Albergaria Valbom

See Amenities
pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

VT's makeshift Headquarters

by written on October 12, 2009

During the Euromeet2009 many participating members stayed here. I dropped in at least once a day, to see if somebody was around. In the front was a comunity room with television that was heavily used by many members. Also the Internet, stashed away in a kind of closet next to the reception was very popular. Although it's a small hotel, there is an elevator.

There are 40 room spread over 4 stories.

Directions: From the station main exit cross the roundabout and proceed into Av. Valbom. The Hotel is at the lefthand side.

marielexoteria's Profile Photo

where most of us stayed at

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 25, 2009

I chose Albergaria Valbom because of the great deal António and Teresa got for us: 30 euros per day including breakfast and taxes for a single room.

Albergaria Valbom is located very close to the main square in Cascais and from the train station. The room I got was simple but it had everything I needed: a bed, en-suite bathroom, a chair and a desk, a window overlooking the neighborhood and free internet for me to use for checking in on my flights and checking my e-mails, as I was expecting something important. One day I saw a few cats getting warm in the sun :) Not having the best view had the perks of not getting any noise from traffic, and I definitely didn't hear any noise down the corridor.

This is the place that most of us attendees chose to stay at, so we already started "partying" from breakfast.

Directions: About 500m from the train station, look for the McDonald's and follow that street.

Martin_S.'s Profile Photo

VT's Best, or the Best for VT !!

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 13, 2009

The accomodations here were fine, clean and neat, not fancy, but for a good price of 38Euro for a double room with breakfast included (and a decent breakfast as you can see in the photo), it was a very good price.
The hotel is central to most of Cascais, only minutes from the center of town or the beaches by foot. The management there is fantastic and will help you with everything, from getting some ice to a taxi or just passing the time of day and suggesting what you might like to do.
The daytime manager Joao (not sure if that is how his name is spelled) was the biggest help and also a very friendly person who joined our VT group at the local pub (which he also manages). The last photo shows him having a drink with my daughter Tal.
If you decide to stay here, mention that you are from VT.
There is no elevator if you are staying on the first floor, so if you cannot walk up a flight of stairs, ask for the second floor.
They also have internet access, tucked away in a corner of the lobby which you can use for free.

Directions: From the train station you cross the circle drive towards McDonalds, pass McDonalds on your left side and continue down the street. Just past the Santini Ice Cream parlor you will find the Albergina Valbom on the left side of the street.

toonsarah's Profile Photo

Great value at VT "party central"

by written on June 21, 2009

If you’re looking for good-value, unpretentious accommodation right in the heart of the town, the Valbom could be for you. There are few frills (though the entrance area and lounge are rather smart for a budget hotel, and are probably the reason for its rather high rating of three stars) but you’ll get all the basics for a great price.

My room had air-conditioning (old-fashioned and clunky, but efficient), en-suite with hand-held shower (common in Portugal) and bidet, twin beds that were more comfortable than they looked and a small TV which I never put on. Space was a bit tight, and if two people stayed there you might have to negotiate who moved first, but for one person it was fine. I’d asked for a room at the back as I thought it would be quiet (it was) so I didn’t expect or get much in the way of views, but I did enjoy watching the local cats sun themselves on the roof-tops (see photos 4 and 5).

Breakfast was included in the €40 per night charge, and consisted of juice (no choice – always a sort of tropical mix), filter coffee or water for tea, yoghurt, bread (slices and rolls, with a toaster for the former) and cheese. The latter was good some mornings, plastic processed stuff on others. So, nothing special, but what do you expect for that money?

Overall I would recommend the Valbom for its good value and convenient location, especially if you're travelling on a budget.

Directions: If arriving by train, Avenida Valbom is more or less in front of the station, across the small roundabout, and the hotel is about halfway down on the left-hand side

Redang's Profile Photo

Perfect location

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 17, 2009

I, as many others, went to this accommodation thanks to the Euromeeting that took place between 29 and 31 May 2009, but thanks, above all, to the organizers of the event, so, up with them!

We got a special fare, 30,00 €, double room for single use, B&B.

Note: I forgot to take pics.

Directions: Just at a few metres from the railway station and the city centre.

- Fax: (+351) 21 486 58 05

LoriPori's Profile Photo

GREAT LOCATION

by written on June 10, 2009

Hans & I made our decision to stay at ALBERGARIA VALBOM way back in February. The price was right, as we wished to stay for two weeks and make a vacation out of it. And besides, the majority of VT attendees would be staying here.
You couldn't ask for a better location - less than a five minute walk from the train station and nearby bus station. The beach is a short walk, as is Cascais Villa shopping mall and Jumbo grocery store. We got a lovely room on the third floor, with a terrace overlooking the street. Our double room contained two twin beds pushed together, a large closet, a desk and three-piece bathroom. I do have to say that the shower was very inadequate - very low pressure and seldom hot water.
The lounge area was very nice, with a sitting area and TV.
The included breakfast was adequate - coffee, tea, orange juice, bread, rolls, ham, cheese, jams, yogurt, cereal and occasionally, a bowl of fruit usually peaches or cut up oranges.
All in all, it was an enjoyable stay.

Directions: From the train station, look for the McDondald's - that is Avenida Valbom. Walk less than five minutes and the Albergaria Valbom is number 14 Avenida Valbom.

Gillybob's Profile Photo

Location, location, location

by written on June 7, 2009

During VT's EuroMeet2009, a large number of VTers stayed at this hotel. Thanks to Antonio, Teresa, Paulo and Rosario for hosting the Meet and for arranging discounted rates at this hotel. I have posted the rack rate for this hotel below but it is worth noting that discounted rates are obtainable.

The hotel is listed as a 3 star but I would say it is a good 2 star hotel. Amenities are few but I was not looking for somewhere to live, simply somewhere to rest my head at night. My single room comprised twin beds, bathroom (with soap provided), wardrobe, dressing table and comfortable chair. A small balcony led off the bedroom but not large enough to take a chair. My room was directly over the front entrance on the first floor and I found that it could be noisy from around 9:00am as this was the time that the cafe opposite opened.

Rate included breakfast which included a choice of two cereals, bread, cheese, meat, butter, jam, fruit juice, tea and coffee.

What really makes for this hotel is its location, within easy walking distance of the train station, bus station, Cascais Villa Shopping Centre and Cascais centre, this is in an ideal location for exploring Cascais and for accessing Lisbon and its surrounding towns via train.

I would have been disappointed with the hotel if I had been paying rack rate.

Unique Quality: This hotel was my choice simply because a lot of VTers were staying here during EuroMeet2009 - it meant that there was always someone to share breakfast with and to be able to sit and chat and catch up with all their travels in the hotel lounge (where there is also a TV as rooms are not provided with televisions).

Directions: If arriving by train, head out of the station and look across the roundabout for the McDonalds. Keep McDonalds on your left and head down the road (Avenida Valbom), the hotel is about two-thirds of the way down on the left.

Nearby Albergaria Valbom

View Professional Photos

Amenities at Albergaria Valbom

• Free High Speed Internet

Cascais Travel Forum

Need advice about Cascais, Portugal? Visit the Travel Forum for Cascais and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Cascais hotel reviews