Just say you are related to Antonio Lopes ;) ...
a spot of history
The seat of the county, Póvoa de Lanhoso, is dominated by its castle, rising on top of a hill and where queen Teresa, mother of the first king of Portugal, Afonso Henriques, lived for long periods and where it is said he emprisoned her after the Battle of São Mamede (1128), fought to win control of the county of Portucale.
Although the castle was much altered over the ages, its fine walls and turrets are worth admiring, as well as the views it offers over the boulders and wooded slopes of the mountains of Gerês and Cabreira and the beautiful valleys of the rivers Ave and Cávado.
At about three kilometres (two miles) from the town, it is also worth visiting the Romanesque church of Fonte Arcada, dating from the 12th century.
To the south of the county, the Sanctuary of the Lady of Porta de Ave, at Taíde, dates from the 18th century and was built with money sent by local emigrants in Brazil. Besides the octagonal church, the sanctuary exhibits a stairway climbing up the slope with chapels featuring figures and scenes from the life of Christ. Although it no longer attracts a large number of pilgrims, the sanctuary, surrouded by great oaks, chestnut-trees and cork-oaks, is an extremely pleasant site.
In terms of gastronomy, visitors to Póvoa de Lanhoso will find a delicious roast, excellent veal and the typical maize bread of Northern Portugal.
(by Isabel Joyce)