Orion Eden

21 Praca Dos Restauradores, Lisbon, Estremadura, 1250-187, Portugal

• SOLODANCER's Profile Photo

Hotel with a pool.

I just actually returned from a trip to Lisbon and am not sure if depending on your travel date to there this information would still serve any purpose to you.

Try and check out the V.I.P. Hotel Eden on Praca dos Restauradores by the sprawling Avenida da Liberdade in the lower part (Baixa district) of Lisbon. It's a self-catering apartment hotel framed by a massive remnant of a neo-classical facade, it's got a medium-sized pool right atop with magnificent views of the castle and of the city. The hotel itself is just at the bottom part of hilly section as you climb up to Bairro Alto. The funicular elevator (Elevador da Gloria) is conveniently located just outside the hotel to its side which transports both locals and visitors alike up to Bairro Alto and back down. The main tourist office is also right next door housed in the elegant Palacio da Foz where you can get maps and answers to practically all your questions about Lisbon and Portugal. Happy trails.

Unique Quality: Medium-priced self-catering apartment hotel on the convenient Baixa section of Lisbon, with swimming pool upon its rooftop commanding fantastic views of the castle and the city.

Directions: Lower part of Lisbon called Baixa conveniently located right next to the main Tourist Office.

• miamilori's Profile Photo

Lisbons best location and value

The hotel was clean with great views and the lcoations is PERFECT! Metro stop is rgiht outside. Train station is a block away which takes you to Sintra and other cities. Funicular to Barrio Alto is around the corner and Main plaza is across the street.

Unique Quality: Kitchen in the rooms with fridge, stove, dishwasher!!!!

• nhcram's Profile Photo

Central location makes it ideal

We stayed here on the recommendation of my sister Mazzap and we were pleased with the choice. The room we had was a little on the small side but there was a small kitchen, a good sized bathroom and it was quiet. The hotel itself is an old theatre and the facade has been retained. It is easy to find and the airport bus stops right outside!
    We had the buffet breafast on one of the days and this was good with a good choice of cold meats, cheese, yoghurts etc.

Unique Quality: It's central location makes it the ideal place to stay.
    The roof top views are brilliant. There is a very small pool which we did not use but it is there if you want it. Staff were friendly and helpful.

• Great views, but a bit soulless

If you like your privacy, you'd probably really like this hotel: it has that formality and aloofness of a posh hotel. It has great views from the roof and a pool and you can have breakfast here. The rooms are clean and modern.

Apart from the views, though, I did feel I was staying in a battery chicken factory. There's no character to the rooms, and it didn't feel welcoming.

Unique Quality: We much preferred the Grande Pensao Alcobia.

Are there 2 hotels with similar names being reviewed here? I don't recognise the pink building in the photos above.

Directions: Almost opposite the Post Office, down one end.

• mazzap's Profile Photo

A Perfect Location

A great hotel in a near perfect location! Very reasonable rates at €60 per night for a double room. Ask for a front facing room with a good view but not right at the top as the view is then obscured by part of the facade that forms the front of the building.

Breakfast can be purchased separately for just €5 per person though we didn't have this as we had read several reviews saying it was not that great. But for the price it would be ok if you are on a budget as it was a buffet! There is a lovely rooftop terrace with a coffee bar (where breakfast is taken) & even a small pool! Compact but a lovely panoramic view from the few seats & sunbeds!

Helpful & informative staff at the front desk.

The 75 studios & 59 two bedroom apartments have fully equipped kitchenettes (including a dishwasher!) & every other conceivable appliance that you could imagine in an appartment! The vacuum cleaner was a bit shy & didn't come out of the cupboard while we stayed here ;-) Our room was clean, quiet & very comfortable. The heating worked well! Bring your cd's as there is a cd player in the room too!

Our only complaint was that the age of the rooms was just beginning to show - all the furnishings were fine but the walls are probably due for a repaint & a bathroom tidy-up soon.

Unique Quality: This impressive building was originally a theatre built in a neoclassic Art Deco style, & later used as a cinema. It was converted in 1996 to the actual Aparthotel Vip Eden for which it was awarded by the Portugese Government "The best urban renovation project" & "The best tourism Project in Portugal".

Perfect location for airport drop-off & pick-up as the inexpensive & frequent airport bus (#91) picks up directly outside the airport door & stops literally outside the hotel door - a taxi would be a complete waste of money!

Directions: Near Praca do Rossio

• Excellent place to be in Lisbon

I was there in sptember, 2005, room 915 and I loved, I had red bad news about the cleaning and wrote to them about that. They answered indignated saying they are 4 stars, etc etc

I loved the loccation

Unique Quality: Location, tv, radio, views.

