Astoria Hotel Coimbra

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• ELear's Profile Photo

Loved it. Great fun.

It’s in an ideal position (I had a room overlooking the trees and the road to the river about a hundred yards away), the staff are decent and efficient, my room was snug (it was cold outside – this was in late November) and breakfast was good (the restaurant was closed so I had dinner out – no problem – the Serenata, for instance, is very near), but what I’ll always remember about the Astoria is its amazing 1920’s fittings, especially those levers on the radiators and that LIFT with a fold-down wooden seat! A fabulous place. I mean to go back to Coimbra and if I do I'll stay there again.

Unique Quality: Twenties elegance!

Directions: Overlooking the river

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo

Grand old place

The Astoria Hotel is a grand old place with Art Deco lounges, a view of the river in front and an elevator that covers its 4 floors and has a bench to sit in while you ride. The room we were in looked dated, but in an appealing way as it was spacious and clean. The hotel also has a nice restaurant (see my restaurant tips) where a nice complimentary breakfast buffet is served. The staff was very pleasant and helpful and all spoke English. All this for about $82 per night for a double room. I thought it quite a bargain.

Unique Quality: The bar/lounge is a bright and comfortable room off the lobby where you can just relax and/or have a drink. The reception area has the classic look of the old hotel and is comfortably furnished with tables and chairs. I am pretty sure this area is WIFI as they had a laptop there which was available for guests and I saw no cables and know it was not dial-up. The hotel has no parking but I think there is a covered garage nearby. I parked in the public lot across the street and found it to be reasonable.

The hotel sits right on the river just a few meters from where you cross the Santa Clara bridge. We had a room overlooking the river and the street but found no noise problem. The location is very central and convenient, a very short walk (less than 3 minutes) to the TI, the Largo de Portagem and the pedestrian walk up Rua Ferreira Borges, and train station A also called Estacoa Nova.

• joebarcas's Profile Photo

It left us speechless

Ask for a room overlooking the river. Our rooms were on the top floor, overlooking the Rio Mondego. The views were spectacular! If you show your Rick Steves guidebook on check-in, you get a 10% discount. I will stay there again on my next trip.

Unique Quality: Nice restraunt.

Directions: On the Rio Mondego

• littlebush's Profile Photo

Sharing with the BBC

I stayed at the Astoria hotel right near the train station. Its an old hotel with 80 odd rooms. The rooms are en-suite costing 119euros for a double or twin, or 140 euros for the suite which has a sofa bed and 2 twins. Rooms also have a tv and a buffet breakfast is included. Theres a make shift bar which says open late. The staff are friendly but not very good! when we were there, the BBC five live radio crew were staying there! Its a 3 star hotel right on the river with nice view across the river and the city.

Comments