Cascais Beach Hostel

Rua da Vista Alegre 10, Cascais, Estremadura, 2750-517, Portugal

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

"Beach" Hostel

The Cascais Beach Hostel is a nice small hostel in the small street area of Cascais.

Despite the name The hostel is not situated at one of Cascais beaches, but is situated rather uphill downtown.

Prices from Euro 18.00 up to 69.00 (check the website).

Unique Quality: A pool!

Bicycle storage.

Directions: From the local Tourist Office go up at the left behind the small park, take a left and proceed uphill.

• fairy_dust's Profile Photo

Great youth hostel!

Cascais Beach Hostel is a great place if you're into budget accommodation - very clean, nice kitchen and lounge area, and even a small pool. I stayed in the 6-person dorm and on the first night, I had the whole dorm to myself so I was lucky that time! But even when other travellers showed up the next day, it wasn't cramped at all and the dorm stayed nice and tidy. There are also lockers in the room for those of us who want to keep our valuables safe, and 24-hour reception (the staff sleep on the couches right near the entrance and don't seem to mind if you wake them up at night).

Also - they always take your key every time you leave the hostel so you don't have to worry about losing the key. But that doesn't mean you get locked out - as I mentioned, the staff are there 24/7 and give you the room key as soon as you come in - just give the name of the room/dorm you're in.

Aside from the dorms, there are also private rooms available but they're more expensive.

Unique Quality: I'll admit I didn't use the kitchen, though it was nice and tidy. The pool was fun even if the water was super-cold. After the Saturday night dinner, party, and follies, some of us VTers who stayed at the Beach Hostel had a little pool party as the sun came up, and slept in till noon the next day! (yes, we were hard-core party animals!)

• suvanki's Profile Photo

A Very special place to stay!

I think that the Cascais Beach Hostel is one of the best places that I've ever stayed at!

I'd booked it a few months prior to my trip (Through HostelBookers. com), mainly because it was one of the cheapest places to stay in Cascais - it had great reviews, and had a swimming pool!

Just before I left for Portugal, I saw that this was listed in a Sunday newspaper as 1 of the Top 10 boutique hostels in Portugal.

Prior to my trip, I'd had to contact the hostel a few times, as my friend had decided to join me for the Euromeet, which meant re-booking my room. I also kept changing my original plans, and in the end decided to stay here for the duration of my stay in Portugal. I was impressed by the way that this was dealt with.

The hostel is about 5-10 minutes walk from the station. I caught a taxi. There is no sign outside - just one on the window. There are a few steps up to the door.

Catarina the owner, welcomed me and informed me that I was to stay in the double room for my first 3 nights, for the same price as the 4 bedded dorm that I'd booked! When Margaret arrived on Friday, a Z-bed was put up - (so we didn't have to share the double bed - I´d booked thinking it was a twin bedded room) I then moved into a 4 bedded en suite dorm, which Catarina decided that I was to have all to myself!!

Cascais Beach Hostel is part of the Rituals Backpackers group - with an Apartment style hostel in Lisbon (and plans for one in Granada)

There are 26 beds, double rooms on the upper floor, named after the 5 palaces in Sintra, and dorms on the ground floor, (and in a small annexe) named after the beaches of Cascais.

Dorm 21 euros (£18.39) per night
    Double room en-suite 49 Euros per room per night

The hostel is attractively decorated and furnished in a modern style, and is spotlessly clean.

Don't be misled that this hostel is near a beach though- it's nowhere near - probably 10-15 minutes walk to the town beach.

Unique Quality: This hostel has the Wow Factor! I felt like I was staying with friends! The staff (Catarina, Henrique, Sussana and 'The Smiler' (I'm sorry, I keep forgetting this handsome young mans name) are all helpful and friendly, but unobtrusive.

One member of staff covers the 24 hour reception (sleeping in the lounge), and they were still smiling and welcoming when I rolled back in at 0400 and later!

The housekeeper (Nazari?) doesn't speak any English, but we enjoyed a laugh and a 'chat'

There was a lovely relaxing feel here.

The lounge has large bright bean bags and sofas to sprawl on, in front of the TV, with DVD and play-station.
    Free internet use

One of the best stocked kitchens that I've seen - Fridge Freezer, food storage, ovens, Halogen hob, microwave, kettle, toaster, washing machine. Huge selection of crockery, cutlery and utensils - to Kitchen roll and paper napkins!

Dining area (inside and out)

Seating area in Moroccan style - complete with nargille.

Outside - lawns and decking. Small pool, sun loungers and hammock, barbecue.

There are a few grocery shops nearby (Continue uphill from the hostel,to the road running across) for basics, fresh bread and pastries etc. They appeared to close around 1800.

My favourite was the butchers shop- Talho "Bom Pastor" (he's open 'til 20.30)- the owner is so enthusiastic (and his English is very good) - I was shown how he made his kebabs, and chicken breast stuffed with chorizo. He also stocks local cheeses, plus fruit, veg and salad goods, breads (including ciabatta), beer, wine and other groceries.

In the shopping Mall opposite the station there is a supermarket, plus another-Jumbo adjacent to the Shopping Mall. I'm afraid that I never got to check these out. I didn't fancy lugging my shopping from here back up to the hostel.

Yes, I'm pleased that I stopped here, and I'd certainly recommend The Cascais Beach Hostel!!

They are on Facebook too!

Directions: From station pass Mc Donalds
    Head down Ave Valbom
    Walk by the left side of the park follow the road as it curves.
    Continue past the Post Office 'til you reach a junction.
    Head forward up Via Rua da vista alegre.
    CBH is on the R. about 1/2 way up.

• DAO's Profile Photo

NOT REMOTELY NEAR THE BEACH

I booked this place because it says – on their website – that it is a “wonderful beach house”. These people must be on some serious hallucinogenic drugs. It is in the middle of a residential area not even within eyesight of a road that is itself within eyesight of any water or beach. They do have a small pool. I will give them that. Their website even has pictures of the beach then in small print says they are “for illustrative purpose”. Bizarrely they do have a picture of the room keys on the reception wall. The only actual photo of the place. It is also very hard to find. That’s the bad news.

The good news? It’s actually very nice. It is modern, clean, bright, has excellent facilities and is quiet. The pool is great after a hot sweaty day, bedrooms are good, bathrooms are completely modern, security is 24 hours and the kitchen is amazing. There is a smoking veranda if you like sheesha and great sunlounger area for sun worshipers. You can even have a barbeque out there. They also throw in free broadband internet so you can connect to VT.

It is a popular place with VT’ers and loads stayed here for the 5th Euro Meet.

My room was called PENA, the best room in the place. I had 2 huge closets with a million drawers. It also overlooks the pool and is away from the road. All in all a good value for money choice as hotels are very expensive in Cascais.

Unique Quality:
    * Cheaper than most
    * Pool & sun beds
    * Easy walk to every bar in town
    * Can walk to the beach
    * Great facilities, especially the kitchen
    * 24 human security at the front door
    * No need to carry your key
    * No curfew
    * Pool gets interesting at night (socially)

More about Cascais Beach Hostel

Pool at Cascais Beach Hostel.Pool at Cascais Beach Hostel.

Comments