Lisbon has probably some of the best hostels in the world. More than cheap hostels are great places to find other travellers and to be in a fun and relaxed environment.
There are 2 types of youth hostels: the state hostels (normally more institutional and bigger that can be booked through www.pousadasjuventude.pt) or the private hostels (normally smaller and that are converted apartments or houses, can be booked through, for instance, www.hostelworld, www.hostelbookers.com or directly through their website. State options are normally cheaper.
Some of the most interesting options are:
- Catalazete State Youth Hostel - in the beach and next to a marina but about 30 minutes away from the city centre;
- Almada State Youth Hostel - brillant view over the town, small soccer field and gardens but a bit out of the way;
- Travellers House - In the city centre (Baixa) in a 250 year old building, music lounge, TV room, free internet, breakfast, maps...
- Rossio Plaza - In one of the main squares of the city they have large common areas with dvd's and free internet. Location is just perfect.
- Lisbon Lounge Hotel.
But there are many others: Lisbon Old Hostel, Lisbon Story Guesthouse, Alfama Patio Hostel, Albergo Odisseo, Oasis Backpacker Mansion, Goodnight Backpacker's Hostel, Black and White Lisbon Hostel...
In 2008, 800.000 people used hostelworld.com to do their bookings. With the votes of all these people this company has given their hoscars and from the top 10 world hostels, Lisbon got 4 in the list:
- Goodnight Backpackers (nr #8 in the world);
- Lisbon Lounge (nr#3 in the world, cleanest hostel in the world);
- Rossio Hostel (nr#2 in the world, most fun hostel in the world, best small hostel);
- Travellers house (nr#1 in the world, best location and best character in the world).
Prices vary between 11 and 25€/night per person in a multiple bed room.
Unique Quality: It is easy to meet new people and the place is friendly, clean, cheap and fun.
Rua do Pau de Bandeira, 4, Lisbon
Rua Rodrigo de Fonseca, 88, Lisbon
Rua Rodrigues Sampaio 17, Lisbon
Rua 10 De Dezembro 123, Lisbon
Latest Lisbon hotel reviews