Pousada de Sao Bento

E.N. 304 Soergas Canicada, Canicada, Braga, Northern Portugal, 4850-047, Portugal
Pousada do Geres - Canicada Charming Hotel
Booking.com Travelocity Expedia.com

Costs 21% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Pousada de Sao Bento

Parque Nacional da Peneda-Geres

by RENE_CARDOEN

Picture taken in Roucas. This little village is built on terraces in the middle of the parque Nacional da Peneda-Geres. The old town centre consists of narrow streets, granite houses and [espiguieros] – See Must See Activity 04.
The Peneda-Geres park is Portugal’s only national park and covers about 72,000 ha in the northern part of Portugal. It was designed to protect its natural sites, but unfortunately the park has a considerable population living in small villages.

peneda-geres national park

by quartinb

__________________________________________________

Peneda Geres National Park Recognised by the International Union for Nature Conservation because of the variety of the landscape, plant and animal species, habitat and cultural heritage. A mountainous area (Gerês, Soajo and Amarela). The park lies across three administrative districts and 5 municipalities. a northern portugal region if yu 're fond of rest and breathtaking landscapes.
____________________________________________

Geres

by RENE_CARDOEN

This nice little spa lies at the bottom of a narrow valley. Its sources, rich in minerals and fluorine are used in treatment of general digestive disorders. Mostly older people do swear by this kind of treatment and drink regularly a glass of healing water.

More than Lisbon and Algarve...

by SonOfLusus

Practically all of Portugal (excluding Lisbon and Algarve) is off the beaten path. While Lisbon and Algarve are excellent places to visit, visitors should take some time to visit the provinces of Minho and Alentejo for example. In Minho are some of the country's most beautiful towns like Guimaraes, Braga, and Viano do Castelo. You can also visit one of Europe's largest markets in Barcelos or relax in postcard-perfect scenery in Ponte de Lima or Ponte da Barca. In Alentejo you'll come across old castles and picturesque towns. Besides must-see Evora, don't miss places like Marvao or the marble town of Vila Vicosa. Back to the north, if you have more time, don't miss the Geres National Park, where nature has been left untouched. The same can be said about the nine islands of Azores, with spectacular scenery like that of the Pico volcano.

Visiting my niece in Portugal

by Alain_Smeets

Well I want to give you an impression of my visit to Portugal. If my niece wasn’t studying in Viana Do Castello, I think I never visited Portugal and when I think about that now, I’m glad I was here. I liked the north and especially Guimaraes and Penada-Geres.

After arriving at the airport, we picked up our rental-car and drove to Barcelos where the biggest market of Portugal was taken place. We walked around and looked at the ruins of the castle. We had warm sunny weather, more then 25 degrees. After that we went to Brago to have a small tosti and a drink. While we where sitting there, in our T-shirts, the Portuguese where walking their in their coats and thick sweaters. I can imagine that for them it’s not that hot compared to the summer. But for us it was summer weather. The next stop was the Bom Jesus and we climbed all the 609 stairs to go to the cathedral. It’s a very good place to see and on the terrace you have a good view over Braga. We spend the night in Guimaraes.

I like Guimaraes, a historic city with his castle and palace and the old buildings and a good terrace at the Cathedral on the market square. Also the Citania de Briteiros is nice to visit. It gives you a good impression of the life of the people 2000 years ago. I didn’t know that they already had so big settlements then. When we arrived later in Viana Do Castello, we rushed back to Porto to go to the Hart club to see Millionaire, a Belgian band playing their as the act before Muse. We managed to get in for free (no 18 euros entrance fee). We managed to get on the guest list of Millionaire because my friend knows the drummer. After the gig, we had a talk with the band (got free drinks from them) and went into the dressing room with a lot of Portuguese (men and women who went for an autograph), but we only went to the fridge, got a half litre of Guinness and enjoyed it. At 2h30 we went into the city to search a hotel.

