Monsanto Hotels

Our Members Say

• Martin_S. profile photo Martin_S.
  • Reviews: 2645

Taverna Lusitana: Taverna Lusitana, friendly with a view

Did not stay at the Taverna Lusitana, only learned of its existence when we visited and stopped for a lunch/refreshment break at their restaurant after touring the town. If the friendliness of Joao and Helena (the owners) is any indication, then your stay there should be fantastic.

The Taverna Lusitana is located near the top of the town, and is quite a climb. When I asked Joao how people got their luggage up there, he told me they have to haul it up....Then I remembered a trip we made to Santorini in Greece where you would have a donkey to ride from the harbor to the town, a height difference of several hundred meters, so I asked Joao why he did not have a donkey "taxi" and his reply was "I just could not bring myself to make the donkey work so hard!!"...I think a stay here would be fun.
And DON'T forget the VIEW.

• Related to: Hiking and Walking, Food and Dining
  • Written June 22, 2011

Zohara, Taverna Lusitana, Monsanto, Portugal

• Jeanlyon profile photo Jeanlyon
  • Reviews: 142

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Pousada de Estalgem: Monsanto

Well, it could have been good. The first room we were given, the bed was actually wet! We were moved to another room and the airconditioning didn't work hardly at all. Also although their website says there is a restaurant, it was closed.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Written June 17, 2010

• easyoar profile photo easyoar
  • Reviews: 1261

Pousada, Monsanto: Monsanto's Pousada

Whilst we didn't stay here, we went inside for a drink, and found it very pleasant and very friendly inside.

The bar was quite a big room and the only dificulty we had was in finding somone to pay once we had had our drinks!

The building is a big old place with impressive architecture inside. I am sure the rooms would be of a high quality too. The picture here is the official Pousada picture as I couldn't find one of my own.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Architecture, Road Trip, Historical Travel
  • Written December 26, 2004

Monsanto's Pousada

• Bwana_Brown profile photo Bwana_Brown
  • Reviews: 3530

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Best Western Hotel Rainha D. Amelia: Let's Spoil Ourselves a Bit!

About a month before we left for Lisbon, I had tried to book a Residencial in Castelo Branco by phone, but was told that they were already full. After that, I decided to play it safe and simply booked a room at the Best Western, figuring that we may need to pamper ourselves a bit by then. Castelo Branco is a mid-sized city, and we did have some trouble locating the hotel when we finally reached the city after a long day of driving and sightseeing, starting in Evora. However, everything went very smoothly once we had checked in!

It was great to have free underground parking because the street in front of the hotel was fairly busy. Also, this was the only accommodation on our trip where we had a mini-bar in the room - I simply had to have a cold SuperBock beer after the long drive north! It was very reasonably priced at E1.30 compared to some of the mini-bars that I have seen in North America!

In the hallway beside the elevators, we found a shoe-shine device that would apply polish and then give it a good brushing to bring the shine out - my shoes really needed it!

We also enjoyed our 4th floor balcony overlooking the street. In the evening, it was very pleasant to sit outside and recount our days activities as we sipped on our wine!

Only a block or two away from the hotel was a supermarket, making it very handy to pick up supplies in the morning for our drive further north toward Monsanto. I was also quite impressed by the orange trees, bearing fruit, that Castelo Branco used for sidewalk greenery! I had never seen that before and now wish that I had stopped to take a photo! Imagine walking along and plucking an orange off!

As far as their meal service is concerned, see my Restaurant tip!

Our room rate was not unreasonable at E74.50 taxes included (US$95).

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Family Travel, Road Trip
  • Written June 23, 2004

Hotel Rainha D'Amelia

• Bwana_Brown profile photo Bwana_Brown
  • Reviews: 3530

Blending with the rocks: A Local Touch

Although there is a 10-room Pousada in Monsanto, we were only in the village for a few hours to have a look around. Our tourist guide book on Monsanto actually featured this view of this particular house, sandwiched between two giant granite boulders, so we had to try our own luck with a photo! However, I very much doubt that the occupants were up to taking in a couple of wandering tourists for the night.

• Related to: Family Travel, Road Trip
  • Written June 15, 2004

Often-Photographed House

• TinKan profile photo TinKan
  • Reviews: 935
One room villa, great view: For rent

FOR RENT
One room villa with great view of the valley.
Must see to appericate. ha-ha

There really are places like that that you can stay in. Ask around the town when you get there and some one will find a place for you.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Family Travel, Backpacking