Praia da Rocha is indeed full of diverse night spots for you to enjoy and have great time. you can't have sandals and sometimes shorts are not alowed also.

Excellent value for money

by TripAdvisor Member jessica30

We stayed at the Algarve Casino for one week not a 5 star but for what we paid it was excellent. We booked this room through medhotels--- a seaview with breakfast for 380.00 pounds for the both of us. for 7 days We booked our flights seperately.
Our room was excellent a little tired but spotless with full seaview. The landview rooms there is still a lot of complaints from people in these rooms as there is building work directly opposite and the noise of the strip outside is ongoing till the early hours. If you have booked a seaview take your documentation with you to say seaview, that way there will be no arguements, this happened to someone we met they had no documentation with them to say they had booked a seaview as a result they got fobed off with a landview room and had paid we found out double what we paid, so its well worth booking seperately to ensure a seaview room and if a package ask your travel agent to confirm this in writing that you have booked a seaview.
The hotel is on a strip full of bars and restruants mainly catering for the younger crown its worth taking an 8 euro taxii ride up to Alvor, pretty little town full of restruants bars cobbled streets the real portugal.. One exceptional restruant we found is the Adlantis just off the strip about halfway along the service and food is the best we found all week.

Nice hotel pity about the staff

Arrived in Praia de Rocha on the 6th of june after a fantastic 3 days in Lisbon & 1 night in Lagos, highly recommend Lisbon, we stayed in the centre in the hotel metropole, which was a pleasure the staff were terrific, friendly & helpful which gave us a good impression of the portugeses people. Unfortunately our opinion changed When we checked into the hotel Algarve from the word go we found the people behind reception unhelpful & infact we felt as if we were bothering them when we asked questions & made general enquiries. For the 6 days there we felt the same and directed any of our enquiries/bookings elsewhere. Don't get me wrong the hotel is great, the pool area is fantastic, location to beach etc, all fabulous, the rooms are fine a little dated as previously mentioned, but fine. And certain waiters were quiet sweet!!!
Just to let people know taxi's to the airport as quoted by 'Hotel algarve' are '€70.00'!!!
Get a bus transfer for €13.00 pp, perfect service, mini bus with air conditioning, english speaking, & collects you from the hotel. Again the people at reception forgot to mention this service.
My partner and I had a lovely holiday in general, and enjoyed the restaurants, the sunshine, & would recommend it as a place to go, & DO stay in the Hotel Algarve if you want facilities, location & proximity to beach but if its hospitality & customer service DO NOT.

Not a 5 star hotel but still a nice holiday

We stayed here for 2 weeks in June and although the hotel was not a 5 star we did have a good holiday. On arrival we were given a room facing the road and over looking building work. We were not happy with this so after contacting our rep we were given the choice of two others. Again they over looked the road but not directly onto building work.

The breakfasts were very good, as was the pool area with fresh clean beach towels every day. We also found the hotel to be clean ,and the staff friendly and helpful especially around the pool area.

As for Praia de Rocha, it is a very nice area although not a very big resort. We recommend walking along the beach as the rock formations are wonderful and visiting the small marina. This area is fairly new but a few restaurants have already opened up. We tried a couple and highly recommend Dockside as the service & food were excellant. Other restaurants we would recommend are Croak Park for toasted baguettes, the Sitting Bull for its Texan meal and Big Reds Ribshack for his monster ribs!!!

If you are Irish then you are in luck. There are 12 Irish bars in the resort, we liked Temple bar. Other bars to visit are Las Vegas and Classics.

All in all we had a very relaxing holiday but doubt if we would go back. There are so many other places in the world we'd like to visit.

I know why there are mixed reviews

This hotel seems to get such conflicting reviews and I think I know why – but I’ll come to that later, following my review.

I consider myself to be hard working and look forward to my annual summer holiday with my family. I use tripadvisor.com extensively and research as thoroughly as possible our destination and hotel, I was therefore a bit anxious when a couple of bad reviews started appearing after I had booked the hotel.

Having just finished our holiday, I would have to say that I found the hotel great, apart from a few trivial things. The hotel in my opinion has the best position on Praia da Roche with stunning views over the most beautiful beach and the Atlantic ocean (see pics).

Bad points:

Charging 1.60 euro for a bucket of ice to your room – not 4 or 5 star standard.
Charging 2 euros a day for small digital safe – not 4 or 5 star standard.
Erratic children’s club – Shouldn’t have been advertised in brochures.
Car Parking – the spaces outside the hotel are scarce to say the least, to help with this the hotel gives you a ticket for a small multi-storey car park about 10 minutes away. While the doesn’t sound a problem it is when your there for 14 days and have to walk up and down to park your car – again not 4 or 5 star standard.
A couple of the older waiters in the restaurants could be doing with smiling a bit more rather than walking about looking as if they were contemplating suicide (maybe they were?).
The depth of pool at shallow end for young kids was too deep, from memory I think it was 1.3m and the water temperature could have been raised a tad.

Good points:

Views from the balcony were outstanding, we were 4th floor.
Apart from the grumpy old men the staff were great and great with kids, special mention goes to the Maitre d’ Rui, Hector, Maria and the young girls that poured the excellent house white so attentively.
Size of pool and the lovely gardens.
Beautiful reception and balcony bar.
Size of accommodation.
Overall cleanliness.
Quality of food at breakfast and dinner (we were half board).

The resort its self was fine with the usual shops and a lot of Irish bars. I hired a car and drove about the Algarve while the missus bathed in the sun, the Algarve has a lot of beautiful and interesting areas well worth exploring.

Now to the conflicting reviews, one side of this hotel faces the most spectacular sea view while the other sides have the most boring views, if you don’t get a sea view it’s bad news and the hotel is going to feel very very ordinary rather than very very special.

So my advice would be that if you can’t be guaranteed a seaview think twice about booking. Try for the fourth floor and if possible 408.

Comments