CS Madeira Atlantic Resort & Sea SPA Funchal

Estrada Monumental 175-177, (formerly Crowne Plaza Madeira), Funchal, Madeira, 9000-100, Portugal
Vidamar Resort Madeira
Travelocity Expedia.com HotelTravel.com

Costs 84% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about CS Madeira Atlantic Resort & Sea SPA Funchal

The best

by TripAdvisor Member Chasse13

My partner and I stayed here for a week in late October/early November. The hotel and its staff just can't be praised highly enough. We arrived at around 10.30pm on a Saturday night and when the receptionist noticed that it was my partner's birthday (from her passport), she wished her happy birthday. Nice touch we thought. We then went to our room, started unpacking (but not before opening the complimentary bottle of Madeira wine and honey cake we found waiting for us). About 10 minutes later there was a knock at the door. On opening the door I was staggered to see a waitress enter with a trolley, on which sat an ice bucket, 2 glasses, a bottle of champagne and a chocolate cake with Happy Birthday written on it! Remember this was 11pm on a Saturday night and was done with no notice whatsoever.

I hope this indicates the standard of service we received during our stay at the hotel. If I were to struggle to find fault with the hotel/staff (and it is a struggle), I would say that the sofa in the room could have been more comfortable; the receptionist could have switched on the tennis court lights a bit earlier during our evening games (really struggling here ...).

Forget Reid's Palace and all the others. Crowne Plaza is the one to choose.

Lives upto its 5 Stars

by TripAdvisor Member stuarts123

My wife and I stayed here Dec 4th to 18th.The hotel is 20 minuits from the airport.It is a very modern hotel.We were first impressed by the staff who were all very pleasant and helpful.Our cases were taked off us at the reception, the next time we saw them they were in our room.The rooms are excellant very spacious,with excellant sea views.Breakfast was something else,you can put on a serious amount of weight here.The hotel has an indoor pool and gym.There is also a hairdressers.The outdoor pool was clean but cold,this is accessed by either stairs or a lift.at the poolside is a bar where you could also get meals.We were bed and breakfast so I cannot comment on the evening meals,but eating out in Funchal is very reasonable.If you are not a big eater DO NOT HAVE A STARTER!Also we had the mixed fish on one occasion---at home this would easily have done 4 people.The hotel is about half an hour at tourist pace from the Marina in Funchal.Criticisms!few.The cocktail bar was like sitting in a school gymnasium,and I thought the cocktails were a little expensive.All in all a very good hotel which lives upto its 5 stars.

Second visit, just as good...

by TripAdvisor Member SilverDoc75

It's not often we stay at a resort more than once. itchy feet syndrome. However, this January we spent a second week at the Crowne Plaza, having stayed there last year at the same time. This is a high quality hotel that lives up to the standards expected of the Crowne Plaza brand. Food's not bad either, indeed we found the a la carte in the Wild Orchid restaurant at the Crowne Plaza every bit as good as the Reid's Palace restaurant we went to for our last night, though much cheaper. The staff are friendly and helpful and fluent in several languages and can make you an excellent and very dry Martini...

Our room was on the 10th floor with a magnificent view over the Atlantic, even got a bottle of Madeiran wine and some honey cake as a welcome. Nice touch. Definitely a hotel to recommend and I'm happy to say that the standards have remained as high on both our visits.

A fine, modern hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Elaine Holmes

The minimalist architecture and decor of the hotel's interior takes some getting used to - my husband, an artist, loved it immediately. It's certainly different. The staff are a major strength in this hotel - they know it is important for guests to feel relaxed and at home, and they achieve that in a friendly and very professional manner. Nothing is too much trouble. The hotel has a good chef. We booked on a half board basis, intending to use our allowance at lunch times and to visit some good restaurants in the evenings. However the food was so good that we dined in the hotel most evenings, and found some good local seafood restaurants for lunchtimes (the Mar Azul at the yacht harbour was particularly good). The only evening I would not "dine in" again would be the "Madeira Cuisine Buffet". As to amenities, I agree with the previous reviewer about the indoor pool, the area is gloomy with a low ceiling and not very welcoming, but the water is good and warm (important in February - when not all days are suitable for outdoor swimming), and there are saunas, jacuzzi and cold plunge pool which are very well kept. In the health and beauty area there is also a Thalassotherapy Pool which can be used for 10 euros a time - which is a very good deal. The two outside infinity pools and recreation area are great, as is the poolside restaurant and bar which serves snacks and full menu - all carefully cooked - in short, poolside service is great and the staff look after guests very well. Criticisms? Minimalist furniture tends to be a little "hard edged" and not built for comfort - but this does not apply to the furniture in the rooms or the poolside which were fine. All in all we thought this was a very good hotel and we would return.

