Sweet Atlantic Hotel and Spa

Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Coimbra

The entranceThe entrance

practising rowing in Coimbra.practising rowing in Coimbra.

Igreja de S. Bartolomeu (Coimbra, Portugal)Igreja de S. Bartolomeu (Coimbra, Portugal)

Universidad de Coimbra (Portugal)Universidad de Coimbra (Portugal)

Buses from Porto to Coimbra

by Blutirohl

I am travelling in to Porto airport from Birmingham this friday - my flight arrives at 20-10. Ideally I would like to get to Coimbra that same evening - is this possible by public transport?

by heliopinto

Rede Expressos has a daily bus at 0045, that arrives in Coimbra at 02:10.

For more information: www.rede-expressos.pt

The bus station in Porto is at
GARAGEM ATLANTICO
RUA ALEXANDRE HERCULANO Nº366

Greetings,
Hélio

by Redang

You can aslo go by Train frpm Staçao de Campanha: www.cp.pt (portuguese train network), but take into account that there are two railway stations in Coimbra; you can have a look at my page

by cubsur

Unfortunately the last fast train from Porto to Coimbra is at 2047.

The next one (a slow one)is at 0123.

So it does look like the bus. You won't make the 2100, as the airport is 35 minutes or so from the city centre and the next one is at 0045 as said above, which gets to Coimbra at 0210.

I would stay the night in Porto and take an early bus or train the next day. Or hire a car, expensive but you would be in Coimbra before midnight.

Travel Tips for Coimbra

Student Graffiti

by arasnosliw

Walking through the University of Coimbra campus, you will encounter typical "student graffiti." I've noticed this at any Portuguese campus, and I find the petty crime rather entertaining. These graffiti works are far from pleasant looking; they are not the aesthetically pleasing works that one would hope. This student graffiti always has themes of revolution (against the institution and society), of racism, of lies, of yearnings for reform. Although sometimes a bit tactless, I find them interesting to read.

Interesting architecture

by acemj

There are plenty of unique buildings in Coimbra. You'll see some historic buildings such as those at the university as well as some beautiful azulejos, lovely churches and even some modern buildings to add another texture to this interesting town.

Praxe

by evilprebil

One of the most interesting traditions in Portugal is Praxa, which is basically the traditional hazing of freshman in the universities by the older students. Widely spread throughout Portugal, it was highly evident in the town that housed the oldest university (700 years).
We saw lots of silly things (such as a sort of elephant chain of 30 freshman walking in the middle of campus) and heard lots of singing which I am sure would have been hilarious if our knowledge of the language had allowed us to understand.
As with any other tradition, there are of course people who take things to far, but it seemed to be more or less enjoyed by all. Very interesting to see. This was the end of September so I imagine thats the best time to experience it.

Also, there is Quiema das Fitas (burning of the ribbons) at theend of the school year.

Bring plenty of film

by acemj

This was my first trip with my new digital camera. I was resistant to the idea of purchasing a digital (I guess I'm a bit of a purist), but after using it on this trip, I'm a convert! I have a Nikon Coolpix 2500, which is just a basic 2 megapixel camera that is all I need for web page building. It's also small enough to put in my pocket which comes in handy when it rains. I carry my SLR in a backpack and every time it rained I had to pack it back up, but with the digital, it's easy to just slip it into the pocket of my raincoat and move on.
I still love my SLR, but I highly recommend a digital as well!

Sa da Bandeira avenue

by solopes

This avenue connecting the commercial "baixa" with the academic "alta" has no significant detail (well... Avenue Cinema is a classical...), but, maybe because of its importance in moving around, has been embellished with some modern tiles. Nice, but... pastiche.

Don't read anymore, please, but I can't resist to tell a true story lived in Avenida cinema:

In the "bad old days" of dictatorship, before passing the movie all cinemas presented a journal (in Portuguese "jornal", also meaning newspaper) with government's propaganda. One day... a big surprise - no "jornal".

A student in the auditorium shouted immediately:

- Hey guys, the "jornal" is over.

Another one answered immediately from the balcony:

- That happens... clean with your hand!

See? I told you not to read!

Comments