Casa da Ria

Tavira - PortugalTavira - Portugal

Pego do InfernoPego do Inferno

accomodation location?

by Aiphos

Hi, We are a family with a 15 months old child planning to visit Tavira September 5-22.
I am writing to ask for some advice/help with choosing accomodation in Tavira. What we are looking for is preferably accomodation with kitchen so that we could sometimes cook (for our child) so it cannot be a hotel room. The second wish is that it should be located so that is easy to get to the beach - but we would like to stay in Tavira itself and not in a resort outside of the town. I understand there is a boat leaving direct from Tavira to beach in high season?, and also from Quarto Aguas - so ideally the accomodation would be close to centre and to ferry -or perhaps somewhere in between. Is there something within walking distance? Of course a nice area is also a wish.
Its difficult to find this out when you don't know the area... Oh, and the price.. We cannot afford topend, we have to go for budget or modest midrange.
Grateful for any info/advice!
Kind regards

Re: accomodation location?

by cubsur

I am not 100% sure but the ferry to the island and the beach may not operate in September. I have never seen any information posted about it either at the place of departure or anywhere else and its very workings seem a mystery.

(The boat leaves from the quayside just to the south of the old fish market.)

Yes the Tavira beach is on an island. The other ferry does leave from Quatras Aguas, but there is nothing really there apart from a couple of bars and a big car park. There is no way to get there in September other than a taxi or walk a mile or so, as the bus only runs in July and August.

Renting apartments in Tavira is not my strong point, especially as the websites give only the vaguest information about exact locations.

Try putting 'tavira apartment rental' into Google as I just did and the first two items are for Tarifa in Spain!! The next few are all 5 and 6 person mansions so to get somewhere suitable for more modest needs is going to take some digging or a special person to come along who knows just the right answer.

Good luck.

Re: accomodation location?

by myriam_c

For future reference: we rented from a private owner through http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk

Travel Tips for Tavira

Tavira was no disappointment,...

by Ruthy2001

Tavira was no disappointment, we were a bit wary of visiting the Algarve, famed for being a 'British' holiday resort so after asking our Portugese friends where was best to go we arrived in the historical wee town.

The beach was a boat ride away which was very satisfying and when we arrived on the island it was packed with tourists but very few Brits in sight which was a relief. You could sit on the firth which was prettier but the water looked a wee bit grotty what with all the boats arriving. Instead we headed through the island following the crowds by the campsite (I woudl definately stay there next time) and a few bars to reach the other side.

There it was. The Atlantic Ocean, the very same one that we can see from our wee town of Dumfries. There was the accompanying gale blowing and I felt at home. I forced myself in for a swim but it was very cold! the beach was huge, plenty of space for everyone, there was even a football game being played in bleachers at the other end but we were able to relax and people watch.

El Passeío Público

by Carmela71

As most of the Spanish cities, they have their own ”paseo” where all locals go for walk and chatting. This one is parallel to the river with beautiful gardens that finish at the market, but you can still walk a little more to have a look at the boats that have already arrived with the fish or sea food.

3 kings hat

by Carmela71

It was the 6th December that in Spain in bank holiday as the 3 wise kings bring the presents to the kids. As a catholic country they still may do celebrations, but it was a working day (I guess Santa Claus or father Christmas are more popular there).

This group of Children were visiting the local spots as the castle and churches with the teachers, a nice brunch, that behave very well!

I wonder if any Portuguese could tell me if this tradition of the hats is normal…

The beach (2)

by dabuwan

The beaches east of Tavira are ideal for walking and looking for shells, but not so good for swimming. They can be a bit muddy sometimes and the sea temperature is not so inviting... but the sun is pleasantly warm.

Running in the Streets of Tavira

by Waalewiener

i definitely think this is a must see activity, I'll
do just about anything to shed a few pounds, but seriously this City Tavira is a special place it is really so nice and pieceful and it has so many lovely streets and the streets are sometimes very up and down, as you can see in the picture.

Comments