• eVg's Profile Photo

Hotel VIP Eden - Great choice for a stay!

The Hotel itself stands out from all others...it haas a unique design. It is very easy to get to from the airport on the 91 bus, which stops directly in front of it. The roof view is great to take postcard like shots of the city at sunset or dawn.

Unique Quality: 1. Roof with a poll, available 24/7
    2. Rradio w/ CD
    3. KITCHENS, fully equiped with all ware.
    4. Views from windows/roof
    5. Great Location
    ...

Directions: in the center....close by Avenida Palace Hotel

• HOTEL ROBBERY!!!

I stayed at the VIP Eden in late August . On the 3rd day of my stay, my room was burglarized in the afternoon while my friend and I were out sightseeing. We returned to the hotel at around 7:30pm to find our clothes all over the floor, my luggage slashed open (b/c it was locked) and my friend's luggage missing. The room was locked when we got back and did not show any signs of forced entry. The woman at the front desk seemed sympathetic but said there was nothing she could do nor was there a security guard I could talk to.
    Luckily, most of our valuable possesions were with us at the time of robbery like passports, digital cameras, etc.. The thieves mysteriously left behind a few items that did not belong to us like a Dutch magazine and phone number written on a piece of paper. I told the front desk we'd be checking out after we returned from the police which was located just two doors down from the hotel.
    When we told the police officer about the strange "clues" left in the room, he said that thieves do that on purpose to confuse people & it sounded like they were experienced.
    Ok, here's the best part. By now it's 10pm and we're at the front desk checking out, with several garbage bags in tow carrying all our stuff. The woman behind the desk wants to charge me for that night because we're checking out after 6pm! I couldn't believe it. We got into it and I reiterated how we were just robbed through no fault of our own at this hotel with no security. At one point in our argument, she actually said (referring to thieves) "well that's what they do!" Really? Thanks for the fyi. The problem is not yet resolved. My credit card company is disputing the third night charge on my behalf.
    Anyway, I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone. As careful as I was about everything I'd heard about crime in Lisbon, you just can't anticipate something like this. If you can afford it, spend the extra money to get a better hotel, or choose somewhere else.

• frir's Profile Photo

We first stayed at Dom...

We first stayed at Dom Rodrigo, very bad service, but they have a few great girls, really nice. And then we stayed at Orion Eden it was in a great location, we had the metro station and the train staition right next to us. Right of Ave. La Libertade.
    75.00 per night with kithchen and living room, wish it's not so fun!!! :-))

• anglosaxon's Profile Photo

Apartment Hotel Orion Eden

Unique Quality: As I was staying for a few months I wanted something a bit different. The Orion Eden has no gym or restaurant but, it does have a nice pool on the top and a breakfast buffet looking up at the Castle with it's lemon and orange trees scattered about. The staff speak at least 4 languages and they helped me out big time in a medical situation. Or on Information gives hotel details and prices.

Directions: Restauradores (above Virgin) central. I got a discount for a long booking but, normal price for a studio apartment is about 19000 esc (60 pounds). However there are lots of clean hotels in this area.

More about Orion Eden

Quality Of Aparthotels in Lisbon

by schrilli

Dear lovers of Lisbon,

who can tell me something about the following aparthotels?

Hotel Apartamento Orion Eden

schrilli

Re: Quality Of Aparthotels in Lisbon

by rp6686

Hello.

I’ve never been to any of those hotels but I found some (useful) links on the internet with some reviews.

Hotel Apartamento Orion Eden
========================

Real Residência Suite Hotel
=======================

Clarion Suites Lisboa
=================
This website is spanish but I think you can translate it with success with tools like http://babelfish.altavista.com

Good luck.

Have fun in Lisboa.

Cheers.
RP

Re: Quality Of Aparthotels in Lisbon

by mcb

I don't know any inside but i can tell you about location...

Orion Eden - It's an old building all reconstructed ( it was first a Virgin store), is very well locate, near central plaza (Rossio), near the tourist office,near the castle, Bairro Alto, a lots of transportation, subway in front etc should be good...

Real Residência Suite Hotel, is more far from centre, far from subway, if you want to explore city don’t go for this one, should be more quiet place…

Clarion Suites Lisboa, don’t have subway in front you have to go down( and then up) to Marques de Pombal, but it is in a road where are the best hotels in Lisbon, like Ritz... it is good anyway.

To access by foot to the historical part of city better the first one in Praça do Restauradores.

need more info write.