The Saturday, we visited Porto, got another friend on the airport and beached in Viana. And on Sunday we went to Penada-Geres, I like this national Park because I like nature much more then cities. We went to Ermida, a small village, my friends went for a swim in the waterfalls, but I found it to could. We spend the whole day in the area and this is for me the best part of the trip next to Guimaraes.

Monday we drove next to the ocean (as much as possible) back to Porto to go to Calem to taste some port and we saw some other places in Porto. It was very nice to eat at the Cais da Ribeira in a nice surrounding. And to bad that we had to go back on Tuesday.

Portugal is a very nice county, with a lot of picturesque places, sometimes if feels like the time stood still in those small villages where you barely can cross another car. I’m glad I went to see my niece and when I have the time next to the longer travels that I want to make, I will go back to Portugal.

GeresGeres

GeresGeres

Pousada in GeresPousada in Geres

Geres National ParkGeres National Park

top cities minho and douro

by lclaudio

Hi...unfortunatelly, i had no replies on my previous question about the title above...But once i really need informations about the cities there i'll try again...thank's in advance

I'll be in Portugal early may, and i'm gonna start my trip in north of the country. So, besides the top cityes(POrto, Braga and Guimarães), wich places or cityes i should not miss in MINHO and DOURO-TRAS DOS MONTES(INTERROGATION)

LUIZ CLAUDIO RIO DE JANEIRO BRASIL

by a2lopes

take a look at this answer--it may help you also

wait maybe 1 more day and I will tell you ti see my tips about Portuguese wine with other info about some places on the north

Cheers

by lclaudio

thank's a lot antonio, good see you again

by colares

Hi,

if you rent are car, do a trip from Braga to the north to Barca d'Alva, then east to Lindoso, further into Spain and back into Portugal via Geres back to Braga. In case you can/want to afford it, stay in the Pousada de Sao Bento next to Geres. It is one of the best situated Pousadas in Portugal with wonderful views.

In any case, take a trip by train alonside the Douro up to Pocinho; best from Régua. By car nearly undoable.

Enjoy the Vinho Verde and the trip.

by a2lopes

Peneda is truly a "sanctuary" both in religious and "green" terms
Strongly recommend to include Soajo -but you need time as they are both in the "middle of nowhere".
My last stay was last year -40euro double room in the guesthouse.
but is really "off the road"

thank's again all replies

luiz claudio

wilderness

by a9blue

I am looking to find a wilderness to explore anywhere in Europe.Does anyone know of one?

by iris2002

Hi

North Portugal is THE place if you are looking for remote Nature Parks and wilderness and NO or little tourism...

If you look up Google: Serra de Geres Naturepark and the region in Portugal called Minho, you will find lots.

We went trekking their last year in September and were the only tourists in the wilderness, a bit of an offroad adventure but it was fab.

Iris

by hundwalder

Northern Finland, Sweden, or Norway. Take your pick but dress warm.

by qaminari

http://www.panparks.org/Network/OurParks covers wilderness areas in Poland, Sweden, Finland, Italy, Bulgaria, Romania, etc. or you could consider one of the national parks in Croatia: http://www.find-croatia.com/national-parks-croatia.html

by 68maciek

I will start with most obvious (hahahaha) in Europe. So from Twelve pins through Beskid Niski to Gorgany.Or from Kurzeme seaside through Chocske Verchy to Pirin (because I wasn't further north-not true in fact- or south). Thousands of them here.

by crazyman2

Hi!

Yes, I'd go along with the northern Scandenavia suggestions ----but I'd also suggest Highlands of Scotland and the many islands (e.g. Shetlands, Orkneys)off of the coast. Not only is there plenty of Wildnerness to be found in Scotland, it's beautiful wilderness too!

Try VT Scotland pages.

Have fun!

Stephen crazyman2

by SOLODANCER

I second Iris' suggestion of Portugal's north. It's fantastic preserve of almost untouched wilderness.

by iris2002

Thanks Solodancer (thumbs up)- I was surprised indeed to find such a remote location in one of Europes top holiday destination... :)

Safe travels