A Little disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member TheSweeney

February 27th - 6th March. Just returned from the Crowne Plaze in Madeira.
Having read the reviews before going/booking, I have to say that I was a little disappointed. The Crowne Plazas in the UK are of the same minimilistic decor, the front reception staff were very nice and the room - although on the garden level with a sea view too, was a little gloomy.
We stayed B/B and found the breakfasts to be the same every day. You can have eggs freshly cooked but the rest is the same every day. The food is of a very poor quality for a 5* hotel!
There has been a problem with the 'water' they say. There were around 20-30 people with quite a bad tummy upset the week we were there, the hotel said that they had had the water analysed and eventually on the Sunday, they gave us all a note to say that we were not to drink the tap water. I dont believe that any visitors from the UK would risk drinking tap water, so I think the fault lay elsewhere and they covered it by saying it was the ice cubes that were brought in from another source!!
I found the bar and waiting staff sullen and not at all helpful. The pool areas are very good, clean and well staffed, but dangerous for small children.
The pluses for Madeira are many,it is a beautiful Island, clean and very picturesque. We ate out every evening, there are an abundance of restaurants a short stroll away. Take your walking shoes and warm jackets for the evening, it is still very chilly and changeable. Funchal is a nice town and is worth a visit, walking will take you about 30-40 minutes there is a harbour and lots of water side cafes and restaurants. We went on the cable car and did the gardens,also Nuns Valley is a good couple of hours out. A taxi will cost you €50. Lots of buses and very cheap and very often so no excuse to stay in.
I wouldn't go back to the Crowne Plaza, the Cliff Bay is a much better hotel.

Almost 5*, but not quite

by TripAdvisor Member Saggitarius_Alpha

This is beautifully designed modern five-star hotel, in its own grounds right on the sea front. Every room has a sea view, most look directly out. The rooms are spacious - about 4m x 6m. Ours had a king size (2m x 2m) double bed, sofa, armchair, coffee table, TV on a cabinet and a desk yet it wasn't crowded. Maid service is faultless.

Breakfast suits every taste, from fry-ups to healthy. Couldn't fault it.

The formal dining room for dinner may have been excellent but we didn't try it. The buffet dinner was disappointing, very average. Too many dishes had bits of ham in, which rules out vegetarian, kosher and halal. After ruling out the overtly meat dishes, there wasn't a lot left. If this problem is fixed, it will deserve its five stars.

Disappointed, not 5-star

by TripAdvisor Member A_Loiner

My wife and I stayed during the "Tummy troubles" and found the staff did all the correct investigations to sort it. However the food quality went down rapidly, and we did not get 5-star food during the rest of our week stay. We thought the minimalist design lacked comfort in the public areas, and the impressive high atrium acted as a sound trap making bedrooms very noisy. The gardens had no furniture to enjoy them, and the sundeck/pool area was windswept and bleak. The indoor pool is gloomy but with good facilities. The staff were quite helpful. In our opinion more a business than a relaxing holiday hotel.

It was stark

by TripAdvisor Member LondonMichele

The hotel is indeed beautiful. It felt like living in an art gallery. Breakfast was superb, we didn't venture into the restuarants at night apart from the irish pub which serves excellent food and has great staff. The hotel staff are helpful but the hotel atmosphere is nil. The evening entertainment is nothing short of appalling. The pool area is beautiful but the water is kept cold lest you spoil the symetry by swimming. The pool restaurant is dull. I wouldn't stay here again but glad I did. Madeira has just got to learn to chill out and stop being so formal.

Lovely Hotel, but great restaurants nearby

by TripAdvisor Member TudorDoc

I stayed in this hotel with my two teenagers and my 82 year old father. The rooms were huge and comfortable. I really have no complaints at all about the hotel and happily recommend it. Breakfast was good. I would not bother with evening meals here, as there are excellent restaurants withing walking distance.

On our last day we had lunch at a restaurant called The Brasserie in the Lido area. We were the only people in the place. What a shame. The meal was just fantastic. I would love to go back to Madeira if only to eat at the Brasserie again. It is on the Promenade do Lido Broadwalk at the base of the Hotel Tivoli and worth seeking out.

Totally Charmless

by TripAdvisor Member yoga123

Totally disappointing and completely charmless. This was my tenth visit to Madeira over the years and have always stayed at Pestana Carlton. Fancied a change and took a chance on a different location and was very very disappointed. The architecture of the actual hotel is ok but the interior decor is cold and functional. We are a young couple definitely not adverse to modern decor but if you are looking for real contemporary style try out Choupana Hills Hotel about 20 mins from Funchal, we chose to dine there one evening and its beautiful. Crowne Plaza seems to have forgotten its leisure guests and to be targetting the business/conference market. There were two large conferences during our two week stay, so if your idea of a relaxing holiday is sharing your breakfast with 100's of business travellers in a grim restaurant you will be pleased. If not the service, selection and ambience in the main restaurant equalled Charnock Richard Service station off the M6. No clean tables, canned fruit, cold food, cold tea/coffee and ironically cold 'hot' choclate, miserable staff overstrectched by the number of guests and hordes of screaming kids, who also seemed to be let lose in the evenings. My husband was woken on several occassions as our room was situated over the reception area. It also seemed to be a trap for the cigerette smokers in the bar, as we slept in bed passive smoking. Not sure if we were in a different hotel to other reviewers but we had no welcome cake/Madeira wine to greet us in the room, only one bathrobe and slippers - this turned into 'Bathrobegate' as each time we requested a second robe, the cleaner would remove it from the room! The pool area is depressing, no flowers, trees, greenery, benches etc, just a vast concrete jungle, the poolside bar wasnt any better, poor quality/presentation, only 2 bbq's in our twoweek stay, no-one to take orders around the pool, 45 minute wait on occassion for a limp tuna sandwich costing 9 Euros. To finish off our dismal view of the hotel upon checking out I was presented for a bill charging me a second time for the accomodation which had already been paid the week before we arrived - so watch out! Madeira is charming and we will always return - but either to Pestana Carlton or Choupana.

Comments